Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What Are We Reasonably Expecting Will be Addressed in the "Survival Update"?

Discussion in 'General' started by Stardriver907, Jun 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Calaban Junior Engineer

Dangit.. no one fell for it. I was hoping for at least one or two tinhat crazy hype train posts

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

You had me going...

3. Calaban Junior Engineer

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  4. DragonShadow Apprentice Engineer

Technically it's both. The game is going gold, out of early access. They're still going to be adding more over time though, this signifies what they say is a solid foundation for the game.

5. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

A final product release is what it is. But it does not mean things can not be added after. Many games - like MMO's are constantly adding new items to their titles, this will not be different.

6. KissSh0t Master Engineer

• Like Like x 1
  7. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

A bit late now, but, I was reading a blog about "old school renaissance" role-playing games, discussing why exploring ruins are such a staple of that genre of games. The concept works reasonably well for Space Engineers; I don't think we can really expect NPCs and the like, but we could find half-ruined ships and structures. Some of my best experiences in Space Engineers, where I felt most engaged, involved finding derelict ships and structures, and modifying them to serve my purposes.

The downside to that was, I've only found a few derelict ships that were close enough to viable designs that it was worth modifying them. Some of them just make me sad. For instance, the DSF3 Duchessa is gorgeous -- and I couldn't work out how to pressurize the interior without spoiling the design.

Anyway, it'd be nice if they went back over the "exploration mode" derelicts, with an eye towards designs that an engineer can make use of with some effort.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

IIRC the original deal was that you tagged a blueprint as "exploration" and, if chosen, it would become part of the game and you would be included in the credits. I think after a short while many people checked the "exploration" box because it was there, thus creating a flood of entries that Keen's staff may have stopped looking at entirely. It may have been a good idea to "start over" after the release of 1.188 in order to get ships that are more compatible. Now it might be too late.

9. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

Sure, they'd have to come up with a new mechanic for submissions, but that's not particularly hard. "Put #DerelictContest2019 in the description" or something. It would be actually selecting the ships that would be the challenge.

This reminds me, that when I uploaded my ships, I always used the "Exploration" tag, as I hadn't understood what that was about, and I've been meaning to figure out how to change the tags.

10. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@FoolishOwl you should be able to go back to your ship BP click edit and then click publish, once the page comes up to publish you can uncheck exploration and check the boxes you want it to fall under. Then republish and it will correct it on the Steam page. Used to be able to do it, I haven't had to update a ship in a while so I can't say this is 100% correct still. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

There are so many exploration ships that really don't fit in survival for various reasons. Giant hunks of heavy armor providing so many recources it takes hours and hours to use it all up, ships thousands of kilos of uranium or thousands of missiles, ship designs so old they don't have any of the more modern blocks and feel extremely dated or even ships with design flaws so blatent they are downright dangerous. Looking at you, RAVEN.

I find it very odd how all of the exploration ships I have found (bear in mind these are abandoned vessels) are completly intact and operable, usually with power available just needs somebody to flip the switch. Would be really cool to have ships that are wrecks rather than this. Take your super duper exploration ship and ram it into an asteroid and then give it a broadside of rockets for good measure, blueprint the largest remaining peice of wreckage and submit that instead.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Thing about "exploration" ships/stations is that when the project was announced there was a lot of excitement about the prospect of finding a ship or something way out there that was cooler than anything Keen would make. Soon there were reports here and there about someone finding a ship. I think there was even a thread made about what was found and where. I thought then ( and I still do now) that it was a great idea. But...

On more than one occasion I happened to tune in to someone's stream when they encountered an exploration ship. To my horror, instead of boarding the ship and making it their own, they either ground it down or riddled it with gunfire. I felt really bad for the poor bastard that made the ship and was so proud of it that they submitted it for "exploration".

It can't be helped, I guess.

13. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

That is a good idea, I had thought about that myself. Sadly though the blocks are so flimsy now there is hardly anything left of a ship if you ram at a decent speed.

14. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I only ever found an "exploration" ship by using a mod that locates them.... other than that first day of playing to find them I have never found one by chance.

The most fun for me was watching a youtube video of someone finding my infinity carrier, it was like omg it's in the game... haha... although now it wouldn't make sense for it to be in the game, it's a pre-oxygen build after all, a lot of the exploration ships are too old and don't make sense in the current game.

15. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I found one (and only one) once when out mining somewhere. I saw a "glint" in the distance and was shocked to find a derelict. It wasn't much though...an empty shell of a facility with no real way to install components with interconnectivity that wouldn't ruin the aesthetics of the build.

16. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

The first time I found one, it was a huge stroke of luck: Base 531. I spent a lot of hours upgrading it -- it was one of the newer designs, and had plenty of space to allow customization. After that, I installed Midspace's exploration ship scan, expanded my visibility range, and went hunting for derelicts. I found a lot, but nothing as good as that first find.

17. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I started using Midspace's Exploration Ship Scan, too. But then I bounced around in Creative awhile back...set my view distance to 50 km, moved 100 km or so, then hit Alt-F10 and looked at the entity list for grids. I found dozens of different builds out there. STARTERSHIP was the most bizarre...long and red, with over 500k of uranium ingots onboard. Crazy.

18. Thrak Junior Engineer

STARTERSHIP is the reason I stopped using Midspace's scanner. 500K of uranium and you win the game....

19. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

Wasn't one of the explicit rules for "exploration ships" that they not have fuel?

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Hey, nobody ever told me that. But I stopped checking that box about the third or fourth blueprint I posted anyway.

21. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@FoolishOwl Exploration ships was suggested to have very little Uranium in them. They were not to have rotors, pistons or mods.

22. Calaban Junior Engineer

There is a way to remove that offensively ugly red startership from the derelict span list.. Its the same way to add wrecks of your own to the possibilities. its a file list somewhere in the SE directory. MeridiusX/Lucas (I think it was) has a guide in the steam workshop you can look up.

..Or just wait till next Thursday, and see if you'll ever see it again

• Like Like x 1
  23. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Who cares? I just ignore it.

24. Calaban Junior Engineer

What I expect in the upcoming survival update (next Thor'sDay), is to get in line for Fightlessbirds awesome server hardware, to join his "hardcore" survival world in the new update.

I may stake a claim somewhere in the freshly wiped Keen official servers as well, but they wont be as smooth as the above mentioned one. The "fresh start for everyone- no battlcruisers stomping around yet" has its appeal.

I dont know if the Keen official server will have npcs or encounters at all (i Kinda hope so- as its a big point of this update), but I would love to make an encounter Ponos a mini base ship (su-oOPER fast when fixed up, btw), and maybe elbow into a cute little Hermit Vault, as well. I will honor the dead clones I come across, merge blocking them to a little campfire vigil together somewhere (I figure- I stole their ship, dont want to heap insult to injury).. Nothing creepy though... I promise. :stare:

25. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

How does one go about learning this new power?

26. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I read that Steam has a new thing in beta for games to run dedicated servers on Steam servers, essentially any game on Steam would be able to have dedicated servers for games on Steam..... that would be pretty cool for SE.

27. ObjectZero Apprentice Engineer

Thinking it over the one thing I'm expecting to happen, pretty much 100% sure of is I'll be re-designing all my ships again.

28. Calaban Junior Engineer

Ship designs, specifically flying, stuff carrying ship designs; are "evolved" in form and performance specs to the world, server, and even universe version they find themselves trying to function in.

It is an interesting peek into the complexity of the game how a x1, x3, Earth like, alien word underlying setup results in completely different specs.

Oh and if it hasn't become clear yet: the survival update/ out of early access version is a completely different universe. The laws of weights, mass, and thrust output, as well as energy density per Kw/h are fundamentally different.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

I guess I didnt play the test branches long enough to notice mass and thrust output changes, when I played "felt" the same to me :?

30. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I didn't play the test at all. It's going to be like an entirely new game for me.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.