Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What is everyone using for SE modding these days?

Discussion in 'Modding Guides and Tools' started by Geneticus, Jun 23, 2017.

?

What tools do you use for modding? (select as many as apply)

1. Blender(modeling)

2. Maya(modeling)

3. 3dS Max(modeling)

4. Photoshop(Textures)

5. Gimp(Textures)

6. Paint.Net(Textures)

7. Marmoset Toolbox(Textures)

8. Mudbox (Planets)

9. Grand Designer (Planets)

10. World Machine(Planets)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Geneticus Senior Engineer

If you are using something not on the list, please add it in a comment with what it is used for. ex: Audio software for sound mods or some other application that may not be well known like height map generators.

The purpose for this poll is to gauge areas that we don't have good guides for to be able to help each other out.

2. entspeak Senior Engineer

For planet modding, I also use Mudbox or Grand Designer, and World Machine (Heightmaps, Albedo, Custom Ore Maps) - and Bitmap2Materials, World Machine, and Photoshop (Voxel Textures).

3. Geneticus Senior Engineer

Ohhh. I looked at bitmap2materials on steam. Even on sale it is expensive. Then I looked at their website and saw that I qualify for a free copy :)

4. Shaostoul Senior Engineer

Should add Substance Painter.

5. Geneticus Senior Engineer

Apparently 10 is the max number of items on a forum poll ... :(

6. Shaostoul Senior Engineer

Oh well, it has to go through photoshop anyways, so I guess it's okay. :p

7. Regn Trainee Engineer

Blender is an atrocity, but that's what I'm using, unfortunately. Knowing it's the most popular freeware around, I'm frankly too scared to discover how dreadful Maya and 3ds Max might be in contrast. I've been spoiled by Worldcraft / Hammer and Spark, where tools and environment was intuitive to work with. They're not modeling programs, but they are intended to be used with vectors and textures none the less. The number of times I've had to click Shift+S to reposition to nonsensical crosshair back to the 0,0,0 due to left mouse button misclick, would throw a long data type limitation error if it was being counted. Middle mouse button to look around, right click to select, argh. Whose genius idea was it to hide the texture folder in preferences, does anybody know? And don't get me started on how to setup the interface.

Photoshop is grand, though, as always.

8. Herpaderpa Trainee Engineer

im using notepad and MS paint.

9. quarior14 Trainee Engineer

For asters (planets), I use the export texture of Space Engine for heightmap and clouds and caracteristics (atmosphere, gravity, sea level, clouds) but I don’t know Blender can modding Space Engineers. Is just for block or also mwm model like to edit the model of the clouds (no texture, the « shape ») ?
    Also of course I use Notepad ++ for edit configurations files.

10. Roxette Senior Engineer

Poe's Law confirmed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

for the tiny useless bit of modding i have done.
    notepad++ for editing the XML/.SBC text files.
    wavepad sound editor for making the soundblock stuff.
    ............and skyrim sound converter.......
    yes space engineers soundblocks used to only use .xwm sound files so i'd save it in a .wav and convert it over.
    1. Blender(modeling)
    2. Maya(modeling)
    3. 3dS Max(modeling)
    Excellent I've been starting to think about learning how to model things. ofc its not easy starting off. but its something I've wanted for a while.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.