Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What happened to Scenarios? Campaigns?(newbie)

Discussion in 'General' started by Weyun, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Weyun Trainee Engineer

As a newbie of 2~3 months play, I was wondering what happened to Scenarios/ Campaign makers?
    Was it cancelled?

2. AlfieUK4 Trainee Engineer

The tools are still there but I'm guessing that the lack of documentation at their introduction, the sheer amount of work that goes into making a decent-sized campaign (I believe Keen's official campaign took their 2 level designers more than 3 months to make), and the risk of updates breaking them after release, has detered most people from making them.

As far as I know all of the big ones on the workshop (Outpost 17 series, Escape from Mars, Super Engineer Adventures, Lost Wanderer) are made primarily through scripting in custom-modified world maps rather than the scenario builder/mission maker.

3. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

And some of those were already broken by updates (Escape from Mars at least).

I wonder if scenarios/missions will be a fly type of revenue stream?

4. Thraxus Trainee Engineer

Escape from Mars works fine, outside of a few wonky rotors here and there. Just finished playing it on the client from last week without any issues.

5. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

Good to know. When it said to play with ver 181 I assumed that meant it was broken after that ver.

6. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

It was broken for a bit after 181 because the wheels were completly non functional so everything in the scenario just scraped its belly around on the floor and went nowhere.

Keen has since fixed that though.

7. ViroMan Senior Engineer

escape from mars still gives massive warnings for me about lags due to too many items needing updates.
    and pistons/rotors with wrong settings.

8. Calaban Junior Engineer

As I've read it stated somewhere else: Keen is optimizing and bug killing the Beta version until they get to the official "Gold" version (where no more changes will be made to the engine/code), and then at THAT point (with an optimized and unchanging gold ver.) the scenarios and campaigns would be developed.

9. SF-1 Raptor Junior Engineer

I thinks it's more of a lack of player/none coder friendly options. Visually scripting may be good, but if you don't know coding already it's still a challenge. And with no in game tutorials for it, folks with bad/limited internet (like me) are just out of luck and can't use it. My opinion, so I could be wrong.

10. Stollie Apprentice Engineer

Ive probably spent about 200 hours making different scenarios using self made mods, modified versions of other peoples mods and using visual scripting to do some pretty cool sandboxes with scripted events to play aroind in but tbh its a LOT of work and I just lose interest after a while.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.