Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What are you using sensors for?

Discussion in 'Survival' started by Memphis, Sep 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Memphis Apprentice Engineer

I've put up a proximity alert system on my station and a trigger for my collector to pull in rocks when they appear before it, but I was wondering what sorts of other things people are using sensors for. Looking for some cool new features to add to my station.

2. NathanTheSpaceSurvivor Apprentice Engineer

I use them to remind myself that my solarpanels are exposed to meteors. I have them on a piston, when extended they get sunlight, when retracted go behind 1 layer of heavy armor (Meteor protection, bullets are expensive, not even gonna think about using missile turrets as meteor defense), planning to add more armor
    The sensor is set to large ships only, and when it detects the solarpanels it activates a flashing light at the main base.

3. Spacedweller Trainee Engineer

Using them in my grinder/welders ship, 99% of my deaths are work environment related. These new sensor will dramatically increase work safety. By allowing automatic turn on/off tools.

4. Athalan Trainee Engineer

I'm using the dark starry night mod (complete darkness except the stars, no sun) in survival. Asteroids are very hard to find in the dark. I was thinking I might try using sensors to detect when I'm near one. Anybody know if that would work? Can sensors pick up asteroids? I just haven't tried it yet. If floating objects setting picks up asteroids it could also be used as a colision alert.

5. Spacedweller Trainee Engineer

Sensor range is too small to be effective, only 50m.

6. TehRoach Apprentice Engineer

lol
    I have this exact same problem, nearly all my deaths are related to getting too close to welders :p

7. draslin Trainee Engineer

Automatic doors.

Both large blast doors and the smaller door blocks to create an affect similar to Star Trek.

8. Alfalfa Apprentice Engineer

Place a rotor.

Place a rotor on the first perpendicular to the first.

Attach a block to that rotor.

Place sensors on each side of the block save the front.

Set all bounds except 'back' to 50.

Set up actions increase/decrease velocity of first/second rotor upon enter, reset velocity on exit.

You now have a block that will automatically track the player.

Attach a camera/weapon/tool.

You now have an auto-tracking camera/weapon/tool.

For bonus points use the 'attach small stator to big rotor' trick to achieve miniaturization!

9. MegaMiner Junior Engineer

THIS..... Wonderful idea, I shall immediately implement it on my ships.

Sensors do not currently detect asteroids, I tried earlier to implement a thruster based replacement for 150 landing gears on my drill ship to no avail. If they could they would also be used for automatic drilling machines.

10. Tumskunde Trainee Engineer

<em style="line-height: 20.7999992370605px; background-color: #f7f7f7;">User Tumskunde Login Accepted</em>

I've used them as a recovery/sweeping tool in my wrecking yard and my lab, with a suite of sensors set to trigger a gravitic vacuum, that pulls in any loose parts before they fly off. Very helpful when I end up having a snag somewhere and something Fun happen.

<em style="line-height: 20.7999992370605px; background-color: #f7f7f7;">User Tumskunde Signing Off</em>

11. AncientP. Apprentice Engineer

They are a great for various and usefull tasks automation like automated door and many more.

12. SirTragain Apprentice Engineer

Great idea!

13. SirTragain Apprentice Engineer

Dito

14. Jikanta Apprentice Engineer

Collision warning system: If you happen to be looking the wrong direction. Use sensors combined with lights to shine the direction of possible collision. Hopefully you will see it.

Landing Buffer: Provided you are landing on a blast shield platform (Recommended), your ships sensors will power up your extra thrusters to cushion your high velocity landing.

Ramming Burners: Now you have automatic help with blasting thrusters into your targets hull at full burn.

+Edit: Object Distance Detection: Minimum of 2 sensors to turn on lights confirming your distance within 50 meters. I use 3. Green for 10m. Yellow for 5m. Red for 1m.
    I'm able to quickly dock using this system. Also doubles as Collision Warning.

15. delabu Apprentice Engineer

I use them to crash the server I play on when I'm angry at my admin. :D (jk)

Seriously, though, I set up sensors to turn thrusters back on. Works like this : I set a ship adrift by switching off all the thrusters, or setting the cockpit to not control the thrusters after reaching cruise speed. With all the lag in MP, it can be really hard to take control of a floating ship, so I set up the sensor to activate the thrusters/cockpit when near again.

This way, when I get disconnected/crash, I just log in again. When I spawn at the medbay, the sensor activates the thrusters, and the dampers will start stopping the ship. So there is no crazy chasing after a rubberbanding ship trying to wrestle back control.

Of course, the current sensor crashes the server makes this a not viable solution :(

16. MegaMiner Junior Engineer

Automatic grinder control, turns the grinders on and off when I push a ship in. Same thing with welders. Helps save some power, but mostly its for noise control and it does help the framerate.

17. kittle Senior Engineer

I have a rotor arm with drills on the end to mine asteroids with. The drill arm takes 1 swipe of the asteroid and then needs to return to its starting point so i can extend it for the next swipe.

I setup 2 sensors to shut off the drills and reverse the rotor when the arm gets far enough around.

so I extend the arm, turn on the drills+rotor and go do something else for a few mins. Come back, the mining is done, and ready to extend again.

Automated mining FTW

18. RTM Apprentice Engineer

Ship-eating robots.

It's not easy though.

19. kristakis Junior Engineer

The doorway to my drone storage area has welders and a small ship sensor - when drones leave or return they get repaired. Before I leave for the night I enable "repairing" players incase people come into my base.

20. Agnar Apprentice Engineer

Really high-tech light switches.
    Its a bit like using a computer to do simple math, but you know.

21. Triffid_Hunter Apprentice Engineer

You may be interested in my autominer which senses "floating objects" and stops mining when it can't see any; idea being that it'll sense the rocks of ore that it itself drills, and stops when it pops out the far side of the 'roid.

This! A thousand times yes! My above autominer will stop if it senses an astronaut in the work zone, and I have my welding/grinding ships set up with the same safety cutoff.

22. breakthrough Trainee Engineer

I put a sensor near the connector on my small ships so they automatically shut off their antennas when docked to minimize hud clutter.

23. Mad Mike Apprentice Engineer

You guys do realise, the new sensor settings for ore, allow all sorts of auto mining possibilities.
    Like turning on dampeners and switching on a beacon once your remote miner breaks through to the other side.
    Not to mention mining drones that only seek what you need...

24. C3ntron Trainee Engineer

I use the sensors indeed exactly for,that. Not so much for one specific ore, but just to tunnel through asteroids and to prevent the miner disappearing in the void after coming out the other end. But i also use them at the back of the same miners to turn of the back thrusters when I approach them with my miner collector ship. Because when docking, it could potentially trigger the inertial dampeners damaging it in the process. And don't forget the timers in combination with those lovely sensors :)

And... Gravity control in specific rooms and lights of course. Doesn't save much but... ;-)

25. Lullipop Trainee Engineer

Hello,

did I miss something? How can I make sensors being able to detect ore? My sensors only detect players, floating things, large ships, small ships and stations.

Greetings

26. Mad Mike Apprentice Engineer

Pause this at 30 seconds in....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNSvVBc8dDA&amp;list=UUiIu5_NeaCkv3Nt8R5u7pNg

27. Koku Ryu Trainee Engineer

That's a good idea and also a great way to save power. Power down everything on your ship except for the medbay and the sensors. when you spawn in the medbay, the ship comes to life

28. Lullipop Trainee Engineer

Sorry dude,

I still don't get it. The example in the video shows spawning ores by activating a sensor. It does not not show how a sensor can detect ore.

Greetings

29. Mad Mike Apprentice Engineer

Sorry I must have misunderstood. Thought he was spawning the ore to test them...? derp

30. Triffid_Hunter Apprentice Engineer

No, he's showing off a simple mod that causes it to spawn an ore matching the first word in the sensor name when it triggers

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.