Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What to do with Extra Gravel?

Discussion in 'General' started by ObjectZero, Mar 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. ObjectZero Apprentice Engineer

I'm kind of wondering what people are doing with the extra gravel they now get from the survival start?

I've just been dumping it in to a cargo hold till I find a use for it.

2. Calaban Junior Engineer

Basically just for reactor components. Even then- not so much.

I suspect gravel is just the new version of Stone: " don't get stuck with 50k of Stone hogging up your cargo.." only now Stone has a use.. so we need another useless cargo stuffer to punish the inattentive.

3. ObjectZero Apprentice Engineer

@Calaban You're right it does feel like the old stone piles. I figure my pile is going to get much bigger before I build a reactor. Since Ur is so rare now and I can mange a ship on an H2 engine and batteries.

4. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Concrete armor from stone would be nice. I would make it require a lot of stone and be impractically heavy for moving ships. Maybe a cement production block that requires large amounts of oxygen to produce concrete "components"? Maybe even a new tool to handle it? Grinding down concrete doesn't retrieve concrete components but raw stone. Concrete doesn't flow electricity (like windows doesn't). So you can't spam concrete.

Any modders out there who want to give this a go?

5. ObjectZero Apprentice Engineer

There are a few mods for concrete blocks.

as for vanilla the dev's already nixed it.
    https://support.keenswh.com/spaceengineers/publictest/topic/a-use-for-all-that-gravel-concrete

only reason I can figure is due to the PCU limit.

6. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Or some type of recycle bin lottery. Put in say 1000 gravel get 10 Nickel, 10000 gravel get 10 Plat something like that... I am just thinking out loud dont mind me :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ObjectZero Apprentice Engineer

Yup i would take some kind of tear four refinery to sort all the gravel. Dump all the gravel in to it and get a very small amount of ore. Better then piling it up or dumping it and waiting for the clean up script to take it away (which for some reason in this current update decided to take my half finished small ship over a pile of gravel)

8. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

They said the same thing about ladders. :)

9. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

It's kinda weird because I can't imagine real engineers finding themselves with piles of gravel NOT using it as building material.

It appears once we get to space, everything, including rubber tires, is made of metal.

10. Malware Master Engineer

Yes, well... Do you know what happens to rubber in space? :p

11. Thermonuklear Junior Engineer

Put it in a box and use it as a counterweight?

12. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

According to Elon Musk and Space X rubber does fine in space, the Tesla and Spaceman are still going strong....

Personally I think they never launched it at all, that is just the skeptic in me. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Kilences Trainee Engineer

I hope they will add a kind of "concrete gun", consuming gravel as fuel and acting as a survival voxel hand, to fill holes with a new kind of ground that drops gravel on drilling it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Or Keen could just change the file and make Gravel Output lower...easiest and simplest fix for them. That way in the future if they come up with something else that can use Gravel they can just bump the output up.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Actually, I didn't mean to include that. There's no actual rubber in any tire made today, much less 2077.

I'm guessing that whatever tires are actually made of in 2077, it won't be steel.
    --- Automerge ---
    In fact, people have for years been asking for something that can build roads. What might be nice is some sort of grid tool you would tow behind a small or large grid rover that would "level out" the voxels it moved over and then laid a nice smooth layer of gravel, which I will tell you is what actually happens when a mining claim turns into an actual mine. That's what real miners do with gravel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Malware Master Engineer

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Has anyone played the newest Prey game? there is a gun in that that is called the gloo cannon, it lets you place down blobs in the world..... something like that for SE might be interesting, with it using concrete mixed with something else to put blobs down, sealing doorways, or building up gaps in a base... I don't know, just throwing ideas out there.

18. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

And out of all the things we got from the Apollo Program, this is not one of them.

19. ObjectZero Apprentice Engineer

They didn't hold up well. But well enough to work.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Malware Master Engineer

I guess I should have added a :p to that image post as it wasn't meant to be taken seriously :D (it wasn't meant to be so gigantic either)

The various actual wheels they make for space use these days are quite interesting though.

21. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Build a road. Build a yellow-brick road.

22. Mollymawk Trainee Engineer

i am using a small grid ejector to squirt gravel into a gravel hopper, I think this adds some welcome movement to the factory, and the cubes look better than when i used stones for this. i use the small ejector, so I get lots of packets to fill the hopper, I suppose you could eject from a large connector, if you are worried about too many floaters in the world.

23. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@Mollymawk as long as we do not have floaters in the pool..... gross thought of the day....you are welcome! :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  24. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Nah, it's only a candy bar.

25. Calaban Junior Engineer

One benefit of my Scratch Base (TM) startup mini base is that, at the end, I have a deep "scratch" into the surface that winds up being a perfect place to dump all excess gravel into.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

"TM"? Really?? You had to go there!?!

27. Calaban Junior Engineer

well, it would be a trademark if it is what all my earth, mars, moon, asteroid bases look like- no medbays, no hangars, no grinderpits.

in such a case, it would be a.. Calaban TradeMark

.. i mean its not like i copyrighted it or anything.

so there ;)

28. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Well...........................................OK...........................................I guess.

29. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

That'd be nice if we could make concrete blocks that are weaker to impact than steel, but immune to thruster damage. Could be abused on ships so make them insanely heavy? Gotta be something productive we can do with all this gravel. Maybe just gravity gun ammo?

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

That's a big negative, good buddy.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.