Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What DLC would you be happy to pay for?

Discussion in 'General' started by SirConnery, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

I don't bodyshame phasers and neither should you.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

If this little DLC caused such a fuss imagine the flames if there was a weapon DLC. I am not against anything being DLC content. (yes even armor blocks I am fine with, we have managed 5+ years with the current armor blocks. :) They want to give us new armor blocks for 4.00 no biggie.)

Love em or hate em, the entire staff of Keen have to pay their bills, so I do not mind a few dollars here or there. Now if it becomes a monthly thing then maybe I will change my mind. (4.00 x 12 = 48.00) So yeah hopefully not a monthly thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thrak Junior Engineer

Arrays are quite Next Gen, but banks are Classic Trek... and classic engineering.

Kirk: "... if only we had some phasers...."

Scotty: "Phasers? You got 'em. I've got one bank recharged."

Kirk: "Scotty! You just earned your pay for the week!"

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  4. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

He's worse than dead, Jim. His brain is gone!

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Monkworks Trainee Engineer

i would support any additional content. Cosmetic or material . I truly believe i have underpaid for this game. i think it was 20 bucks 4-5 years ago and i have 700 hours
    0.023 an hour...
    the key here is the survival content. give me more...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Morloc Apprentice Engineer

"Doomsday Machine". The very best episode of all Star Treks (honorable mention for Enterprise "In a Mirror, Darkly").

I once had a goal to construct the planet killer in SE...but damn, I only use Survival, so it'd be a bitch.

-Morloc

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cetric Junior Engineer

I could name quite a few mods which deserve becoming vanilla, by dlc, just for making sure they don't vanish again in the future when modder gives up.
    --
    But I will name something else I would like to see as DLC:
    Both a friendly NPC and a hostile NPC system.

Friendly NPC is about crew members you assign to stations or they just keep wandering around in the ship, for flavor and 'liveliness'. Maybe with custom uniforms you could chose and customize. Ah yes - not everyone in full space suits, but indoors in pressurized rooms. Your responsibility: make sure rooms will not get depressurized or all NPC disappear (your idiocy killed them). Friendly NPC later could evolve in storylines or events when you can do interaction with them. Like talking and choice of some answer. A sandbox tool for that would later enable a number of new mods where people develop stories for this system.

It's something people could hardly whine about.

Hostile NPC is what some mods provide now. Maybe an identity to factions by interaction with them via communications, video transmissions. Negotiations. Truce. Tribute-paying ...

8. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

NPC crew members would be fantastic. But I would make them controlled via client-side (logic tree, pathing, etc.). But the AI behind them might have some issues navigating complex environments. But if it was possible, a team of robots capable of slowly building incomplete blocks/repairing them, light mining duties, etc. I'd make them robots/androids so the oxygen problem isn't an issue. The scope of their usefulness might be pretty minor... but as a DLC toy... they might be fun.

9. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Are some of these "friendly" NPCs really friendly, if you know what I mean?

10. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

In addition to the maintenance area DLC content (detail blocks), I would like to see some cool Medical area blocks. Even though sitting in a passenger seat seems to be the best medical treatment SE can provide, we could at least create the illusion that our heavy mining and battle carriers have the kind of medical facilities capable of treating multiple serious injuries likely to occur during mining or battle.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

I've played enough Dead Space to know where this suggestion is going.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Perhaps there would be some sort of, um... slider?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Timuroslav Apprentice Engineer

I forgot to mention more interior block and catwalk alternatives.
    --- Automerge ---
    Exploding babies with tentacles?

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

People like games like Factorio and that new one that's Factorio only closer because the blocks are animated. I think DLC blocks, whatever they are, should always feature some sort of animation.
    Just to seal the deal, so to speak.

15. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

From what I saw, animations on the wind turbine caused server slowing due to spam. Turrets cause slowing due to their animations as well. Be careful what you wish for.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Malware Master Engineer

@Ronin1973 Animations shouldn't be running on the server so shouldn't affect them... :stare:

17. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

From what I've experienced on servers mods to turn off turret animation as well as turbine animation have helped with server slowdowns over the last two months. Worth investigating.

18. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Well, animated blocks are not new. Keen has more animated blocks than anyone. Remember when drills were the server-killers? I don't believe it was because of the animation. I believe the turret issue is beause when the animation runs the turret is actively seeking targets, and it's not the movement that chugs the server.

19. Kattla Trainee Engineer

I don't think i'll be "happy" to pay for any DLC. I did pay up for the current DLC though mostly to help support Keen.
    TBH, at this point in time, perhaps it is time for another game, like steam engineers.
    But to be constructive to the thread, perhaps tiered thrusters , or rare exploration content. And yes, i know i can find those
    in the workshop.

20. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

It's ok. Much from the Workshop has been presented here. Point being that if Keen made the blocks they would always work despite any future updates.

I bought the DLC and I can't say I was thrilled about it, but I can say that I happily paid the four dollars. I guess it just depends on how you look at it.

21. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

It supports further vanilla development. That's how I looked at it. Perhaps we'll get volumetric water or something.

22. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

You must be asleep 'cause you're dreaming!

23. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

I think of it as supporting the only development company likely to produce an adequate successor to SE version 1.

24. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Someone already modded in volumetric water into ME. The implementation was crude but workable.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

{In my best whiny voice...} But they said...

26. Malware Master Engineer

Really? All I've seen is the water sphere one? Would have thought something like that would have been talked about more...

At any rate, creating volumetric water was never the problem. Making it run fast enough to be realistically usable on SE scale is a whole other thing.

27. captainbladej52 Apprentice Engineer

Personally I would pay for anything that gave more customization options, be it purely cosmetic skins, or actual physical blocks, provided it had great value for a great price. As far as to what that value and price are would vary depending on what's in the pack. For me I thought the DLC we have now was a perfect price for the items we got. Plus with the changes made so anyone can interact with DLC blocks/items, but only owners can build them, there's one less major headache taken care of for folks. Keen has to keep the lights on somehow and as long as i feel I get a decent value for my cash I'll buy it.

Far as some specific items I wouldn't mind seeing there's a few. Wouldn't mind seeing some additional skins for certain blocks such as reactors being just one hypothetical or even jump drives. Turret skins are another good one.

Weapons pack: something that would give us more than just the standard gatlings and missiles we have now. Doesn't have to be purely ship weapons either. Additional personal weapons like personal rockets or grenades of some type. Far as to exact specifics of everything could be debated, but plenty of potential with this one.

Shields and Energy Weapons: Would love to see a DLC shield generator for folks like myself that love a more sci-fi themed type of build. Maybe an energy weapon or 2 to go along with the shield.

Additional planet types: the one's we have now are nice, but having additional planets to explore and do stuff with would be cool. I would still love to see a Nebula of some type make into game even though it may not be the most feasible option, but that's a different can of worms.

Long as it's well done and the value is there I'll buy it to support the game as I've gotten more than my initial investment back in entertainment.

28. bigbangnet Apprentice Engineer

as long as it doesn't feel like it should be part of the game like content or gameplay content I'm OK with it. the first DLC they release I was ok with it. Doesn't feel like it should be part of the game and its totally cosmetic with some functionality with it. If they continue this route I will gladly support them. If they start pumping out armored mods, weapons and similar content stuff as in DLC then NO, its a total NO for me in this case as this should be part of the game. Besides, modders could make something similar so its a total waste of time in my opinion.

29. Cetric Junior Engineer

Workshop is already virtually overflowing with weapons. No shortage of destructive stuff. You can cramp up your g-menu with guns, lasers, torpedoes, rocket launchers etc alone.
    --
    Related to DLC, I understand by their first rendition KEEN does thoroughly evaluate what is acceptable as DLC and what has to be packed into the free upgrade, and act accordingly, with a parallel release. And even adjust afterwards when a surprising resistence in the playerbase is felt like this time with the 'copy-ownership-usability' issue in multiplayer.

30. Allammo Apprentice Engineer

I'll be honest, I'd pay for more wheels and mechanical parts. I like to play around with everything that moves :-D. When I say wheels I mean suspension wheels and wheel block itself - current wheel block kinda suck, it's strictly decorative block, I'd like to see round shape and some fiction in it. I know that kind of blocks require lot of effort, even moders avoid developing them, so I'd be happy to pay for that kind of blocks ;-).

Edit. Belive me or not since almost beginning I've spent over 10k hours playing with wheels and rotors, and pistons, even when they ware not as reliable as they are now. So couple bucks for another 10k hours of fun is a real bargain.

Last edited: May 3, 2019