Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What Are We Reasonably Expecting Will be Addressed in the "Survival Update"?

Discussion in 'General' started by Stardriver907, Jun 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Calaban Junior Engineer

While continuing to play the beta as a backup, I have learned a few of the survival challenges. And I approve.

Ore is more scarce and harder to locate ( and apparently ice is no longer sorted as an "ore" for the detector), resulting in real supply bottlenecks: for example I was stuck on foot unable to fly an ore detector around far longer than ideal simply because I couldn't locate any Cobalt to hand drill ( them metal grids).

Also, grids have the much more likely issues of simply running out of power. Gone are the days of speed modules not draining all your batteries in 6 minutes while running.

It keeps us honest, finally. We have to balance power supply and drain now. We can no longer simply sit with a single reactor and a refinery full of uranium and then forget about it... At least not at first.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

And just where are we getting hydrocarbons from?

3. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Point being the game is not 100% realistic, some things have to just be taken with a grain of salt. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

My ass?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Calaban Junior Engineer

Food and bodily functions only matter if we are NOT merely printed out biomechanical clones (stop and look at a medbay internals at stage 2 of assembly) with an average extancy of 30 minutes in Clang's Universe.

As for the torches, you thought oxy/acetylene had high chemical energy density for handheld torch effectiveness, you should try oxy/liquid hydrogen torches.

:eek:Actually maybe you shouldn't, for the above mentioned extancy reasons

• Like Like x 1
  6. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Maybe it is based off of Atomic hydrogen welding?

Again the game is not 100% realistic, just gotta roll with the punches.

7. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Here's a quote from that link: "This process is being replaced by gas metal-arc welding, mainly because of the availability of inexpensive inert gases."
    My own experience with fabrication shops is that GMAW is widely used and preferential for welding the stainless steel structures that I design. But I'm certainly no welding expert, and only have a passing knowledge of the various processes.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

The welder uses electricity. The flame is just to provide a light source :stare:

However, I ask you if you were making the game and needed to have a hand tool that you need to build stuff, what tool would YOU make? I understand why they used a torch, but they could have used a laser torch. What other hand tool would be iconic enough to serve as a metaphor for modern building?

9. Calaban Junior Engineer

Then again- it IS welding, in space. So.. why not just "cold weld"?

10. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

A Hammer!! Lol.

11. Roxette Senior Engineer

A roll of duct tape ?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

What would be cool to see, but would take to much effort, would be to have different tools for different jobs. Certain things you build maybe have the game make you use a hand drill, screwdriver and even the trusty torch etc. Not implying that Keen should do that, but maybe some other game in the future could use that type of idea. Maybe there already is a game out there like that. SE, ME and Scrap Mechanic are basically all the building/engineering games I play.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

I went to post something under a diffrent topic and it ended up here, so disregard this, it should not even be here... LOL

15. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

But it's Flex Tape...can go anywhere...can fix anything!

16. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Where do I insert the nozzle to recharge the tank and how long should it take?

17. Calaban Junior Engineer

just to veer a bit back on topic.

What I would expect in survival update is some more engineering hand tool kit- something that would be amazing to have, no matter space or planet:

oh, and a

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Way to go. You ruined the surprise for me. :(

19. DragonShadow Apprentice Engineer

How can we unless salt gets added for mining? :?

On a serious note I was hoping for more of an overhaul than just a few blocks and a...not-really-a-tech-tree. But I'll reserve judgment until the final release of the patch and we get more information. The addition of temperature notifications has me hopeful of some more complexity there at least.

20. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Taken. Play Medieval Engineers.

More of an iconic repair item. Perhaps it would display if you are working on something that was already built once?

You know, that stuff actually works.

I was hoping NPCs would get some attention. Will we ever actually see a Space Pirate, or are they actually a race of ships? Will there be any other animals besides wolves, and will they still eat your base? Will the spiders ever get that last pair of legs?

So many unanswered questions...

• Like Like x 2
  21. Dabombinable Trainee Engineer

1 word. Dirt.

22. Calaban Junior Engineer

17 words.

solar abrasive charged particle wind scouring all the loose dirt away all the time. Like radioactive sandblasting

23. KissSh0t Master Engineer

A new live stream regarding the update was released.

24. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Thus, the purpose of this thread has come to an end.

Now all the threads will be about what didn't happen ;)

25. Calaban Junior Engineer

I am a little wary of "Survival release date is April Fool's Eve"

• Funny Funny x 1
  26. KissSh0t Master Engineer

After watching the whole video I really liked what Marek said about his idea of "Living Worlds", and also the idea of having a type of short Arcade Mode battle type servers sounded interesting too.

27. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Isn't the release date February 28th, and isn't April fool's day on April 1st? What happened to March?

• Agree Agree x 4
  28. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

It marched off in protest of there not being lakes of space beer added.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Maybe because it wasn't green?

30. Sarekh Senior Engineer

Beer not being green in March, despite St. Paddy's day being in March, thus walking away, putting the Gold Release just prior to April Fool's day... coincidence? I think not!

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.