Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What Are We Reasonably Expecting Will be Addressed in the "Survival Update"?

Discussion in 'General' started by Stardriver907, Jun 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Calaban Junior Engineer

A true engineer stuck trying to survive on an earthlike world with uranium and solid ice lakes everywhere would/should know that a simple homemade Thermovoltaic is Copper-Copper Oxide-Copper unijunction... made "simply" by twisting two copper wires tightly together and burning them until their contacting surfaces Char/Burn/Oxidize, and being careful not to let the char flake off (thats the magic stuff, if copper is on either side of it amounts to conductors/heat pipes). then have one end of the twisted pair be "hotter" the other "colder", arranged in a soup can with a lump of radioactives int he center, and embed the can in an ice lake. Presto! a homemade RTD power generator that may (given 3 months of twisting and charring) barely generate the 5v, 300ma his arm mounted PipBo.... erm... arm PDA needs to signal for help.

...just saying. It may not be pretty, nor efficient. but will get you tons of groupies at a Maker Faire. Potato batteries are small time. So, in that light -if SE was realistic at all it should make a single rotor be able to make a small reactor, but the welder time to build should take months. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Just stop it. Stop it now!

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Calaban Junior Engineer

But I thought the Game was "who could supernerd out the most"... ?

4. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I dumped my nerd bucket three decades ago. No, sir! You'll not catch me nerding around.
    --- Automerge ---
    Oh-hell-no!

5. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

Um, now that it's been brought up. Should us nerds really be debating what should be in survival? <Snork> All I know about thurvival ith <weez> that my ST:TNG pocket protector can double as a rain catcher! hee haah <snork> :D

6. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I started nerding around age 12. I like to nerd every few days or so unless I'm in a relationship.

7. Calaban Junior Engineer

1983 called. They want their version of a Nerd back.

Its 2019. Its not politically correct to make fun of a deviated septum or asthma in a fellow peer anymore... It just makes you look like Biff from Back to the Future.

Oh and as for the "problem is in unlocking" and "come up with a differential equation" sub joke:
    ... I dont think adding differential settings to suspension wheel block pairs, or a locking differential gearbox block would do us any favors in this games' development.

8. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

Ah hate manure!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Hello? Hello? Anybody home, huh, Think, McFly! Think!

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

It's also time that we stop making fun of people that have something going on beyond their control that makes them different. Those people are already tougher because they have to put up with our BS.

I remember being overwhelmed when I first saw the game four years ago. I can't imagine what I would have done if I had seen the game for the first time today.

I think Good.bot is supposed to iron out the wrinkles by providing instant answers. I think the problem now is that it isn't getting any questions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Malware Master Engineer

I'm starting to suspect you didn't take part in the last test, sorry for making that assumption. I'm not talking about Good. Bot either, but a block unlock system introduced for the next major, where most of the blocks are locked. Not hidden, just locked, and you have to build certain blocks which then unlocks a new set. For instance, I must build a landing gear before I can build a cockpit.

12. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I didn't take part in the "test" either. I'm not one of the beautiful people.

13. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

I know :). I was kind of contrasting that method (tech tree) with Good.bot as a way of getting new players up to speed.

14. TodesRitter Moderator

@Burstar & @mojomann71 you both went a little bit to much offtopic.

See this as a warning.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Saying people need to toughen up to troll comments and I get a warning....ok....

But the trolls in many of the forums sections are warning free ...makes total sense.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  16. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

You tell ‘em! I’m so mad I can’t talk!

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

Can we just drop the troll/warning/not troll/pc stuff please before it goes much further? This has been both an amusing and informative thread and I for one would rather it not get locked or shovelled off to some other obscure section of the forum that never gets read.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I could always blast ‘em with my trusty blaster. See the look on my avatar’s face? That’s what I’m talking about!

19. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

So anyways, back on topic. I hope weather effects are addressed in the Survival Update, especially with the addition of Wind Turbines. This game definitely needs more snowflakes!

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Roxette Senior Engineer

I heard they tried to add a new improved trash removal tool, but it kept deleting the game. >.>

• Funny Funny x 2
  21. Calaban Junior Engineer

A good on topic thing I hope is addressed is the SpaceManSpiff plasma gun... only the more awesome 40k Space Marine version (because of course- 40k always wins)

Same general pose and everything.

The point is- better weapons options, with "substantial" consequences/risks in their rather unwise usage (is what I hope gets addressed in the next update)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  22. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I can't see the image! Focus! FOCUS!!

23. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@Roxette careful you may draw a warning! :)

24. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Say it ain't so! :eek:

25. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

For the record, I didn't report anyone.

Somewhere around the time Keen teased the new handgun there was a thread about hand tools and weapons in general. There was a lot of back and forth about guns, but not much in the way of hand tools. Are we ever going to have anything more than hand drill, welder and grinder? We can't even get anything from Modders for some reason.

Not even a medical scanner?

26. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

27. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

That would be cool to have!

28. Thrak Junior Engineer

Digi's paint gun is an awesome hand tool!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=500818376&searchtext=paint+gun

29. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Don't know if those qualify as hand tools.

But then, I've never seen your hands :D
    --- Automerge ---
    So, have you seen today's play test?

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. ObjectZero Apprentice Engineer

Just going to leave this thought here before I forget about it. But do you think they'll ever consider gravity part of survival? Cause we as humans do need gravity. We can go for a long while without it but it's not good for us in the long term.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.