Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What is posible with new physics update?

Discussion in 'General' started by J.R. Ewing, Nov 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. J.R. Ewing Trainee Engineer

What have you achive? What is possible to do with 1.185 that was not possible before?

With MarmOS support, Iam welding my MotherShip/FlyingBase from blueprint while Iam traveling 100m/s towards distant planet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Carrion Senior Engineer

i personally am loving the way that there are now more people who are trying to make complex machines

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Welcome to space engineers instead of space thruster boxes

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Carrion Senior Engineer

to be fair i have been engineering shizzle in this game since about a week after alpha release.

you dont want to know what i had to do to make a rotating turret before we had rotors.
    --- Automerge ---
    [​IMG]

Also IT LIVES. my monster Lives at last

yes sim speed is a little tanked but thats well ALOT of welders and you cant see the mile of converyors, upgraded refiners, arc furnaces, O2 farms, the sorters and cargo holding, 2 smaller
    production slips. and more lights than are sensible. and its a complex ship being built to start with with even more lights etc.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nickvr68 Junior Engineer

What is your speed on the pistons? Fairly slow I bet, since a few blocks take significantly longer to weld than others. And does it leave any partially finished blocks?

6. Sarekh Senior Engineer

You know? I really have issues with the physics update... Once I had realized that stable systems would not be available I concentrated on ships that got along without them, making them as multiplayer friendly as possible and as clang-less as possible. ow that the stuff is finally working I want to build those docking extensions, weapon pods, rotor turrets... but I still have to force myself to even look at rotors, let alone pistons - apparently I have trust issues resulting from a long and intensive trauma.

(by the way @halipatsui I always thought that there was some art involved at the right positioning of systems that made as reliable and as tough a warship as possible, even without the moving stuff - granted, that does not at reach the levels of insanely awesome stuff that people like you, Carrion or Grindy do, but still, I did my part! :()

7. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Simplicity by no means is wrong and simple is often the most beautiful thing to do.

But
    Its not always optimal and definitely not the funniest or most satisfying thing to do.

I tgink its better to have options like the ones we got in this update
    --- Automerge ---
    And it definitely is better that rotors and pistons are in a state where they can be used relably by everyone instead of taning hours of getting used to their strange quirks

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Carrion Senior Engineer

Also IT LIVES. my monster Lives at last

yes sim speed is a little tanked but thats well ALOT of welders and you cant see the mile of converyors, upgraded refiners, arc furnaces, O2 farms, the sorters and cargo holding, 2 smaller
    production slips. and more lights than are sensible.

at the moment its a creative test run. it had issues before hte patch where it simply didnt weld blocks at random even in creative. i will be doing a survival run tonight. iirc on my other rig to weld everything properly it had a combined speed of about .1m/s but i havnt checked it in a long time hence well testings.

its very much a start it and walk away system that i am building to make a fair chunk of my ships in one major hit atleast on paper.

one thing with all such designs is that you need to have very carefull layouts to ensure that everything is placed and made. this is a real design element for the correct positioning of blocks. on the ship that is being tested on as it stands there are about 44 blocks that arnt placed properly
    44 out of nearly 3 thousand and alot of them are just lights or armour blocks that simply cant be placed without making a frame or a welding ship. so i consider that to be quite a positive.

that's not including all the subgrids which on a wayland stands at 40 and then all the time it will take to do the setting up of the system

as ever i like to design whole systems so i also have a bunch of support craft including a starter cart for capital ships so they can actually leave the slip under there own power after the initial welding and manuver prebuild small grids into position instead of making them by hand.

9. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Have you ever tought about how hard it is to stop you?

You will always just carrion

10. Carrion Senior Engineer

stop me from what???? Wibbles with intent :)

11. halipatsui Senior Engineer

In anything!
    But especially in carrying something forward

12. Carrion Senior Engineer

i only just got that. i am not a clever man. goes back to abusing the physics some more

• Late Late x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.