Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What Are We Reasonably Expecting Will be Addressed in the "Survival Update"?

Discussion in 'General' started by Stardriver907, Jun 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I admit that I've mastered capturing all of the vanilla stations, ships, and drones, and many of the modded versions. I especially get a thrill out of a ship's AI's decision to crash itself once a hostile entity is detected onboard. I call those guys a "smash-and-grab"...loot the reactors and maybe grab some reactor or jump drive components, and fly away. Even the most heavily defended ships or stations have a weak spot that can be exploited.

But, after awhile, all this gets old and stale. Build empires? I could put a lot of energy and thought into the design of a new and what I think is a fantabulous ship or station, but it's of little or no value to anyone else. Meh. I like playing the survival scenarios, but that's just me.

2. Calaban Junior Engineer

That just gave me an idea on how to make raiding stations and outposts much more challenging:

Procedurally Randomized interior turret placement, and numbers. Or- if that is too hard to code/spawn, increase the number of outwardly identical variants to spawn from

• Like Like x 1
  3. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I'll call that suggestion...wait for it..."turrets syndrome." :carlton:

4. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Boobie-traps on different identical variants. You can also do some pretty cruel stuff with pirate antennas that get activated with a sensor set to detect players inside of the ship. Nothing like being inside a ship when something nefarious materializes from out of nowhere that is going all honey badger on you because it's set to a secondary NPC faction.

5. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

I believe rotors and pistons were "discouraged".
    :stare:

6. Calaban Junior Engineer

Turrets syndrome because of the sudden outbursts you scream when you die again. and again. disappointed by the realization that you are a Space Engineer, and not in fact a Precog who can see through walls to skillfully disable a ship... imagine the mayhem that would ensue with the simple addition of a hidden battery on an Argentavis. So much for Plan A...

To add to the boobytrapped identical variant stations, with antenna triggered drone spawning-
    ... I wonder if a drone can be spawned to target the ship floating outside a station while the maniac with the grinder is busy inside...?

7. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I think that's the only real reason I would build a big ship...so I could booby-trap it six ways from Sunday! Oh, yeah!!

8. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  9. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

You build a big ship in SE, it's automatically booby-trapped.

It's a feature.

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I had an idea for a trojan horse. You create a medbay and a programmable block that's hidden deep in a ship. You set the programmable block to monitor the ship's location and check to see if any blocks have been grinded. You disguise the names as a light, cargo block, yield module, etc. and hide them on the terminal menu. When triggered the programmable block renames the med bay with it's current coordinates in the world. First the X coordinate, then a few seconds later the Y, then Z.

You leave the ship somewhere the bait will be taken. Whenever you log in, and respawn, you'll see if the ship has been moved. You can jot down the coordinates by refreshing in the respawn menu.

Even if you can't respawn at the medbay, you'll know right where it is. Set jump drives and unleash your fury. It's not guaranteed to work, especially if they depower the ship or completely grind it down. But if the Athenians had burned their horse rather than wheeled it in... the story would have been different there too.

11. Calaban Junior Engineer

In mp worlds when I am about to abandon an asteroid base or something, because I know I'm going somewhere else long term-

I boobytrap the hell out of it, and make the medbay owner Mr Nobody. Then while I'm off elsewhere, I enjoy reading the comments while-
    :munch:

During last MP test I setup an unowned medbay- naming it "Ackbar's Backpack Farm", with an always on welder under the catwalk panel where the spawn in drops an engineer. zzZZAP! The welder also is in range of the locked door right in front of the spawn point, so trying to grind it is futile while they're getting Zapped. Over the door is a corner LCD clearly stating "ITS A TARP!!!" (not a typo- I just think its funnier that way). Outside of the medbay room trap was a scorched earth sensor, linked to all of the warheads, so if ever a determined spawner drilled its way out finally, all he would get for his trouble was a hole in a rock.

For those quick witted enough to grab the gps coords and flying there the hard way, the entrance tunnel had welders along its passageway tube blocks, and (stealing an idea from the Corruption Distress signal ship) I placed burning h2 thrusters under active interior turrets to make them seem on fire and "disabled" just long enough for a raider to discover they.. werent ;) and again, if they ever reach the center, the scorched earth sensor detects them. boom.

The only thing missing from the setup was a remote camera feed... and some space sharks with frickin la.... but I guess i'll just have to make do for now.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

My end game stuff has batteries of 100 + gats so I can actually burn ammo pretty quick. I mean there is literally nothing else to do in this game. You can mine so much that your stations and ships become impossible to move without gravity drives. You can't use that stuff to build anything without tanking sim speed so it just fills up volume/mass in cargo.

So there isn't much else to do after a while then ridiculously overkill pirates. Like, cutting argentavis in half with a gat beam. Pizza slicing pirate saucers, etc.
    --- Automerge ---
    Dying in this game means nothing though. Once I've stripped the external defenses and ability to spawn drones I park a medbay equipped salvage thingy right on the target. Then I just cut in with default tools and lemming myself through the ship until I find all the turrets (of course after a while you've got them all memorized!). Then I just come back with real tools and grind away the turret supports.

The derelict ends up filled with my dead clones, but they cost nothing so who cares?

Same goes for booby trapping. A smart player assaults something with a medbay nearby. So the only really effective booby traps are the ones that blow up stuff to destroy loot and possibly the salvage ship. But filling grids with warheads is bad for business otherwise.

13. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

These traps are absolutely...evil!!! You are the god of Space Engineers!!! I gravel at your feet.

14. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Gravel? You must mean stone. :)

15. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Jeez. All I have to do is activate a piston.

Boom.

16. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

That's because you're special.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I once blew up my entire ship just buy placing a piston on it.

I once blew up my vehicle just by wielding a wheel.

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

I've achieved orbit in an un-thrustered rover by turning on a connector, leaving the wheels behind.

My carrier has been to the center of the Earth, my miners have not.

I placed a block, and my entire base just... disappeared (and.. it's gone!).

I used to arm my missiles with 30 kiloton rotors.

I've travelled for an hour to reach the sun, only to discover it was in my merge block the whole time.

#clangstories

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I never do rovers ‘cause they be always ‘sploding on me.

20. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I'll do you one better!

I once hit the speed limit and grew tentacle arms & legs.

I once died and turned into spaghetti.

21. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

I once walked through a door, turned sideways and died.

I made a large ship grinder blade on a rotor to cut ships in half, and a masher to shove the bits into a grinder pit. When I parked on an asteroid they flew off on thier own.

I was once killed by tripping over a 10cm high ledge. Must have been super sharp.

I have many times died from getting out of a chair.

22. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I’ve done the door-death thing several times, and many more times I’ve closed a door only to die when it squished me.

I’ve fallen through a planet to my death many, many times.

23. Calaban Junior Engineer

I once had a slightly misaligned sliding door to sliding door poor man's airlock when I was surviving with no helmet- the auto door closer timer closed the door while I was in the .25 block gap between facing doors... SNIP!

but to be back on topic- what I would expect is for KSH developers to at least be a little amused by these bored @ work posts.

24. Glimmlampe Trainee Engineer

I had a rover that made the planet i was on disapear... including in all previous savegames ;)

about the hunger: the problem with hunger/food mechanic is, that it only provides aditional obstacles where its least needed. namly in early game. it might draw out the start of endgame by a few hours, but to make it an interesting endgame content, it needs great changes to the game itself (and i doubt keen will do this).
    the main problem with survival, at least for me, is that after you have a base and a miner, your in endgame without anything to do, that you can't do in creative. just with much more grinding.
    Why build a larger ship? why go somewhere? resources are plentiful, enemys not a real threat, environment not hazardous, nothing new to explore.

i just thought about this tomorrow and wrote a suggestion for the SE feedback (just to find that there is no option to post it anymore :-/). So i post it here, just because its too good to just delete it again ;)

25. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Give a boost to production in natural gravity: higher/faster yields for refining and faster, lower energy costs for assembling. If the balance is right, then you get a distinct advantage to travel back and forth to a planet. If there are no planets in the game world then it doesn't interfere with game play.

26. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Speaking of no planets, I built a base on the Earthlike moon, then saved my session and quit. When I loaded the session the next day, it took a really long time. When the session finally loaded, the moon was gone. The base was right where I left it, as well as some ships that were hovering, but the moon was gone. Reloading didn't matter.

27. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

As Tom Cullen used to say, “M-O-O-N spells gone.”

28. Malware Master Engineer

@Stardriver907 What's the file name of that moon now?

This sounds like a bug I've been told is fixed in the upcoming update, where the file names of planets go completely heywire. It's fixable, it's not permanently lost... unless you've saved since then.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  29. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Did you check any of your backups for the moon? That's saved my bacon a few times. I believe SE does keep backup copies by default unless you turn it off. A couple instances of SEToolbox should get you where you want to be.

30. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

@Malware @ronin1The file is long gone I had auto -save keeping nine backups, plus I saved before I quit. Base was blueprinted so I started a new session and spawned the base as a station close to the edge of the gravity well.

Lemonade ;)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.