Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What more default cockpit scripts do you want?

Discussion in 'General' started by SirConnery, Nov 21, 2019.

1. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

I'd really like a default battery script, where you can just see the combined amount of kW left in your batteries. I usually run purely battery based ships and the energy meter can be really deceiving for those. "10 minutes power left, oh whoops, (systems shutdown)"

2. Lord Grey Apprentice Engineer

Storage space left. Definately a gauge for total storage room, what's left of it an how much weight you got.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

Definitely both of these. Just a simple battery meter not the estimated time left, and total storage capacity used/remaining would be great, especially for small mining ships.

Heh, also wish the digital clock wasn't 24 hour. If you don't know which half of the day you're in, you need to stop playing the game and go to sleep.:)

4. Malware Master Engineer

No thanks. Most countries use 24-hour clocks and Keen didn't want configuration for these scripts.

I asked. Trust me, I asked. I strongly disapprove of these clocks being client-local so time might be different on the same screen depending on who's looking... :stare:

... and I really really want the ability to easily configure my own LCD scripts :mad:

5. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

The clock was a mod. Not saying Keen used it or copied it. Just saying it was a popular mod, I'm guessing mostly among Single Player types who liked to keep track of time in-game. I liked it because it showed my local time to viewers of my stream.

I've never really thought about it before but, if you're on a server does that mean you go by the server's time zone, or should everything be UTC? When I play, my fleet is always on Alaska Standard Time because that's where the boss is from. We use a 24 hour standard day, although we don't have to.

In space, when someone asks you what time it is, you just tell Alexa to play that tune from Chicago.

I quoted this because I really really agree with it.

6. Malware Master Engineer

@Stardriver907 The clock was not a mod. I mean, sure, there was likely a clock in a mod or script somewhere, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the current LCD clock. It uses tech that wasn't available in any way shape or form neither in mods nor programmable block scripts (sprites) and it was quite simply a test script they wrote just to have, you know, something while they developed that tech.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

A simple % left for batteries, cargo space used/left and a compass.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Concave Apprentice Engineer

Embedded hotkeys on a designated toolbar page that would send out fleet commands. For individual combat, have one page set as a "QWERTY" array of abilities with cooldowns (skill shots/shield bursts/aura heals on MOBAs or abilities on battle royales)

9. Timuroslav Apprentice Engineer

Functioning, Damaged, Weapon block list.
    With a Rectangular box stating [Functional] or [Broken] next to the image icon of the weapon.

Active Thruster counter. So I can see which thrusters are broken or [Firing]

10. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Honestly, I want to be able to label the toolbar with just a few letters of small text for each entry in the 9x9 bank of toolbars. Just enough to read 8-10 letters. Just give me a string[] or a List string containing 81 entries and a way to access them in the cockpit, flightseat, or remote control... store the data in the same place in the xml entry for the block.

Now I can effectively label all the controls for someone to use in the workshop without them playing the guessing game or research what each button does. I can just label it with something that's easy to remember. If you want to give me goosebumps, allow those 81 text strings to accessible via the programmable block.

Upgrade the cockpits to offer more features... definitely... then release a $20 cockpit DLC pack with 20 cockpits with different designs like bubbles, tandem cockpits, etc. $20 for the pack and $1.25 for them individually.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

I'm surprised no one has bashed you over the head for suggesting "pay-to-win".

I'm even more surprised that you believe Keen can come up with 20 more different cockpits. I've been "collecting" cockpits since 2014. I believe I have every available cockpit in the game and it's less than ten (not including flight seats).

I would like to see a cockpit script that tells me that my auto pilot is on, name and distance to current waypoint, and at least the name of the next waypoint and maybe the distance.

And when I'm in a gravity well, I would like a compass with the artificial horizon.

12. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Are 20 variants possible? Probably. They can be derivative as far as I'm concerned. Alternate cockpits aren't really pay-to-win unless they offer a huge advantage. The latest flight-seat had that problem. They stuck it back in vanilla and the problem was solved... though anyone who paid for the DLC would be entitled to a refund IMHO as a product was removed from the DLC they paid for. But as far as variants: bubble cockpits, tandem cockpits, side-by-side configurations, even different curves... fewer but larger text surfaces... you can go nuts with variants.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 23:46
  13. Malware Master Engineer

You say that as if reason has any part of this. You can try to tell that to the people causing the not insignificant backlash towards the original dlc cockpit, as well as those who screams "foul" with any hint of functionality in the dlc blocks even if it's exactly the same function as the vanilla blocks.

We just can't have anything nice...

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

You'll stifle people who are willing to contribute money to your company to make the people who won't pay another dime happy. How do you WIN at Space Engineers with a fancier cockpit? I'd rather keep the game alive with the purchasing of a bit of bling than to wrap it up and see ya later. I think people who are against the DLC are shooting themselves in the foot. When there is no more money for development... it stops. That's a hard stop. Because no one gets a choice if there's no money. Everyone is forced into the world of mods and the official development of the game stops. I can afford $5 every few months or an odd $20 here and there if it means a better game for everyone to play. Suffer me my fancy cockpits, nice catwalks, and a bed to pretend to lie in. In my opinion, as a business decision it's exactly what they should do as it keeps experienced staff with the company as well as gaining more experience with your software and processes.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Malware Master Engineer

@Ronin1973 If it's a choice between paying a little bit to get some nice new blocks, or not getting any new blocks at all, the choice is very simple for me.

I mean, to a reasonable level. Even I will take exception to a weapon DLC that functions differently from vanilla weapons... :p

16. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Well, as it turns out, cockpits inherently offer a huge advantage. Every time Keen tries to sell a cockpit the pitchforks and torches come out. No one cried foul over the planters. Or the toilet. A cockpit is an integral part of your ship's appearance. No one gives a hoot about functionality. Only thing that matters is looks. If it looks cool, it must be vanilla, and we shouldn't have to pay for it. [insert Kappa here]

Games that embrace the pay-to-win model, MechWarrior Online, War Thunder, Crossout, etc., allow cheapskate hardcore, thrifty players a chance to "earn" DLC. Of course, those are actual games that keep score. Still, Keen did institute an "economy".

On topic, since the hotbar is so limited, it would be nice to see some hotbar functionality on my screens. Yes, I can have a button to reverse my piston, but when I click it will my piston extend or retract? Can't remember and only one way to find out (Clang grins). Maybe there's enough room on the screen for the piston's name/function as well? Might be nice to know the length of current extension (or rotor angle) and whether or not they're currently in reverse mode. Might even be nice to have an indication of whether things are even on or off. I hate trying to retract a piston that I turned off. Only way to tell is to just know.

17. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

What I think would be really handy for using rotors and pistons is a hotbar button that is 'extend' or 'retract' or 'rotate clockwise' or 'rotate anticlockwise' that does what it says when held down. It's a royal pain in the backside controlling things with on/off and reverse buttons.

18. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

That's why I wanted the text fields to be accessible via the programmable block. I'd love to see those things too... but I don't think Keen will put in that much work and it would probably be just a handful of things. With the programmable block (which can be a pain finding access to on a public server albeit) I can throw down a handful of code and make something like that happen.

19. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Actually, extend and retract are functions you can put on your hotbar, and you have positive and negative velocity for both. Unfortunately those functions are ill-suited for button pushing and more suited for script commands.

But they should. They made it possible to run scripts on monitors. Frankly, all the information on the HUD should be available on a monitor. Unless you are in combat, in a cockpit you shouldn't need to rely on your helmet HUD at all times. Even raising your visor should disable the HUD.

But... that would just make being able to remove the EVA gear more desirable. Not more likely, though:(

20. Malware Master Engineer

Those have nothing to do with the programmable block though. They're moddable scripts specially designed to do displays. As opposed to the programmable block, they run on the client, not the server.

Keen aren't likely to be doing much work on the programmable block at all, save for one or two devs who which might do some stuff on their own free time.

21. GABRIEL ROMANO Trainee Engineer

Hello!
    I suggest to add thresholds for activating an action(s) such as change the display's strings/background colour or activate a sound block or whatever is activable.
    Thankyou!

22. Malware Master Engineer

Inspired by some of your wishes here, I wanted to make a compass LCD script. Hit a snag... how the heck would I know what direction the ship is pointed - when the direction of a grid is by definition undefined... :( the direction of a grid depends on what cockpit you're in at the current moment, so... what if you're not in a cockpit?

Oh well. Since I personally always make grid-forward be the ship's actual forward, at least I'll get to enjoy the script myself - but I'm not sure it feels good enough to release...

23. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Ok, so I have been using a compass mod for my HUD for years now. Some mods that I have used needed you to designate a flight seat/control console or remote control as the grid's "official position".

I know. What I meant was that monitors can run scripts independently from PBs, meaning that they were prepared to have something in the game that could run scripts and therefore eliminate the PB from the normal game and relegate it to "experimental". Do you have any idea at all what happened to that idea? ;)

Having done so, there should be many more standard scripts available since this does not seem to be something Modders want to take on. It's like when Modders got access to the HUD I thought there would be dozens of HUD mods but I'm only aware of two.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019 at 21:51
  24. Malware Master Engineer

Problem is, as I mentioned above, LCD scripts have no real way of configuring them... but I'm thinking of simply adopting the orientation of the block the script is installed in, making the assumption it'll usually be installed in a cockpit or seat of some kind.

They were never a replacement for the PB in any way. These scripts are pure display scripts, nothing else. Well. That's not really true, given that they're your bog-standard mod, really.

25. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Well, I know you can get the center of the planet via IMyShipController. As far as determining north from south, I believe planets align with the world grid coordinate system in some way... so one of the axis. The sun rotates around world map perpendicular to one of the axis. I think from there you can derive north and south.

26. Malware Master Engineer

That's not the problem. The problem is determining what the ship's direction is, as its forward direction doesn't necessarily match the grid's forward direction.

And also, while you can make pb scripts that draw sprites, LCD scripts are mods. As such I don't need to rely on blocks and generally have access to more information.

27. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Throw in a dependency that the "Main Cockpit" bool is true and now you have your orientation of which part of the ship is facing forward. Unless you're a psycho and like crab-walk a ship.. I think we should be okay. :)

You could go as far as to create a list of <IMyCockpit> and check to see if any of them are "true." As there can be only one, that's the defacto front of the ship. If they are all false, then just throw a message up on the textsurface that the player needs to set the main cockpit bool to true for the compass to work. Is there a way to make the message accessible to localizers?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019 at 07:55
  28. Malware Master Engineer

I can't do that... there are several builds that has multiple workable cockpits i.e. can't use Main Cockpit, and there are builds that actually have cockpits pointing in different directions. Heck, there are even builds that don't have cockpits at all...

Hang on a second... I might have gotten an idea. I think I've been going about this entirely the wrong way. Here's hoping this idea doesn't vaporize from my head before I get home from work :p

29. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I followed up on my idea to spark your creativity. I edited my previous post. I think it is entirely doable. Any block capable of enabling main cockpit can be found via the in-game scripting... so something like a Keen side script should be able to do the same thing.

30. Malware Master Engineer

Mods have access to everything scripts do and much, much more, but no, like I said, I can't rely on Main Cockpit, it's too restrictive. But I think I might have a generalized solution, if I can get the math right.

To my knowledge localization is a general problem even for mods.