Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Welder and grinder for small ships in one block [CLOSED]

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by alienworld, Mar 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. alienworld Trainee Engineer

Hello!

I got one idea and i want share it with you
    How you know, at this moment in Survival mode hard to build big structures. For many reasons like:
    1)Utterly slow processing ores.
    2)Necessity to move resources from ship to refinery in backpack.
    3)Necessity every time go back to assembler for components. At building blocks.

I want to give solution of one problem (3).

Idea is - new block for small ships. Something like welder, but size like drill.
    For work need connect this thing directly to container or conveyor.

The sequence of operation:
    1)Collect stack of components in small ship.
    2)Turn on welder.
    3)Build big ship or station x10 faster.

To more clearly what i was mean, i made fast sketch.

This model just 1h sketch. This high-poly and not optimized.
    If need, i can finish block, create low-poly model and also textured.

<div style="line-height: 20.799999237060547px; background-color: #f7f7f7; text-align: center;">Warring!
    I quote Marek Rosa: "I dont think what we will do welder for small ship at list right now. It is not in priority. But is a good idea."

</div>
    UPDATE!

Added version block with grinder (MK2)

(Thanks Valdemar | FIN | for the idea)

MK-2

Mk-1

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. radam Senior Engineer

You could have included this into any of the 5 other small ship welder suggestions, with the same name. Just saying.

3. TartarusMkII Trainee Engineer

Pair this with my own iteration as well:

http://forums.keenswh.com/post?id=6805314&amp;pid=1281962589#post1281962589

I believe that while the ship-borne welder does not need to be faster, it WILL be faster because you will not need to make multiple trips to carry the building materials.

4. Carrion Senior Engineer

that is however a very well designed welding "block". i really love the look of it.

5. Valdemar |FIN| Junior Engineer

My suggestion is to make a welder-grinder multitool (just like in Tartarus' thread) since there usually isn't one without another.

6. alienworld Trainee Engineer

it is good idea. maybe I will make it later.

7. Valdemar |FIN| Junior Engineer

Here is a quick illustration of what I mean:
    [​IMG]
    A model like that should also keep the polycount relatively simple.

The idea is that it, like your welder, could suck components out of the ship's cargo blocks. And then it could be rotated and do the same thing other way around with the grinder head if needed.

8. alienworld Trainee Engineer

OK, I make this today or Tuesday.

9. Valdemar |FIN| Junior Engineer

Thank you, that would be really cool.

10. alienworld Trainee Engineer

Done:)

11. Valdemar |FIN| Junior Engineer

That's actually quite gorgeous. Nice job!

12. alienworld Trainee Engineer

I hope the developers also like it .. thanks)

13. pirate Apprentice Engineer

It should fully retract when neither head is 'selected', so that it's out of the way. When either is selected it should fully extend, then retract incrementally as you press up against something while you're working. This way you still have precision but don't have to position your ship so exactly. It'd also look more lively... ships don't have enough moving parts.

14. alienworld Trainee Engineer

It's just a concept for my suggestion. My goal is to convey this idea to the developers.
    Models made for illustration purposes only. And for fun).
    I do not think that developers include my models in their game. The main thing is that they might receive my idea.

15. Leadfootslim Senior Engineer

I'd love to see this made a reality.

16. pirate Apprentice Engineer

I can picture them crowdsourcing community models, so it makes sense to go ahead and plan animation sequences alongside the model (which looks great, by the way!)

17. alienworld Trainee Engineer

Thank you) OK, I will make better animation and textures in my free time.

18. Mac D Junior Engineer

@ alienworld. That design is looking good, especially with Valdemar's multitool.

I would suggest making it a similar sized system to the small ship drill overall.

Have it around 3 blocks wide.
    • one side with that grinder/welding arm as is.
    • the middle block as forward conveyer hatch.
    • the other side with a robot arm (similar to what is inside the assembler when partially constructed).

While it is operating it will be removing or placing components from the ship's inventory so should robotic arm and hatch to make this practical.

Would be good to also have conveyer hatches on other sides like the current drill has as well.

19. alienworld Trainee Engineer

I quote Marek Rosa: "I dont think what we will do welder for small ship at list right now. It is not in priority. But is a good idea."
    So, I will not make this model more. Sorry. My suggestion has been declined by developers.

20. marek_rosa Developer Staff

Hi alienworld,

I don't want you to feel bad about this, so I want to assure that I appreciate your idea and dedication you put into your model.

I can't say we declined your idea forever, but I also don't want to give you a false hope.

Let's just say that we have other priorities at this moment (factions, dedicated servers, communications...) and I don't want to make promises about what will we do after we finish all these actual priorities (and tons of other that we don't speak about publicly).

I hope you will understand this.

Bye,
    Marek

21. alienworld Trainee Engineer

Hi, Marek! Thanks for the answer. I do not feel bad about this. I understand everything and I am very pleased that my idea considered good :)
    Good luck in developing this amazing game!

22. alienworld Trainee Engineer

new update has pleased me :D

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.