Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What happened to the landers + habbitable planet option?

Discussion in 'Survival' started by xeNNNNN, Oct 1, 2019.

1. xeNNNNN Trainee Engineer

So I wanted to do a clean slate start to build stuff and mess about and I had no option for this other than the Star system map which has no landers just drop pods......I have the respawn setting ON and its in survival....

I am a returning player so either i've forgotten something or something has changed.....?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Respawn pods are used on all planets and moons except for...you guessed it...the Moon; the Moon respawns with a respawn buggy. You can respawn in space with or without a starter ship. This is the new normal.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. xeNNNNN Trainee Engineer

Oh god....so ... how do I go about looking for resources on planets? do I just.....walk? lol

Edit: I am used to the whole fly around with my lander and find resources first then mark them then find a suitable landing location and start building....

4. Malware Master Engineer

@xeNNNNN You start out getting trace minerals from rock until you can build a vehicle.

Get a basic factory going asap. Even the basic refinery is better than the survival kit at processing stone.

5. xeNNNNN Trainee Engineer

Wow this is a lot different than what I am used to lol i'll give it ago

did they remove the landers because it was too easy?

6. Roxette Senior Engineer

It's all made more difficult and slower to start because the performance degrades as you progress, so a difficult start pushes that boundary further away. ;)

7. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

the default lander did make things a bit too easy.
    i mean i'd spawn with it then grind down the windows for silicon and metal grids for cobalt tier 2 tools.
    so many motors and so much nickle on those 2 large thrusters.
    it had about 4 batteries and a reactor. grind the reactor away reverse engineer the reactor components. now you've gotten silver tier tools. tier 3 tools right off the bat before you even step out if you don't instantly need a reactor or medical bay if you're feeling risky.

I quite like this small bare bones start. takes so much longer to get going though lol
    i remember doing stuff just like this by using tiny refineries and assemblers mods in the past.

8. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I agree. And use wind turbines for cheap and consistent power on planets, although hard to defend if you have nasties about (sometimes you need to build a battery so you can hunker down in a bolthole when nasties are about). It's all about the strategy. I usually get a small base set up using the limited capabilities of a survival kit on the respawn pod (which magically extracts iron, nickel, and silicon out of stone), first getting wind turbines set up (three, minimum, to run a basic refinery and assembler), then the basic refinery and assembler for parts, then on to advanced refineries and assemblers and more wind turbines to power it all. It sort of builds on itself. I usually, as soon as possible, build my favorite planet-to-space ship, Uranium Express mk2, and head for the stars with enough components to set up an offworld refinery station for processing uranium and platinum and anything else I want (asteroid deposits are significantly more concentrated on asteroids and, therefore, easier to mine), then carry back the ingots to the planet to continue building my empire. As soon as I'm back planetside, I build a reactor or three so my dependence on easily damaged wind turbines is eliminated.

Again, it's all about the strategy you chose to move yourself forward, and that strategy must take into account whether hostile forces are present.

9. xeNNNNN Trainee Engineer

Hey! thanks for the advice. I couldn't really get a ship started the requirement of cobalt set me back quite a bit, I did as suggested and have gotten the basic refinery+ assembler up with the turbines but in order to make the assembler (none basic) i need metal grids, and the little drop ship didnt really have anything apart from the thrusters which could be broken down for like 1 per. So I made a car with an ore detector and my god...my seething hatred for driving in this game came back, I love flying...but the driving.... crashed so many times that I dont want to play lol covered 50km 0 ore of any kind just ice. (started on earthlike)

But yeah this entire "ordeal" lol has made me question why they couldn't of just given you a ship with the same capability but with flight capabilities as well, still start bare bones but not have to search for endless hours looking for resources.... i am well aware I have probably done something wrong here or missed something or whatever but its putting me off solo play now which is irritating I used to love coming in and just collecting stuff (working for it) then completing something and being satisfied by that but always starting with nothing but the lander, the removal of the lander I dont mind the lack of any kind of flight with ore detection i do mind. Frustrating.

They litterally could of just given you some extra thrusters and that would of solved my entire gripe in one go lol

10. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

11. Roxette Senior Engineer

Or just carry a hydrogen bottle and search by suit flying in good sunlight, the ore patches are still just about visible once you can recognise the surface marking on most terrain types.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Although it’s a lot tougher on the alien planet. Mars is easiest, followed by Titan (in my opinion).

13. Malware Master Engineer

@xeNNNNN Simple. Because you're not supposed to be able to go directly to flight. It's deliberate.

Just set up your own start. Easy enough to do.

14. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

Rovers are still fun to use. a small solar panel is enough to power a basic enough one
    just avoid large cliffs. and quick save heh.
    I'm so grateful for the update that overhauled the wheels giving them friction on ground/ice

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I still don’t do much with wheeled vehicles (why roll when you can fly?), but they certainly have their uses.

16. Malware Master Engineer

@Forcedminer True, but... I really wish the planets were more rover friendly. If you have really bad luck you might end up landing somewhere where you can practically not use rovers at all.

17. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Keen giveth more friction and "air shock" and tooketh away steering speed control.

Steering speed control was a way to make it harder to flip a vehicle, especially a larger one. Steering speed control made running with those large grid 5x wheels manageable.

If rough terrain is the problem, legs are the solution. To me, what's maddening is that walking machines don't do well. You can build legs that go through the proper motions, but getting traction is really hard. Piston and rotor heads tend to be really delicate. There's lots of walking scripts out there, but nothing gets enough traction to walk up a hill.

I just think it's a shame that flying seems to be the only alternative on planets.

18. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

"Flying" truly is the space engineer's byword.

19. xeNNNNN Trainee Engineer

I think i'll be fine now. Thank you though! I did think about restarting but I hate giving up so I decided to just do things the hard way. I am now just using rovers though i've destroyed way too many lmao I have like 7 markers on the map like "salvageable vehicle" "destroyable" haha But yeah every direction searched still no uranium I have full set up a respawn point a proper assembler and refinery now though so I think I am in a good position if I can just find that uranium I can finally build my favorite mining ship I know I probably could of converted my droppod but I felt like its a little late now seeing as the battery is dead. I do have another question but that will be for another thread that i'll make after this comment because its a separate topic.

20. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Remember, there’s no uranium on planets or moons anymore (underground ice replaces those ore locations), and moons still have platinum, but not planets.

21. xeNNNNN Trainee Engineer

Went as far as to put that on a sticky note. While of course facepalming at the same time, so much time lost haha

22. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Yeah...been there...done that. Not to make any kind of personal promotion of anything I've done, I realized with the new changes (not "new" anymore) of removing uranium from planets and adding wind turbines and hydrogen engines that power from reactors is still the best choice, and getting the uranium was a matter of getting to space with enough components to set up an offworld refining station, then carry the refined ingots back to my planetary base. (Keep in mind that ore on asteroids is much more "pure" (i.e., less intermixed stone) and easily available, although you have to jump from asteroid to asteroid looking for deposits.) I designed a ship just for that purpose that I call Uranium Express. It's a vanilla ship that's easily built via a projector from components made from materials found on any planet. If you're interested, here's the link...

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1805379684

In past games I've so completely loaded that ship with ingots for returning to a planet that the much greater mass required that I add 4 to 6 large atmospheric thrusters for additional lift, and a large reactor for the necessary power for those thrusters. By the time I'd gotten to that point in my game, however, I had plenty of resources to build those additions without any problem. Just an additional thought based on my past experiences.

23. xeNNNNN Trainee Engineer

Cool! thanks! I'll check it out :) i've been messing about with ship set ups myself for the moment (I refuse to let the game beat me :woot:) but i'll totally check out the ship! i've already subbed :) It looks pretty cool, I am actually curious how you solved the weight issue because the ship I am building cant even have a single landing gear or its too heavy haha though I suppose for the moment I should focus on being economical rather than looking cool.

24. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Uranium Express is designed to carry up a load of components to allow a player to build a starter refining station (there's an LCD screen above the cockpit that lists what it can carry safely into space). If you follow the LCD screen, you'll have enough components to build a battery for starting power. I always make it my first order of business to find a supply of uranium ore so I can start refining uranium ingots; after that, power isn't a problem anymore.