Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What DLC would you be happy to pay for?

Discussion in 'General' started by SirConnery, Apr 20, 2019.

1. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

I'm happy to support the game by buying DLC, what kind of DLC would you have no hard feelings on paying for?

Obviously we don't want new functional blocks behind a paywall unless it's part of a huge expansion pack to the game.

Things I would pay for up to 5 bucks.

- Armor textures
    - More armor block sizes, at least up to x10, maybe even up to x20. Would save quite some time in Survival too.
    - Alternate Engine and other sound effects
    - Animated variations of already existing things like Refinery, Assembler, Thrusters, Spotlights etc.
    - Alternate Glass tints/opacity/whatever (any glass mods work very poorly and break constantly)

2. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Although it's not a popular thing to say, I'd be happy to pay for anything that improves the quality of the game. KSH programmers have to eat, too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

By the time a DLC has been released, there is nothing to stop a company from laying off the entire staff. The money goes to the ownership. They decide whether staff eat or not. It's a purchase, not a gratuity.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  4. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

That's true for many companies. But I'm speaking of keeping the franchise going and growing. Most owners would be seeking greater profits, and that takes a creative staff. While it's true there are some take-the-money-and-run companies out there, I dare say that interest in their product would quickly die out.

But, then again, I probably have no idea what I'm talking about...

5. DANIEL YEAGER Trainee Engineer

Forget DLC. DLC is for developers that believe that their game has reached close to max market saturation and the only way to keep it going is to devour their current clients. This type of action almost always loses players thus making their belief that their game has reached close to max market saturation come true!
    It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Keen needs to draw more players to the game and while I am no financial adviser I think an awesome way to do that is have a monthly competition for modders to make new content the winner gets their stuff officially added to the game and some sorta kickback(not financial).

This will keep fresh content flowing which keeps current players interested and this by nature of proxy will bring new players as well.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

There are just so many things wrong with this statement. Just look at Rocket League, released 2015. Just keeps releasing small DLC without making real changes to the base game, makes tons of cash from new buyers + DLC. I think if you reflect even for 5 minutes on your statement you will realize it makes no sense. Especially financially.

7. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

I would say the desire to continue making money would stop them. If no one bought the DLC, that would be a sign that it was time to lay off the staff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

Except, for the fact that the decision gets made weeks before the DLC is even published. More likely, people were commissioned for that particular project and good DLC sales increases the odds future work gets commissioned. Framing it as supporting the franchise is sensible. This idea that purchasing DLC is directly putting food in peoples mouths like it's charity is BS rhetoric.

How many times have you purchased food at the grocery store and told the clerk "you're welcome, for putting your kids through college"?

9. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Who says it's charity? Your reasoning is really odd I must say. Let's simplify this.
    DLC gets made by company > People like and buy DLC > company gets money and is therefore "supported". Easy.

10. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

It's only odd if you can't comprehend the written word, or remember previous posts.

11. Calaban Junior Engineer

I would pay a patreon monthly subscription for:

A patreon-only official multiplayer server, with better funded hardware and active admins

With world settings:
    Planets off
    Scripts on
    Npc on
    Encounters On
    Drones On

It would be a Co-operative (with color based factions competing for resources) "PVE" multiplayer server, with logoff "save zones"

If pushing the limits a bit- then also voxel deformation Off (have to PVE raid for mats), and safe zone markets to trade ingots for uranium and ice and bullets.

12. Malware Master Engineer

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Sigh. I'm really starting to doubt this forum having higher median age than others. I get these childish one liner ad-hominems as replies here more often than anywhere else.

14. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

Hey maybe the problem is with the person getting all the 'ad-hominems' (read: valid critique of recipients inability to comprehend the argument). Naaaahhhh.

15. Malware Master Engineer

@SirConnery Unfortunately true. The problem is, DLCs are a hot topic and not in a good way.

16. Dan2D3D Moderator

Hi Guys!

I got report for this discussion so I will post the most important forum rule before giving warning points.

I also noticed that some are Off Topic so add your DLC choice and move on, please.

Keen forum rule # 8

8 -
    Respect each others opinion. Don’t try and force your own opinion onto someone or deride what other members believe about the game.​

+

Just ignore the opinions you don't like because all can share their opinion over here.

__

Btw

I could use a smaller Hydro tank to create small and cool new cars using the new Hydro engine :tu:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

You wrote that just to needle me, didn't you. I should report you.

Space Engineers: The Game That Allows You to Build Twelve Ton Cars - No, Seriously They Made an Engine Block Just So You Can Build A Cool Looking Car - No Space Stuff Here - Move Along

Cars

18. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

[QUOTE="Stardriver907, post: 1287107973, member: 3339215"

Cars[/QUOTE]

I feel safest of all.

19. Spets Master Engineer

I'm 100% confident that Planets DLC will be a mega boost on sales. I mean, new planets with something on it. And for the people that don't get the DLC, well... go cry somewhere else :p But, maybe also a free update for the current vanilla planets + more prefab asteroids set. I donno, adding random structures, maybe some caves, a few new types of creatures, more unknown signals and new skins

20. Calaban Junior Engineer

The point of the patreon server with no planets is that its NPC based as its primary resource. And there are no npcs on planets. And if you cannot deform the voxels to mine anyway then.. what would the point of a planet be?!

21. odizzido Junior Engineer

None currently. I am going to wait and see what happens.

22. Timuroslav Apprentice Engineer

-All the old sky-boxes. The blue one, I miss that one quite a bit. In theory space would have more color because there is no atmosphere to obscure the color.

-more interior block designs. Same statistical value just aesthetic wise.
    -Different Sun color options.
    I want to Red Dwarf sun option
    -Gas Giants
    -variety in Planet gravity
    -Plantable trees.
    -Randomized trees in planters
    -Space fish tank with Space crawdad and friends
    complete with space crabs
    -Racer Cockpit design. more of an open canopy look, bigger, but more vulnerable.
    -Rotating skybox Illusion, when on planets
    -wider more realistic gravity wells.
    -Module ship ballistic parts. (no prefabricated barrels.
    (If I see long barrels on another large space ship I'm gonna scream "unrealistic" :woot: )
    -Atmospheric Thrusters using kerosene refined from gravel.

and Zomg

-HINGE BLOCK

23. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!

• Funny Funny x 4
  24. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

I'm sorry. My cycloptic collegue informs me that can't be done.

25. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Sadly, from what i understand, laying off people when a major project is "done" (whether the players agree or not) is a fairly common procedure in game development and a lot of programmers, designers and modellers (or to be short: anyone who doesn't actually call the shots) move around a lot to follow their jobs. I don't have detailed information about what's going on at Keen (nor do i want to spread misinformation or rumours that i don't know are true or not) but i would not be surprised if downsizing has occured, DLC or not. Hell, they had a rough enough time hanging on to their art department BEFORE SE got out of Early Access. Having said that, personally i DO hope the DLC is a success (and by all accounts it is) and that the next one will be a little more polished.

As for the question in the thread title: almost everything as long as the price stays at the current level and as long as it's not Armor Blocks. (I would also have thrown a definitive shit if they had made the Female Engineer a paid DLC but that one's done and dusted for months now.) While i see why PVPers have a problem with Pay2Win i don't agree that we can't have a paid Weapons Pack; the implementation is key on that one and frankly i don't think we're gonna get any serious support without paying for it, so i'd rather pay for more block for a game i got almost 4500 hours of play time out of because the next time the bug bites me i WILL make heavy use of the decorative blocks. However, i draw the line at the most basic of armor shapes. They're absolutely integral to ship shapes and sizes and i'm already not satisfied with the selection in the vanilla version.

• Agree Agree x 4
  26. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

This is true of software development in general, from what I've seen. In general, consumers have very, very little influence on employment conditions, and little influence even on marketing decisions.

27. Spets Master Engineer

We are supposedly engineers, why not a decorative pack for a working area, hangar, garage? like workbench, tools and components shelves, and random machinery

Couldn't find better image but here is an example maybe
    you can see some toolboxes, some diagnostic machines or something, a workbench table, maybe some oxygen and hydrogen tanks but decorative only, etc
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  28. Morloc Apprentice Engineer

I still carry the torch for the game having new antagonists to provide survival menace...particularly aggressive fauna to make planets (and perhaps the rare asteroid) interesting. A class of weapons/defenses to deal with these baddies would be needed of course. Not something that shows up on a timer as much as something you can piss off with exploration and mining.

Rare events might add some zing...
    Solar storm...power failures.
    Magnetic storm...unreliable instruments.
    Swarm...large number of indigenous lifeforms attack with some warning.
    (etc.)

P.S. Energy weapons and shields of course too! (We're talking about DLC here, so that's 100% legal! :p)

-Morloc

29. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

I actually believe there's a HUGE opportunity here in regards to the Weapons Pack DLC. As in: they could develop the mechanics for it first and then just apply them to two different packs with identically functioning, but differently looking block variants: an SE-style low tech Pack for everyone and a Soft Sci Fi DLC for the DLC shop. If they then let everyone use the DLC-blocks (on servers) they get a purely visual alternative. Yes, it would be a bit silly to have weak lasers or super overpowered extra Armor but that'd be a nice way out and a way to harvest cookie points. Also i want my phaser bank, damnit.

30. Morloc Apprentice Engineer

...don't you mean phaser array?

-Morloc

• Funny Funny x 1