Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What you up to in survival?

Discussion in 'Survival' started by TKG92, Mar 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. TKG92 Trainee Engineer

Currently mining in the rescue ship within a huge asteroid. This update has been an absolute game changer Thanks Devs! :cool:

So what you guys doing in survival?

2. Nickvr68 Junior Engineer

Enjoying the epic new soundtrack!

3. DemonFiren Apprentice Engineer

Getting a feel for it, although I should really be going to bed.

4. Drunken_doc Apprentice Engineer

Mining for the Collective, as no other sucker will do it. :(

5. ShaggyAMT Apprentice Engineer

I almost ran out of power before I got some Uranium refined. Right now, I am mining faster than my Refinery can produce ingots, trying to build another refinery/assembler combo, then a space truck...

6. mastpayne Senior Engineer

Trying to stay ahead of that blasted refinery and reactor combo. Nothing like starting out with 20 minutes of power, most of which was needed to make more uranium. Can we have a slower refinery?

7. TKG92 Trainee Engineer

Yeah does seem a bit strange that the assembler making complex components spits out high tech stuff in a quart the time it takes to manufacture the minerals needed to make it. I guess we'll have to wait until conveyors get added before we can get a proper industrial process under way.

8. Tazoo Trainee Engineer

As a few other people here I ran out of power.... Absolutely love the survival so far!

9. GnatTheGnome Apprentice Engineer

well, I (and an ever-changing host of random folks) had a nice station started in the core of a hollow asteroid. Had reactor, grav gen, small cargo, assembler, and refinery going when all of a sudden, CRASH REPORT!

My only issue so far has been that people are unable to access the inventory pages for the station reactor, refinery, and command chair (I was the only one able to recharge my suit on the station, everyone else had to use the ship. Was a pain to keep both fuelled)

10. Igneous01 Apprentice Engineer

to be honest i kinda got bored of survival mode an hour in... it seems like you have to rush for 3x refinery 3x assembler to have a smooth economy going, but after you end up going back and forth building a ship/mining/powering your station. Looks like it would get pretty chaotic managing anything more than 3 ships/stations at a time. I feel like im practicing some macro heavy starcraft 2 build, which kind of puts me off the mode...

Also yes: refinery is really slow, assembler is also a little on the slow side (when its just singleplayer)

11. Stonewolf Junior Engineer

I started with the crashed red ship world. Decided to build a small medical base before I start exploring too much. Still working on that. Had few close calls. Also nice lesson on saving power: If flying in gravity field its not smart to save power by turning off jetpack, ouch :D I think I will modify the big red ship next, into small red shuttle and go search the asteroids for a perfect place for a mining station.

12. Vermillion Senior Engineer

I started an Asteroids Survival Map yesterday. Nine hours in, still working on just the exterior armor of a semi-small large ship to replace the yellow one.
    [​IMG]

13. GnatTheGnome Apprentice Engineer

In the crashed red ship scenario, how do you get started? I can find everything to make an assembler except the display screens, and without a refinery/assembler already, I dont see a way to make any. What am I missing?

14. Romulus017 Trainee Engineer

Parked my rescue ship inside and asteroid And am making upgrades to it while using its grav field to keep my ores from floating off into space :p

15. mastpayne Senior Engineer

Don't you get display screens from the cockpit?

16. Donut64 Trainee Engineer

I immediately proceeded to waste my time with chewing up the base starter platform, in the platform start, in order to construct a more properly run-down station...

17. Sungur Apprentice Engineer

well, i dont have time nor intentions to play this game in the survival mode. i am here to play space lego in creative mode. i cant imagine those huge ships being built in the survival mode.

otoh there are other very interesting games/MMO's instead of spending time in survival mode

but for the creative mode it is hugely fun this game...

18. nilloc93 Trainee Engineer

getting the joint production venture going, we have combined our starter ships together and made a factory ship which is churning out components for our mining shuttles then for our mining HQ.
    Then onto the creation of defense platforms for when we make the world public :p

19. GnatTheGnome Apprentice Engineer

OK, so, hopefully you can tear the cockpit down, build the assembler, and then build new screens to re-build the cockpit before running out of suit power? oof. sounds risky, but I'll give it a go.

20. Skeloton Master Engineer

Oh im continuing to mine the ore out of this asteroid that I landed my Mobile Mining Outpost in, upgrading my limpet miner with a large reactor more thrusters and a extra pair of drills

[​IMG]

21. Vermillion Senior Engineer

We need dedicated servers for proper multiplayer use. It's fairly unfeasible to attempt to make a large ship on a player-hosted map.

22. Valdemar |FIN| Junior Engineer

One of my major rants on this update is that once one has fuel situation taken care of, and they have a small mining ship ready to access every kind of ore, there isn't much left to do. Of course he could start working on a huge mining ship, which harvests resources for even huger mining ship etc. but that's about it. And on a more important note, he has no real reason to do that. He doesn't have to go on an arms race against raiding pirates, then build a bunker against them, then build a dreadnought to destroy their base, and then build a throne out of their skulls for himself. Which is the exactly what i would love to do.

Survival mode is still AWESOME, I couldn't have hoped for any better first update for it. Best birthday gift ever.

23. Darndello Trainee Engineer

Been gathering resources the past 10 hours. Survival is fun!

24. Ash87 Senior Engineer

Working with my team to figure out what we want to do.

We ran for 5 hours last night and got a really good process running for how to break down ships, by the end we could disassemble a yellow starter in like 10 minutes. I am betting tonight we'll start working on starter utility ship designs, that is what I've been trying to figure out in my down time at work today, and I have a few designs I am looking forward to trying out to see how they work.

25. tcezar Trainee Engineer

PERFECT review, after the fuel solution, the game it's over (of course you can build any thing you want)
    But seeing the side of difficulties, there is no obstacles to explore
    (like diseases, meteors, pirates etc.)

26. REDSHEILD Junior Engineer

This is what I've been doing:
    [​IMG]

27. Vermillion Senior Engineer

Built solo in 100% survival. Friends-only MP map "Voidspace".
    The Skif (Big ship)
    The Scrub (Mining Shuttle)
    [​IMG]

28. Stonewolf Junior Engineer

Well I died after 3 days of surviving. Darn afk death too :D Starting over with crashed red ship again, this time fixing/modifying it for personal cruiser.

Tips & tricks:

1. Make a small ship: landing gear, cockpit & power generator. Works for emergency suit charging and fuel storage.

2. Adjust gravity down so falling wont hurt.

3. Don't leave the computer unless paused :(

29. Tzarro Trainee Engineer

Assuming you have sufficient uranium fuel in your reactor, just remain seated in the cockpit of your ship. That'll maintain your suit energy so long as you have fuel, and if recharging your suit is all your ship is doing, it should last a good while....and BOOM! Semi-AFK death proof.

30. REDSHEILD Junior Engineer

And still working on my same ship:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's just about 537 tons now, inching ever so steadily towards completion. Most of the plating I made myself, but a good chunk of it, and just about all of the components, I stripped from the red ship. By now the only thing other than plates left on the red ship are lights, and they're not really worth the effort to grind down.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.