Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What Are We Reasonably Expecting Will be Addressed in the "Survival Update"?

Discussion in 'General' started by Stardriver907, Jun 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

The detrimental effects of zero gravity are still not widely understood. By 2077 we should have a better idea of what would happen and how long it would take for things to become too severe to reverse, along with the type of therapy needed to prolong health.

However, in the SE universe in 2077 you can buy an artificial gravity generator and never have to deal with the problem.

2. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Artificial gravity is like artificial flavorings...they seem real, but deep down you know they’re not.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. ObjectZero Apprentice Engineer

@Stardriver907 & @Spaceman Spiff that's kind of my point (it was only half thought out really). We have an artificial gravity generator in game already but it's impact on the player isn't that great. Right now it's more a take or leave it thing. (edit) The game has the tools to fix the problem and already measures the effect of gravity on the player. It just seems like wasted potential.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effect_of_spaceflight_on_the_human_body ~ Most convenient source
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaceflight_osteopenia ~ Bone and muscle deterioration (this one get the most attention even thought it take a very long time)
    Fluid redistribution would be more effective to account for and happens faster then Bone and Muscle deterioration.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  4. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Could this lack of gravity result in an increased incidence of rectal/cranial inversions?

5. Sarekh Senior Engineer

Stop trying to make this your personal game... on the other hand.. I like where this is going, carry on!

6. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

To quote from (Col.) Danning from Wormhole X-Treme (100th episode of Stargate SG-1): "Hey! It's what I do."

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@ObjectZero not sure what you mean. Gravity is in the game on the planets and you have the ability to build gravity generators. It isn't an essential part of survival, we have had an astronaut in real life spend over a year in space in 0g.

8. Thrak Junior Engineer

You're oversimplifying. That astronaut lost a significant amount of bone and muscle mass, along with experiencing other effects, which took time to recover from once back on earth. AND they had to exercise for hours a day.

Yes, as @ObjectZero says, long term weightlessness does have an effect on the human body. It, along with radiation, are the two chief physical challenges in sending explorers to Mars. However, it is an effect over time... so I am not sure how much game play value it would have. But it is a real thing.

9. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Bodily functions are an important part, more important than gravity effect. That does not mean I really want bodily functions added to the game! Lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

11. ObjectZero Apprentice Engineer

@Thrak I'd like radiation to come in to gameplay as well, but there is nothing in the game for it yet.

Back to gravity the quickest effect would be Orthostatic hypotension. The longer the effect of low or zero gravity the great it would effect someone even under short stays in micro gravity. Normal effects are light headness, blurred vision and lose of motor function. A player would have trouble moving for a while once returning to the planet or any place with 1G. The duration this would last would depend on how long you spend in micro gravity.

12. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

So, what you are proposing is a mechanic that keeps track of the amount of time you spend in zero gravity, and then apply some sort of penalty to the character when they have to be in a gravity well, artificial or otherwise. Am I close?

13. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I can build a gravity generator with a welding torch that runs on electricity... in a couple of minutes... about this realism thing...

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Electricity? I see a flame tip, and that tells me it's an oxy-acetylene (or similar) rig.

15. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

I have brought up the welding torch thing before about how unrealistic it is to build everything with it, like how computer parts wouldn't hold up etc..of course I got flamed for bringing that up...seems people are cool with a welder being the end all fix all :) While we all know it is not realistic, people seemed to be on the opposite side of me on that. Glad to see someone else thinks the same way finally! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ObjectZero Apprentice Engineer

Correct @Stardriver907 . It seem like a minor problem at first, but if you fail to take in to account it can end badly.

17. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

Not to mention the amount of stuff they break by just letting it go after being used to it just floating there.

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

As has been said before, this is a game, so some realism does have to be overlooked.
    Also this is future based, maybe our Engineers have nanobots injected into their system to help alleviate "Gravity (or lack of) sickness" . Sometimes the blanks just have to be filled in with a bit of imagination. :)

19. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

Considering we are never out of our suits it is entirely possible the suit provides enough resistance to prevent atrophy and since the medical bay heals you within seconds it can be assumed that there are sufficient advances in medicine to assist also.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I can see the headlines now: "Doctors hate him for looking and feeling younger by doing this one weird trick!"

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

22. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

It's not a problem. I clicked this...

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  23. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Sad thing is there probably is a link out there like this! Hahahaha

24. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Nope. It's as clean as a preacher's conscience.

25. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Well, as you can see by the ensuing posts, popular belief is that by 2077 this won't be an issue.

I believe your idea has merit, but as long as the game supports the notion of artificial gravity being an off-the-shelf thing in 2077, the notion of entropy due to lack of gravity would, therefore, be a non-issue since a player could, even with "tiers" and "research trees", eventually build gravity generators long before they "realistically" suffered from the effects of gravity deprivation. Since the game does not support the means by which we would probably actually induce gravity (centrifugal force), the gravity generators are going to be with us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Well, after two play tests it looks to me like the Survival (Gameplay) Update is centered around the "grind", as in you won't be able to make Y until you have made X, and they are going to screw around with ore distribution to make it more difficult to make X. Justification seems to be that this "forces" players to "learn" and at the same time slows progress for a more satisfying experience.

I'm not a new player by any standard, so I don't know if this is the right path. All I know is that I didn't need any of that to like the game. I'm wondering if this is what will get people off the fence?

27. MajorTom Apprentice Engineer

While I like the new blocks, I REALLY wish they'd add a 1x1x1 Connector to go with the 1x1x1 Battery, for better Drone/work pod management.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Small grid 1x1x1 Merge block added would be great. Yes I know there are mods with it, just to have it as Vanilla. Not sure why they have not added it yet. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. odizzido Junior Engineer

It's not what I was hoping for myself. I was hoping for some new engineering challenges to overcome. But if you're keen and you see how many people want unlocks and grind, then you look at how relatively safe and easy that is to implement the choice is pretty easy. I have yet to play the survival update but for me the only new challenge is how to start without the game being completely tedious. It's something at least and I do look forward to checking that part out.

30. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Just turn of the option to "research" in options. Not too tedious. :) lol

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.