Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

We need some SERIOUS optimization for planets.

Discussion in 'General' started by Schnitzel, Feb 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Harrekin Master Engineer

That is one of the lowest end PC's you could ever possibly buy, don't even try imply it "mid-highish".

And FYI it's integrated graphics support DX11...

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SirLANsalot Apprentice Engineer

My Atari 800 XL still works just fine :), I only have Boulder Dash (and Super Boulder Dash on the reverse side) and a Golf game I forget the name of.
    Yes thats fine, you built it for one reason, however I know people who do the same thing for a gaming rig, and that is just pants on head retarded.

When going for the highest end of high end, you could care less about fan noise or power consumption, that is all secondary to the stats you are aiming for. Is it nice to have low fan noise or low watts? Yes, but its not the reason you are aiming for in a gaming rig.

I have a Thermaltake Level 10 GT case, and idiots docked it points in reviews because of "fan noise" (however do not get the watercooled version, it sucks and it leaks badly, I always get air cooled anyways but worth a word of warning). It is by far one of the BEST cases I have ever used, only thing I have used that was better was an Antec Twelve-hundred, but those cases are incredibly hard to find now since they do not make them anymore (3 120mm fans on front, 2 in back, one mid, and one on the side, and a 200mm on top, thing was ice cold with tons of airflow).

3. Potter Apprentice Engineer

As he said, to each their own. I know quite a few people who tend to care about noise but have gaming rigs right on the brink of maximum performance. Specialized fans with high quality bearings or all out custom watercooling can lead to an almost completely silent PC. A lot of gamers go this route for better immersion.

4. Harrekin Master Engineer

I just assumed the inside of my ship has lots of fans somewhere...

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Blako Apprentice Engineer

Fans in space :)
    What was the topic again?
    Ah yes, from a marketing perspective it is in Keen's interest to have a game that runs on many computers and thus have many customers to finance the project. I'm sure keen will try to make a product that works on the "average target machine."

6. Me 10 Jin Apprentice Engineer

The "average target machine" is probably what KEEN is going for, only they're looking a year or two into the future (i.e: when SE is ready to go gold). By then the average rig may be what we would consider a solid gaming rig today. Needless to say, potatoes will remain potatoes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SirLANsalot Apprentice Engineer

Only time to take fan noise into consideration is if your an idiot using a Speaker setup (and if you do, with a microphone, for the love of god set the thing up properly at least so ppl cannot hear you typing in the BG), or a really crappy headset with little to no noise cancellation.
    Even with high end bearings ect ect, fans will make noise due to the fan blades, the faster they spin, the more noise due to air movement. Water cooling is the way to go if you want silent running, but they are a whole other headache to deal with. I aim to use Air Cooling, since it is by far the easiest to work with (or lack there of LOL) and costs far less, having to find cards with water cooling tubes, or having to convert cards to use water cooling.

8. Lancar Senior Engineer

You can reduce fan noise while keeping good airflow by choosing a chassis that houses bigger fans. The bigger, the better. Big fans does not need to reach as high RPM as smaller ones to move the same amount of air, thus cutting down on the noise they make. While It'll never eliminate noise completely, it really does help a lot.
    To make it completely silent you'll probably need a liquid cooling solution.

...or you can just put the computer in another room and get some longer cables for the peripherals. Whatever works :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Potter Apprentice Engineer

Lol no. Sometimes it's just nice to have a quiet PC that has a dragon under the hood. That's something I can appreciate. Plus, I have some more than decent headphones, but I can hear small noises distracting me like my fans speeding up or slowing down according to CPU load.

Yeah, that is an annoying PC noob trend. I'll give ya that one.

Most, sure. But that noise is damn near unnoticeable with fans and cases built for silence. Look at the Be Quiet! line. Pretty sure they weren't engineered for "idiots".

I'm on mostly air and an AIO cooler now. I have a 980ti poseidon that I'm going to make a custom loop for as soon as I have the time. So, again, to each their own. And just because you take fan noise into consideration does not make you an idiot, even if you are on external speakers. Computer building is what you make it, what you aim for is up to you.

10. Harrekin Master Engineer

Do space ships not require air circulation?

You don't wanna get space-mould everywhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Devon_v Senior Engineer

You can get a Steam Link and wireless keyboard and mouse and not even care where the case is. Or Steam Stream to a laptop or potato. It's so easy to be nowhere near your actual computer these days.

And yes, Steam Streaming works for anything, not just Steam games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Krougal Senior Engineer

Yes, yes it is :D

13. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I remember seeing the Antec 1200 at a lan party quite a few years ago now... that thing was huge!! I ended up getting the original 900 gamer case after seeing the 1200, smaller but still with the 200mm fan on top.

14. TheEndersWAR Apprentice Engineer

13 gbs of ram being used all the time on planets its crazy and the graphics isnt ''that'' good :O

15. Mix-martes86 Senior Engineer

Of course, that RAM is being used for terrain (voxels) and ships data. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SirLANsalot Apprentice Engineer

I still have a 900 around here, sadly they are now all old cases and do not have USB 3.0....then again, my mobo still have quite a few on the back....hmm...

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Schnitzel Trainee Engineer

That's.. alot of replies. I'll get a picture of my PC soon.

18. Potter Apprentice Engineer

Well, most of it was off topic PC talk ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

Tech radar, bit tech, all these great websites with side by side comparisons, reviews, sales, cards. I'd take that anyday over walking into a PC World/Comet/Aldi or whatever the hell the shop's named now.

http://www.bit-tech.net/

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Potter Apprentice Engineer

Also, is a good idea to formulate a budget and head to a website like overclock.net and make an account and have the experienced guys n gals pick your parts for you. They won't steer you wrong.

21. KissSh0t Master Engineer

• Informative Informative x 1
  22. TheEndersWAR Apprentice Engineer

23. KissSh0t Master Engineer

They are poop covered in dead flies...

I am ancient guru so my opinion may be biased.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  24. nicklam.gm Trainee Engineer

mr schnitzen, i found a computer for you, GENESIS,

make it so expensive and you will get a SO POWERFUL gaming COMPUTER!,

i choosed so powerful stuffs, that makes price more expensive!, i can make is, HK$187,977!!!!, it's SO expensive for me, if you can buy it, it will be good idea for you to play planets with that computer!.

take a look at it!: https://originpc.asia/hk/System/Genesis

if you like it, then buy it!.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.