Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What do you do as you weld or salvage?

Discussion in 'Survival' started by SyberSmoke, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Natguy389 Trainee Engineer

I put on some music and look on the wiki page to see what i can use the stuff I'm grinding for using my tablet. Facebook and other games are other ways to fill up the time

2. Voqar Trainee Engineer

At first it's somewhat novel but very quickly I start to think about how the game could've been named welding simulator instead of space engineers.

I'm a fairly new player and we (brother and I) have been playing the game to death for a few days now but I think we're both getting tired of how long it takes to grind and/or weld (and build in general). Realism is find and dandy but at the end of the day it's a game and needs to be fun. I think we value what we do in the game partially because of the effort involved but I do look forward to seeing what gets added to the game to deal with this issue (along with being generally interested in everything they add).

3. ArenDaystar Apprentice Engineer

I completely agree. We need the current welding/grinding speed to be adjustable up to 10x, much like inventory size and refinery speed. As of now playing Welding Simulator is only viable for the masochists.

4. Meri Trainee Engineer

I like building fairly fast and without bigger slowdowns, I also like having to mine for my own materials and provide fuel for my creations. That's why I play on x10 and manually edit xml files within the game to speed up building. I do think it should be possible to change the speed from within the game - I bet not everyone enjoys watching solar panel for 140 seconds and not being able to do anything.. (seriously it is a mind killer)

Thinking of it, you shouldnt be forced to keep mouse pressed all the time, one button press and then keeping the distance should be enough to build - i could at least alt-tab quickly and see through news and stuff while buildings.

5. ArenDaystar Apprentice Engineer

GREAT ONE! PLEASE, SHARE THINE WISDOM!!!

6. Meri Trainee Engineer

http://forums.keenswh.com/post/tutorial-speeding-up-weld-time-6849208?pid=1282347952#post1282347952

:)

7. Merinsan Apprentice Engineer

I now have a (moral?) dilemma. Do I speed up welding/grinding, or do I keep it as intended by devs....
    I spent a solid maybe 8hrs recently grinding down a military mine layer (those heavy armor blocks are a killer). I dare not tackle the have blown up military transporter at the moment....

I am torn....

8. DocMop Junior Engineer

I tried a mod with 50% weld- and grind-time. Feels way more balanced if you ask me. It's now more about the actual construction and less about "placing something on my CTRL key and cleaning my house or working the kitchen in the meantime".

9. protectorcrimson Trainee Engineer

If you shift tab while welding in SE the welding will continue until a limit is met. Also you have to stay in game. I typically have music, or a video play off youtube during this.

10. Ash87 Senior Engineer

As a representative of Masochists everywhere, as long as it's a x1, x3, x10 option and not just an across the board decrease in welding times... I like this idea.

Now if you will excuse me, I have rivets to pound in, with my forehead.

11. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

I did two things to help with the boredom.
    altered: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\SpaceEngineers\Content\Data\CubeBlocks.sbc

by altering the variable build time for a block, you can change the ammount of time it takes to build a block(in seconds) for example i changed solar panels from 140 seconds to 45 seconds. still takes a bit but not ungodly long.

also I use AHK to hold down the mouse button for me

http://www.autohotkey.com/

Simple script for continuous fire (holding down the mouse button)
    just change f9 to whatever key you would like.

toggle := 0
    f9::
    if toggle <> 1
    {
    toggle := 1
    click down
    } else {
    toggle := 0
    click up
    }
    return
    I also watch netflix and lurk the forums ;p

12. Andon Senior Engineer

I've done the shift-tab trick a few times. And then proceeded to take advantage of the steam web browser to come onto the forums here. Or imgur. Typically imgur, actually...

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.