Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What quality of life improvements would you like to see?

Discussion in 'General' started by SirConnery, Apr 1, 2019.

1. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

What small improvements would you like to see in the game.

Mine are

1. Airleak finder option

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

I wish the timer block had a realistically-sized light.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Blueprints with subgrids.

• Agree Agree x 9
  4. Malware Master Engineer

Per-ship grouped control panel, color is nowhere near enough...

• Agree Agree x 11
  5. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

You can have this option with a mod (plus a load more block information that is normally invisible such as thruster max thrust for the altitude you are at for example) assuming you play where you can use them. Buildinfo by Digi.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=514062285

It adds an option on the control panel for vents to check for air leaks.
    --- Automerge ---
    A QOL addition I would like to see is a change to the mod menu. I would like to be able to group certain mods as "favourites" and sort them easily so when I create a new game I can have certain mods automatically selected.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. domingo Trainee Engineer

For me to even consider to return to SE would be:
    - UI overhaul with respect to playability and clarity - so that UI won't impede but help, plus you won't have to write down which button does what on which 'G' page ... all complex builds suffers from this
    - tamed clang
    - block customization OR additional blocks -> for more compact builds (because sometimes you have to use far more blocks just to line up the conveyors)
    - hose/cable - so you won't have to artifically line up the grids just to refill/recharge one of them
    - several QoL improvements from support site that are either ignored or were downright rejected (looking at you gravel/concrete)

Game still feels half-baked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Yeah but it also clutters the rest of the UI with unnecessary information. If a stand alone air leak mod were to be made that would be cool. But even better just make it into vanilla game. There is no reason not to.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Malware Master Engineer

Well... unfortunately real life gets in the way of that - there is a potential reason not to. It costs a lot of money for Keen to do, the question is if there's enough return on that job. It sucks, but Keen is a business, they're not making games for the fun of it :p

Maybe we should ask Digi if he'd be willing to make a detection tool in the same vein as his paint gun, as a stand-alone mod. He's the author of both mods after all. I'll ask, we'll see what happens.

9. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Well, sure. There's always a financial reason to not devote resources to make your game better. In my eyes creating a visual que for finding the air leak is a really about 4 hour job to do for a professional developer. The game engine already knows where the leaks are so it's only a matter of creating UI.

10. Malware Master Engineer

You shouldn't make such assumptions, my friend. Things are never that easy. It never is. For example, the information the engine already has is not designed to be used this way so it won't be readily available. And in addition to dev time there's the planning, the testing, the inevitable bugfixing... It adds up.

11. Roxette Senior Engineer

I would like the entire user interface to be re-designed from scratch by somebody with suitable education and experience.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. Malware Master Engineer

As someone with said experience - if maybe a little lacking on the education side - the SE UX hurts.

13. Kalantris Trainee Engineer

Yeah, the little things we have to do every damn time like clicking the search bar before looking for something in cargo containers. There's literally no other place in this portion of the UI capable of taking any kind of keyboard-fed input, so I see no reason to not put your cursor in the search bar by default. The progress UI also needs some loving, not even mentioning the blocks menu, where I can't ever seem to find anything unless I search for it (by clicking the search bar first of course). I would also love to see cathegories in the K menu sorted by block types and an "ALL" tab we have now.

A separate inventory bar for tools would also be a welcome addition which came to my mind around 4AM last friday. I needed 18 motors to complete one engine and 6 more for the second one. (18 + 6) * 4AM = 23 obviously. Well, once I noticed my math might have been off by a little I hastily returned to the cargo container. Hastily enough to almost kill myself by hitting it. Then I unloaded some unnecessary things, picked up the god damn motor, got back to the ship and noticed one of the unnecessary things I unloaded was the welder. I returned to the ********* cargo container hastily enough to kill myself this time. All this could have been avoided by a simple QOL improvement to the inventory. I mean it might sound funny now, but you should have seen me then.

14. Digi Senior Engineer

Maybe I'll get around to separate that off into a more immersive tool at some point, but not right now.

The buildinfo mod always had a simple toggle for the text info, and recently the information itself is split into toggleable parts, along with other of its features being toggleable, therefore it's effectively same as a standalone mod for leak info.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Morloc Apprentice Engineer

Well, other than Lasers and Shields....I guess an Air Leak finder would be most welcome!

:)

-Morloc

16. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Just to test Malware's hypothesis. How long in hours would you estimate it took you to create the airleak finder part of the mod?

Let's science this out now. We are going to space after all.

17. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Without a doubt, this mod has been a lifesaver when I've had the occasional leak that defies the obvious. But, thankfully, that's not very often; I've made enough basic mistakes building that I've pretty much noodled-out the connections that don't work from an airtight standpoint. Typically, Digi's mod is not something I have running all the time, but rather I use it purely for airleak diagnostics. Therefore, making it a standalone mod doesn't seem to have any benefit for me and the way I use it. (I'm just tossing in my 2ยข worth.)

18. Malware Master Engineer

"Hypothesis"? It's an educated estimation based on 30 years of experience programming, with about half that professionally :p

It's a common advice given to fresh programmers... whenever you make an estimation, take the time you think it's gonna to take, and then multiply it with Pi :p

(and this is just for the programming part of it)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Engineering estimates are much the same. Unless you've exercised that particular design-and-build-to-completion process before, contingencies must be healthy if you want to succeed and not drive your company to bankruptcy.

20. Calaban Junior Engineer

Easy, small thing to improve quality of life in pure vanilla:

Jump Drive GPS coordinate list- a way to sort, alphabetize, and categorize them- or at least as much as renaming in the GPS tab does.

21. Roxette Senior Engineer

There are variants... I use "time you think, convert to binary and shift left 2 bits" ... but I'm used to low level programming :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Sure, if there's anything where one's estimated time to complete a feature will be off by a factor of 10 it's gonna be programming. But the airlock finder has already been done in a mod. And I'm betting it didn't take 100 hours for digi to make.

23. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Nothing ever works out like you think. I said there would never be planets because THEY said there would never be planets, and then we got spectacular planets and anyone can put in any kind of planet they want. Still need use a vent window if you want a 1x1 staircase, though...

I wish there was just a tiny bit more room in the hot bar so that when you used it to, say, reverse a piston it would show you it's current extension, or a rotor would show current angle and maybe current direction (CW or CCW). I'd really like to label them because I build stuff with a lot of pistons, rotors, wheel suspensions, etc. and while I can become quite a virtuoso after building and using a contraption for a day, when I come back to it a day or two later I forget which button does what.

24. Malware Master Engineer

No, but there was no production leader standing over him yelling at him to get all the other who-knows-how-many hundreds of tasks done. And modded code can rarely if ever be copied verbatim into production code. None of the mods Keen has adopted were. They were all tweaked and updated. There's always tweaking to be done. There's so many factors to take into consideration here, most of which we don't even know about.

25. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

I concede the point. Can we still agree that airleak finder would be nice though?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

I wish the lights on the connectors actually gave off light.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

I really am not a fan of these types of posts. Gets hype going which leads to confusion, people start swearing they got it from Keen themselves and kind of spirals out of control. Example all the talk of SE 2, that was not a real thing. :)

With all that said, the Remote Block needs some major work. Granted I have good scripts to rely on, but the vanilla version should be as capable. :)

(No hate or ill will intended with this post btw.) :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  28. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

KSH put out a survey asking about what they should do next, and that was an option. But another option was an MMO, which was kind of absurd to the point of comic.

29. Spets Master Engineer

Controls Seat for small grid
    Autocenter view button
    Search for the Shift F10 menu
    Hide Crosshair when I hide the HUD, or similar to this mod https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1696120479
    Easy Inventory Mod
    be able to rotate the character 360 all directions in zero gravity without jetpack. Currently you can only rotate left and right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Roxette Senior Engineer

Whose idea was it to change the view movement system so the angle is persistent after 'alt' is released ? This is the real problem, and having another button is a poor fix for it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2