Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What to do with Extra Gravel?

Discussion in 'General' started by ObjectZero, Mar 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

2. Einharjar Junior Engineer

Better share, Spiff. I haven't had breakfast yet.

3. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

:tu:
    --- Automerge ---
    Dang! I knew I should have specified ASTM A516 instead!

4. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Yes. it appears concrete is beyond the capabilities of Space Engineers in 2077. The whole point of the Survival Kit was that you could use the material under your feet wherever you land to start building, but instead of using gravel as a building material we do some serious refining for trace material to make steel.

I like the idea of concrete block not transmitting power. I have issues with armor blocks transmitting not only power but network traffic as well, given that the only building material is steel. Concrete block that do that would drive me crazy. I wonder, then, if it would not be better if the concrete "block" was a voxel block?

It's not the players' fault that the building material we're forced to use exclusively is steel ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Einharjar Junior Engineer

There is a mod that has a voxel hand that produces concrete voxels. The issues however is that voxels are not airtight so creating a real shelter with them is not possible. It's only usable in creating easy to use foundations and to some extent, convincing roads for your rovers.

6. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

I'm only aware of one concrete mod and it's a real old one. I subscribed to it but never have used it because I heard it had issues. One of them may very well have been consternation because the blocks weren't airtight, but I don't believe the intent of the Modder was to use the mod to make shelters, and was indeed intended for foundations and roads. I believe that would be sufficient because steel makes more sense for building a shelter than concrete (depending, of course, on what the shelter is for).

Although, again, there's lots better stuff to make shelter out of than steel, especially in a true survival situation.

7. dispair Apprentice Engineer

I think the reason we use iron for building is just a matter of availability. Asteroid composition is carbon silicon and iron. Of course there are some amount of any possible materials.

Now, as for stone or gravel. I think the obvious material would be ceramic. Ceramic materials offer a space age material that can be very hard, cheap to make in large amounts and could come in two varieties. We're could have light easy blocks to build bases and heavy super material for armor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

I believe you misunderstand. I wasn't questioning that we use what's available in the game to make structures. My issue is that the developer, Keen, made a conscious decision to have steel be the primary building material. It's their game. They could have chosen anything and just made it so. Aluminum, ceramics, plastics, carbon fiber. They chose steel, and I presume that's because of SE's Miner Wars heritage and an assumption that everything you build in the game has to be military grade.

9. ObjectZero Apprentice Engineer

With @Spaceman Spiff around we have to make everything military grade.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

You guys say the nicest things! Really!! :D

11. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Back on topic of what to do with extra gravel.
    I am building a system that fills small (large grid) containers and shoot them out into space.
    And when I am in my world where all I am doing is living in space, shoot them down onto a planet. :D

12. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Brilliant! I gravel at your feet!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@Spaceman Spiff lol.

In my case though I am running a mod that cuts down gravel output, so it takes a while to fill up even one large grid small container. So I can afford to build the thrusters and power generation needed to blast them from a planet into space.
    If I had normal gravel output this may not be an efficient method of disposal. :)

And I am sure I am breaking a law of sending waste into space. :D

14. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Only the nuclear stuff, although that was proposed as a way to dispose of nuclear waste...blast it to the sun. Yeah...no.

15. dispair Apprentice Engineer

Nope. I am saying in real life, without looking it up astriods have iron in (relatively) high amounts. Therefore if you have energy systems such as as tiny reactor making steel (carbon is high also) is a good choice. Of course as soon as you get past "survival" you would likely start to other materials.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.