Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What is your highest acceleration attained with a ship?

Discussion in 'General' started by Lt_Duckweed, Apr 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Lt_Duckweed Apprentice Engineer

Lately I've been trying to push the envelope on how fast a ship can be.

So far I have a atmospheric small ship with 65 m/s2, a atmospheric large ship with 55 m/s2, and a ion small ship with 40 m/s2.

All are effective in combat, with the small ships having 4 gats, and the large ship having 2 gat turrets and 2 missile pods.

How about you guys?

• Like Like x 1
  2. PLPM Junior Engineer

Depends... Clang accounted for or "legit" acceleration (Not including gravdrives)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Lt_Duckweed Apprentice Engineer

Legit only. Ions or turbines.

4. odizzido Junior Engineer

Nothing wrong with hydrogen combat ships IMO. Hydrogen is cheap and powerful.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Lt_Duckweed Apprentice Engineer

Cheap and powerful, but gl when you run out of fuel and I'm still stunting on you.

6. odizzido Junior Engineer

Yup, that's certainly a concern which you need to weigh against cost and how long you expect your ship to go before being destroyed. And if they're using rockets. There are a ton of factors, and I don't have much combat experience in SE really so I am just going by my experience in other games and my imagination.

Still, I certainly wouldn't dismiss the potential before trying it out.

7. PLPM Junior Engineer

To be fair, extreme high acceleration is expensive, specially for Ions. I usually steer away from that and focus on decent acceleration and decent all-around performance.
    There are some ships designs which benefit extremely from high acceleration, like small ship gat walls; those things are uncontested in destruction capability.

Still they make for potentially very expensive ships.

8. Ravric Apprentice Engineer

Per Napkin Math:

865m/s2 is the limit for hydrogen thrusters
    6,000m/s2 is the limit for the game

It would be foolish to ignore the power of hydrogen or troll physics

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Lt_Duckweed Apprentice Engineer

It's not that I'm ignoring them, I'm just curious as to what others have come up with performance wise for pure turbine and pure ion setups.

Also 865m/s2 is if your ship is only big ship big hydros facing one way. If you want to have more than 6 min of burn you need at least 1 tank per large hydro and you are down to 396.7 m/s2. On a small ship, one large hydro + one fuel tank gives you a bit over 2.5 min of burn with a maximum potential of 91.3 m/s2.

Also you can't trolldrive a small ship.

All that being said, hydrogen is still the best for short term high burn flights.

And outside of a planetary gravity well a 3 axis trolldrive with a good script will curbstomp anything.

10. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Not sure, but I think it's the Sava; large grid, about two thousand tons, ion engines, 20.8 m/sec^2.

11. Ravric Apprentice Engineer

Vanilla Trolldrives for small ships are possible but have issues with % of the mass of the total vessel

Here is a ship that is over 2 years old that has 31 m/s2 acceleration (7.77 m/s2 with only thrusters)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Robotnik V Apprentice Engineer

forward propulsion of ~70m/s^s, it's a small ship with two large ship gatling turrets, four reloadable rocket launchers, 2 large reactors, a cockpit, I forget how many batteries, it was around 8 I think, only forward and upward propulsion, some gyroscopes, a few other blocks, and too many large ion thrusters.

13. plaYer2k Master Engineer

The limit should be 2 * 60 Hz * V_max. So with vanilla speed limits (V_max) of 100 m/s it would be 2 * 60 Hz * 100 m/s = 12 000 m/s².
    That is pretty much what @Ravric tried to point out just that this considers the situation where you move from -V_max and suddenly change velocity in one tick to another to +V_max.

Thanks to the nice old thruster override bug producing about 2^31 N thrust for a ship of roughly 5 000 kg one could get nearly 429 497 m/s² acceleration and thus far beyond the limits of what this engine allows through speed limits.

14. Lt_Duckweed Apprentice Engineer

I was referring to small grid ships actually.

Damn bro, this is exactly what I was looking for! By my calculations fully 35% of your ship's mass was forward thrusters!

15. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

9.81m/s with an ion ship.

Unless its running on hydrogen I regularly underthrust my ships so much that they won't even move in certain directions.

16. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

I tried building a version of the Corellian Corvette ... which had an 11 times array of large hydrogen thrusters attached to fuel tanks. The ship itself was minimal....

Acceleration was remarkable...but as I was playing vanilla, getting to 10-5m/s in an instant was not really helpful. It was also remarkably wasteful, as you would usually be burning fuel after you hit the speed cap.

17. Ravric Apprentice Engineer

Aww i was thinking of starting from zero... Totally forgot about that.

The other day I built this for kicks. 3rd person is soo unbelievably broken (Please KSH fix it this year, please I am tired of waiting):

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Lt_Duckweed Apprentice Engineer

107.8 m/s2. I file that under DAMN FAST™

19. jerry060599 Trainee Engineer

20. Lt_Duckweed Apprentice Engineer

Ah, the N.E.M.E.S.I.S effect (Near Edge Magnetic Entrapment Slip Induced Spatial Effect) in action. Prior to now it was considered merely fanciful theory.

21. Taemien Apprentice Engineer

How the hell does that even work?

22. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

Merge block and rotor offset phantom forces?

23. jerry060599 Trainee Engineer

24. Robotnik V Apprentice Engineer

Also known as the concentrated dark matter drive.

Edit: Wait, how did a Jerry get a hold of this technology???

25. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

let me guess 0 m/s to 100 m/s in 0.5 seconds when you press 1.

how hard is it to slow down? :p

26. jerry060599 Trainee Engineer

What? I don't see an issue here... :p

27. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

that is a very impressive build does it have to be eventually balanced? or else does it go off in a mad direction?

28. jerry060599 Trainee Engineer

Nope. It is completely inertia less. No balancing needed with the power of clang.

29. Bumber Senior Engineer

I imagine you'd want to flip the ship 180° and use the same thruster.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.