Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What do you do as you weld or salvage?

Discussion in 'Survival' started by SyberSmoke, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. SyberSmoke Apprentice Engineer

So sitting at my computer disassembling and then reassembling solar cells...I got rather bored of constantly waiting while I welded them together or ground them down. So...after a couple of them I took a handy pair of needle nose pliers I have on my desk and placed them on my mouse...Hey look...auto welding/grinding.

How do you all deal with the monotony of building larger components that take minutes of time just to build? And do you think there needs to be some change be it better tools...less time...some kind of assistance like the use of drones or other machine?

After all if the point is to build things that are impressive while mining the goods to do so...should it really take hours just to get to the basics?

2. xwhitemousex Apprentice Engineer

Already multiple threads about this.

People have suggested upgradable tools which needs to be fuelled, or that wears down like consumables, as well as ship mounted welders and welding drones.

Use the search function for forum and you can find tons of threads.

3. SyberSmoke Apprentice Engineer

What part...asking about what you do as you let your computer do it. Or the tools...since you did not exactly answer the first question. After all the post is not about my suggestions...I put those in the suggestions forum. It is about what you do when you leave your desk with a weight on your mouse. ;-)

4. BlackScythe Apprentice Engineer

In the AmA Marek said that they are thinking about an "3d Printer" for building ships, you just have to put the ressources into it and load a blueprint

5. SyberSmoke Apprentice Engineer

While it would be good to have what is essentially a shipyard. It would not help with a] transferring one item you are looking to scavenge to some place that scavenged item will go (Solar Panel example) and b] my placing a pair of needle nose pliers on the mouse to do it.

And has no one read the first question? :) Wowsers

6. SovietKoshk Trainee Engineer

I listen to a podcast or two, and just space out. Haaa, Small ship welding/grinding tools would be so nice.

7. Aurenian Apprentice Engineer

I listen to music while I work. And I work on a couple of different things at once so I don't spend too long just welding/grinding.

8. pipakin Apprentice Engineer

Shift-Tab (keeps welding/grinding) + web browse. No need for the pliers :)

9. Ash87 Senior Engineer

I do both, depending on what needs to be done. Salvage work provides raw materials, which we then use to make what we need. I am kind of looking forward to conveyors so I can set up a bin to chop ships up into and not have to collect the refuse.

10. TheGrover Trainee Engineer

Surely you cant just tab out because you need to move to the next block after a short while... the difficult part for me is retaining interest while welding large sections, even with music on.

The 3d printer will certainly be nice, but possibly difficult to construct large ships since constructing a massive printer will probably be a huge task :p

11. Eigenwijs Trainee Engineer

when welding pressing shift+tab and browsing on the steam browser without tabbing out
    that mostly does the trick for me with long welds/grinds

12. Em3rgency Trainee Engineer

Put on a good audio book and space out.

13. Scorpion00021 Senior Engineer

I spend quality time with my girlfriend

14. Em3rgency Trainee Engineer

The question was "What do you do WHILE you weld/salvage", and your answer is quality time with your gf? Thats... some bad quality right there.

15. JamesL86 Senior Engineer

One thing that many years of living a solitary life has brought me is the ability to just go somewhere else in my mind. What I often do, which may be unique to myself, is focus on the welding. Not the actual act itself but the sounds and the light. After a few blocks I seem to float into my own thoughts and I spend the time visualizing the next part of the current build. Sometimes its even an entirely different build that I am planning while I work. Before I know it, I have an entire creation welded and ready to go.

On more hectic designs or when I am building in MP I often limit myself to plopping down only three to four blocks at a time and welding as I go. This allows me to focus on the conversations with other players more easily.

16. Dequire Apprentice Engineer

I tend to turn on a music video/show on my second monitor and watch it while doing.. well, just about anything in SE.

17. Scorpion00021 Senior Engineer

Nope, I combine the two:p

Welding takes a lot of time and so do girlfriends. She likes watching movies and laying on the sofa with me, so I put the laptop on the arm of the sofa and put on a nice romantic comedy for her.

18. nilloc93 Trainee Engineer

I'm listening to the "vaults of terra" warhammer 40K lore vids on youtube.

19. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

This is a better solution IMO than a 3D ship printing block (which seems very unrealistic).

20. Stonewolf Junior Engineer

I used a plastic washer (I had laying around from putting something together) to wedge next to CTRL to keep it pressed. I kinda broke it tho, have a bad habit of chewing things while I concentrate on something. Yes those teeth marks on the pens you see, It was probably me :rolleyes:

I don't have a girlfriend to tend to while I weld, somehow I doubt my wife would approve :p

3D printers are reality, they are even planing on printing human spare parts (mite be already doing that)

I know what you mean JamesL86, most of my builds were designed in my head, while doing something else.

I think Ill find a metal washer to fill the auto welder/grinder job :cool:

21. Beezilbub Apprentice Engineer

I listen to music or audio books.

22. Grim Apprentice Engineer

I like to cut/weld along the edges to pretend that I am actually severing/welding it.

23. ArenDaystar Apprentice Engineer

I load the dishwasher, clean the kitchen, wipe off the counters, sweep the floor, listen to music, and once I finish all that, my solar panel is about half done. :p

24. THE_VB Junior Engineer

1.turn on some good rock/metal music.
    2.or daft punk from interstella 5555
    3.or "YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND BABY, RIGHT ROUND" while you dont stop pushing Q or E.

By the way instead of tools it could be more realistic to fly to some hotspots of the block and weld/cut near it to do it much faster.

25. Spets Master Engineer

I alternate between Left Ctrol and Left Mouse button pressing because my finger tired

I also watch directly to the light of the welder and get blind because Im a stupid retard, then I come here and complain about it and ask devs to add some protection glasses

26. ArenDaystar Apprentice Engineer

Woah, this dude is a loving genius! I had never thought of doing that! :D

27. Ash87 Senior Engineer

I just realized I read the OP Wrong.

I watch TV... dual monitors are good for that.

Typically it's Deep Space Nine reruns on Netflix, or Game of Thrones.

28. FatalPapercut Senior Engineer

Dear GOD somebody needs to build that one guy's guitar ship.

29. THE_VB Junior Engineer

After I finish my junkyard mining station in the condition of meteor showers I will try to make one :D

Instead of space vacuum cleaner I will fly around it with welder, and instead of singing you will hear the rithmic "Sh*t, f*ck, GOD NO, damn it, NONONO" etc etc.

30. Merinsan Apprentice Engineer

I sometimes sleep. Although generally that makes the welding/grinding go slower because often I release the mouse button.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.