Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Welding Torch Irritating my Eyes

Discussion in 'Survival' started by Mako565, Mar 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Mako565 Trainee Engineer

I played for a few hours today and spent a lot of time with the torch constructing various things in survival, after about an hour I noticed my eyes were becoming sore and I started to get a killer headache which is unusual since this never happens when I game for extended periods.
    After taking a break for a few hours I hopped back on to show a friend the ropes in our server and a few minutes of welding and I noticed that the light from the welding torch was essentially turning my monitor into a strobe light. The contrast with the brightness of the surrounding in game world and the bright flashing torch is pretty extreme and basically beat the crap out of my eyes. I tried turning the monitors brightness all the way down and even using sunglasses with little effect on releaving the bright contrast.

Does anyone else have this issue? Or perhaps advice on what to do to eliminate it aside from stop using the torch?

2. Spets Master Engineer

adjust your monitor

3. Leadfootslim Senior Engineer

An in-game GUI button that puts a "welding visor" effect to darken your screen would be a simple solution, and one based in realism. Menus would need to remain illuminated, of course, but this would be tremendously simple to implement.

4. Igneous01 Apprentice Engineer

i have the same issue with the brightness as well, it's difficult to look at because of its intense brightness and flickering. I have the same issue with gatling guns that are close to the cockpit. Im hoping they reduce the brightness so its not so harsh.

5. Xocliw Public Relations Staff

Yeah interesting this came up, after 3 hours of welding I do find myself looking away from screen or looking at it from corner of my eye. It is a bit annoying but at same time don't mind cause welders are meant to be pretty damn bright :cool:.

6. Andarne Apprentice Engineer

I've done some welding in the past as an apprentice. The welder that we're using in-game is, in my opinion, MIG. It uses electricity to complete the weld, and given that our suits carry energy, I'd say this is a close-bet.

New (arc) visors are capable of auto-adjusting to reduce the glare, and they're stronger than oxy-acetylene goggles, but the ones I used were single-strength (the facility didn't bother buying new ones, unless the older models were damaged). It was a case of mask-down, weld, mask-up, check, mask-down, weld, etc.

7. OrangeAaron Apprentice Engineer

The trick it to have the light of the room you are in match the brightness of your computer screen. Also every hour or so you should take a 15 minute break and let your eyes fix on something distant since having your eyes look at something close for a long time can tire them. Hope this helps.

8. Leadfootslim Senior Engineer

Nice to see more people getting into the field. And yea, it's obviously MIG, because trying to do TIG while operating a jetpack would be like juggling on a unicycle.

As a professional metalworker, I can tell you that auto-darkeners will mess your eyes up, because there's a flicker of a second before the auto-darkener kicks in, during which your eye is not adjusted. Add those up over a lot of welding time and you may as well be staring directly at the light for a few minutes a day. It's quite possible that the same thing could happen in SE if staring at the welder ingame already aggravates the eyes. That'd be my reasoning for a manual toggle rather than an automatic solution.

9. Andarne Apprentice Engineer

I wish. Most folks around here are looking for the time-servers....

Improbable, but not impossible. ;)

I actually support the manual-toggle idea. It'd be a lot easier to program than having it calculate when the wlder was activated.

10. Hawthorn Apprentice Engineer

I'd loooove a toggle-able wielding mask. :D It'd be like putting on sunglasses.
    The welding torch is super strobe-light-bright for me, 'cause I've got an LED monitor.

11. Ice Forge Apprentice Engineer

How about having it as both? a toggle feature and an automatic one ( able to swap between in menu? ) where the automatic one turns on when you equip the welder?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.