Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What does the "PhysicsIterations" setting do?

Discussion in 'Groups & Dedicated Servers' started by Cobra, Jun 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Cobra Apprentice Engineer

As the title states, I noticed this new settings with no mention on what it actually does. Does anyone know what it does?

2. extraammo Senior Engineer

It's the amount of iterations the physics engine will use per update. Higher number means less performance but higher accuracy and stability.

3. Cobra Apprentice Engineer

So the lowest setting would be 1? Currently it is set at 4 (per default) and I would like to reduce it for higher performance. Does it scale linear? Does a setting of 3 give you a 25% boost compared to a setting of 4?

EDIT:
    Also how strong are the lower physics calculations actually noticable? Will it affect collisions?

4. extraammo Senior Engineer

I don't think it is used for collisions as much as for joints (motors, pistons, connectors, landing gear). The lowest is 1 however that could cause contraptions to become very unstable.

• Like Like x 1
  5. druppi Apprentice Engineer

Are you sure, in other forums they say lower number means highest accuracy ? Can Someone do a detailed explanation to this please !? THX

6. mos Apprentice Engineer

Someone told me it's the amount of iterations the physics constraints are run.

From experimentation, the higher the number, the more magnetic force merge blocks, connectors and rotors apply when docking or holding a rotor part.
    4 seems to be default, 10 really snaps things into place hard and 1 barely pulls two ships together when merging.

7. druppi Apprentice Engineer

yep that's what i noticed too ..... magnetic lock of docking ports are much weaker with lower count ..............so it has nothing to do with the accuracy of physics calculation in the game engine

THX

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.