Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What Are We Reasonably Expecting Will be Addressed in the "Survival Update"?

Discussion in 'General' started by Stardriver907, Jun 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

This entire thread is asking the wrong question. It should be, “What can we unreasonably expect?”

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Roxette Senior Engineer

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

You just say that because it’s true.

4. Calaban Junior Engineer

It was kind of sad to hear that airtightness and spiders would not be "main line" and would be retained in "experimental mode"
    :(
    I kind of like running around in space with no helmet- which kind of needs one of those things...

5. Acolyte Apprentice Engineer

What I want to see in survival

1. Configurable threats - I want to be able to set myself something to do after I have built my survival ship. Cargo ships are a start, but I would like to set up a more challenging target, or maybe even a bases, or set of bases, in mid game (ie without using the mod interface or campaign start menu). Making it easy for me to download ships from the workshop for this purpose would be nice.

2. - Thats it, I'm not a fusspot ;-)

What I don't want to see in survival

1. I don't want to maintain a food supply and be required to fill my face every 5 minutes.

2. I should never have any inconvenience whatsoever because "I forgot to close my space helmet visor". This is a stupid feature, you visor should close when you are in space and open when you are in an atmosphere - automatically - the keypress is just dumb gameplay.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I want the dead bodies of space engineers to reanimate into face-eating zombies that are impossible to kill unless you design a machine that cuts their heads off. They spend the entire remainder of the game trying to gnaw on your face like a chew toy until you put the smack-dab on them with you special zombie-killing machine.

That’s all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Roxette Senior Engineer

Why not go the full nine yards and have the helmet that Chris Pratt uses in Guardians ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Morloc Apprentice Engineer

Is there a thread about that somewhere?...

-Morloc

9. Roxette Senior Engineer

Marek answered a question about it in the stream of the new multiplayer update...

10. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

When planets first debuted, I built a large grid rover/mothership. I was irked that it couldn't park on an incline without rolling down. So I put a piston on it and attached a landing gear. I gave it a 9.5 based on the distance and quality of rotation. Though it definitely did not stick the landing.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

The whining for the survival update officially begins this Thursday, btw, as the multiplayer update goes live at 7pm, per @marek_rosa Twitter

12. Morloc Apprentice Engineer

Yaarg!...2.5 hrs.. Well, thank you :)

-Morloc

13. Calaban Junior Engineer

It was worth the sit through for me, W4stedspace said pretty much 1000% what I have been saying: "Just release this now. Even with imperfections, its already 400 times better than the version we still are suffering with to this day"

It was probably the closest I ever came to actually High-Fiving a discord chat icon on my screen.

14. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

It'll be nice to see what we're up against.

;)

15. Kephyr Apprentice Engineer

Zombie engineers would be badass, and way more appropriate than the spiders and especially wolfs.

Personally, I want to see:
    1) The teased Hydrogen engine
    2) Jump drive block (or at least nerf, making the operation more manual and less convenient)
    3) Space-time drag
    4) Something to be done with the gravity drive exploit
    5) The conveyor frame block made more convenient
    6) Wheel placement to be more intuitive

7) (Bonus) Introduce an armor rating stat for blocks that will make them less prone to different types of damage. For instance, I don't see how armor can be as vulnerable to Gatling guns as it is, and I don't think that this can be fixed with increasing its hp pool. I realize that this is a stretch, though.

16. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I don’t know...I really like the spiders and wolves, so I’d like to see them stay.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

Meh, they're alright as placeholders. I hope they develop them more than they were. I mean, they do have an AI division...

Ambient wildlife threats are definitely fun. But wolves that bounce of fences? How about dinosaurs that can step over them and crush small grids, deer you can hunt for food, birds that can poop on your cockpit windshield (or visor), component eating bacteria (aka the Andromeda Strain), Spiders that have man-sized web traps... (turns the light on and looks around nervously)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

How about bird strikes in atmospheric thrusters? Now that would be exciting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. macgeifer Apprentice Engineer

i would like to see some more real engineering mechanics and blocks. for example:

-heat management for reactors with watercooling or something. no cooling ->explosion when not shut down in time
    -two-component-rocket fuel with fuel pumps addiational to just tanks and thrusters
    -diesel fuel and engines for wheeled vehicles, can also be combinded with a generator to procude electricity
    -biological 3D-printer as addon for medical bay working as respawn mechanic (needs organic material and power)

-programmable blocks are now experimental due to performance problems. i would like see a basic progamming block with some logic operations with can be combined with grid blocks. AND, OR, NOR, XOR + some basic math. you can still do some stuff you cant with timers only but it cant get that complicated to ruin performance.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Sich Trainee Engineer

Yes, we need something simple like that to manage inventory, drone (if cargo full unlock connector start auto pilot, if other cargo is full shutdown sorter, ...).
    Most of my program are just for thing like this...
    Or maybe some data disk that you can insert in your PB, and only "authorized scripts" on those disk can be used with the PB.

21. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

OK, multiplayer update is out. When you're done complaining, remember THIS is the next thing they're going to do to us.

;)

22. zachusaman Trainee Engineer

I think that something we can reasonably expect is the return of pressurization. I feel like it was moved back to the experimental side of things due to performance issues (which take a lot of time to optimize) and now that this next update is focused on survival, its likely it will get a priority in returning.

Seriously though, support the return of pressurization.
    https://support.keenswh.com/spaceengineers/general/topic/save-the-pressurization-feature

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Malware Master Engineer

@zachusaman I hope you're right, I won't be as optimistic until I hear some kind of evidence... But, thank you for your support. One Of Us!

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. zachusaman Trainee Engineer

I feel like I'm right, pressurization is such an important feature of space that not having it is insane. It would be like making a game about ships and not having leaking be part of the game. You know a lot more about optimization though so it might come down to not being able to due it because of number crunching.

25. Malware Master Engineer

@zachusaman I genuinely believe it only comes down to convincing them that it's an important feature, because I think they don't believe that so they're not willing to put the time and cash into it. With "they" I mean the people in charge. I do believe this is technically possible to do.

26. zachusaman Trainee Engineer

Hopefully they believe it's important, but between the support thread being the most popular by far (its at 249 now vs 73 being the next highest) and the thread here, I feel the importance is being stressed to them, we just have to keep up the pressure (dohohoho).

• Agree Agree x 3
  27. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Well, we're most likely to get the hydrogen generator. They think we should have one. Many of us are going, "Why would you want that?" It serves a purpose (a block that can turn all that abundant ice into power) but it's another, "we're making this block for gameplay reasons" like the gravity generator and the artificial mass block. As with the latter two, the engineering behind making a powerplant that can run off ice is a little on the what's-the-use side of things. The wind turbine would be a better starting power block, but we're not hearing anything about that block.

It's not so much as they don't feel it's important as it's that they don't agree that it's necessary for the game. They always fall back on, "It's a building and mining game." They keep forgetting about the "space" part. On the one hand they would have you believe your character is some sort of clone or android and it's just there so you can build, then on the other hand they give us gravity and oxygen which are two things an artificial being could ignore. I believe the vast majority of players believe the character is them. they want it to look like them, and we want our builds to be able to keep them (us) alive in space, and we don't want to have to wear a full EVA suit when we're inside. I don't know what that means as far as how the game plays, but it would sure make the experience more compelling. If I just wanted a building game, there's Minecraft.

28. Bullet_Force Apprentice Engineer

I would like the devs to take the PVP side of this game more seriously, it has been entirely neglected in favor of PVE.

It's been 4 years since SE first came out and there is still only 2 weapons - Gatlings and Rockets. That is pathetic and yet in that same time span they have managed to add many pointless cosmetic blocks as well as fiddle with the glass. The game also really needs a Radar block ASAP. PVP can't happen if you can never find anyone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Malware Master Engineer

@Bullet_Force Are you trying to tell me that there's PVE content in this game? Where? :p

There isn't any more PVE gameplay than there is PVP gameplay.

30. bubbles563 Trainee Engineer

i would like to build a rover without it exploding with no warning

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.