Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What makes it unique?

Discussion in 'General' started by Parasite54, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Parasite54 Trainee Engineer

Hello,

Having purchased Miner Wars 2081, I'm interested in learning what mechanics will be introduced to make Space Engineers unique. Although I had enjoyed Miner Wars 2081, specifically the concept of multiplayer, I found that it could get boring fast.

It's not that I didn't explore other aspects of the game, but I noticed that I could hardly find any multiplayer servers a few months following its release. What I want to know is what Space Engineers will bring to the table, other than the upgraded interface and physics engine.

If you're able to, please discuss what you're going to offer the consumer base with this latest release. My biggest fear is making a purchase I have to regret, because it failed to entertain me as I expected it would.

Thank you.

2. kuro11 Apprentice Engineer

I think the sandbox aspect with the physics options and (if like miner wars) modability makes it open enough that a low price point (~20) would make this worth it in the long run.
    If you give a bunch of people a good base to work with I think amazing things could from from the modding community assuming the primary release was simple but optimized / easily extended.

If you have a tough time deciding then I'd just wait for one of the many reviews I'm sure the game will get.

3. jstylen Trainee Engineer

Not sure if trolling...

4. Phero Tyrian Trainee Engineer

This isn't an expansion to Miner wars, so I don't think your criteria are really very good at collecting the data you want. They are different games, with different systems and philosophies and even different playing modes. Comparing one to the other like you have in such a linear way is hardly the best way to decide on whether you want to play it or not.:)

5. Dauntless Trainee Engineer

I think what mainly sets the two apart is the ship/base building. It's essentially an open sandbox in space where you can play the game however you wish. Say, if you wanted more of a space station to call home then you could spend most of your time on that, and add on to it and expand as the resources became available. Or if you wanted to build a massive ship as your base of operations I imagine that's possible as well.

Really the possibilities with this type of game are endless. The base game by itself seems like a blast, but what's really fun about sandbox games is seeing what mods people come up with. There's likely to be pvp servers with huge factions that you could join, or you could lone wolf it and become a pirate striking only when the time is right.

That's not even to mention the awesome physics. Imagine how awesome it would be to build a small vessel that's heavily armored in the front capable of breaching larger ships, and then coming aboard guns blazing and claiming the ship as your own. Of course I don't even know if that's possible, but it certainly seems feasible from what I've seen.

6. TechyBen Junior Engineer

There are many many block building games out there. Space included. So the only different feature I can see, is the most impressive, the physics. As to the previous game made by the studio, some times it's best to start over. Other times it's best to improve. As long as we are hard working and honest, things work out.

7. Wyvyrias Junior Engineer

Well, I think they wasted a lot of potential in Miner Wars 2081.
    The VRAGE Engine seems to be perfect for a game like Space Engineers.
    I can't wait for the final release (or even the beta). I think they can integrate a lot of stuff into SE with this engine.
    Things like oxygen could become specially interesting.

8. bacondeity Apprentice Engineer

Well, if I read the post mortem blog post of MW2081 correctly, the game only assumed %70-something of Marek's true vision. It was bogged down by bureaucracy, inexperience of making a game, as well as inexperience when it came to having a dedicated development team. Space Engineers on the other hand, is the culmination of learning from their mistakes with a game that finally encompasses what Marek wanted to make originally.

So it's not unfair to say that Miner Wars and Space Engineers are similar games (in relation to the engine and idea), but the re-invention of Keen SWH, proper focus of development, and all these sweetass new features (and updated engine) that makes Space Engineers a new, and different game.

But to be perfectly honest, if they kept the same premise from Miner Wars (about what happened to the sun), that would be pretty damn sweet, I really liked it. (Although, if you're gonna make the sun explode, make sure we can turn that off in our MP servers :woot:)

9. zyphyer Trainee Engineer

Winar. You post good stuff don't ya! :D

10. bacondeity Apprentice Engineer

Thanks man. :D I am good at analytics. :p But it's easy to post interesting and relatable things when you're passionate and enthusiastic about something. Which I am when it comes to Space Engineers. Great concept, great game, and luckily, great community so far. And starting the Dominion led me to some nice new acquaintances and future partners in RP and multi.

This can only get better.

But honestly, I just try to as constructive as possible with my posts and make people think. (I sound like a self righteous butthead, but I'm not, I'm just really tired and about to get off work at 7am)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.