Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What you up to in survival?

Discussion in 'Survival' started by TKG92, Mar 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Mac D Junior Engineer

Initially I gave the crashed red ship start a go on 10x. It is a great concept for a game start.

I died before I could build a refinery to secure fuel supply, so I respect others like Stonewolf for giving it another few attempts. Things got much easier on respawn when that magic rescue arrived with a pre-made refinery, but I abandoned that game once a large-ship 1x1x1 container disappeared all my salvage.

The second go at survival I played at 1x speed on one of the easy starts (did not seem too slow working at 1x speed, although backpack volume is the main limitation for building so need to get better at carrying only the required parts).

Quickly built this basic mining craft (skipped all of the handtool mining using the easy start supplies). Getting better at parking it close to the refinery top to speed up the manual ore transfer (we really need working conveyers and a transfer hose).

[​IMG]

I found the ore detector range a bit limited and returning to that good asteroid I previously scouted to finding that critical ore deposit was a common problem.
    Built a deploy-able beacon for marking good mining sites on distant asteroids. A smaller/cheaper cockpit (like that space bike one that has been suggested) and a battery/fuel-cell would be better for these low cost structures in the future.
    [​IMG]

I agree with tcezar and Valdemar about the struggle to deal with the initial fuel crisis and then not much in the way of goals after that.

I am tempted to build a vault and fill it with gold and platinum ingots (to justify continuing mining).
    Still would like a simple NPC/trade/mission system. An automated NPC trade/caravan ship parks in the sector for a while before it leaves for Earth/Mars/Ceres/wherever and you can take some gold ingots out to it drop them in a special trade cargo container to initiate trade or complete a mission. At least it would give the impression we are part of a wider-solar-system economy supplying planets or other major population centers. More like a realistic frontier economy (import, export, long distance precious metal trade, and pirates).

Survival is overall good so far (Looks like mining lag is minimal now, Salvaging stuff with the grinder also works well). I miss symmetry mode and some semi-creative ghost blocks for designing ships when you don't yet have the parts would be handy.

2. McHendrik Apprentice Engineer

Quick note: I have discovered that sitting in a cockpit, even with the station completely powered down (reactor off), you still maintain 100% suit energy.

This can be handy if you want to leave the game running overnight to get caught up on refining (which I just did). Keep a kilo of uranium in a storage container so you can start up again if everything is dry by morning.

Actually... keep a unit of uranium in a storage container at all times... or presto-magico you just lost your whole world when you accidentally run out. You can't refine more without power.

Right now I'm going to create a new nexus of containers and refineries on my station with all their doors connected, ideally with a central platform where I can reach all the doors as well. Currently you can't drag-drop between connected devices, so I spend most of my time moving stuff through my backpack. I want to be able to move to/from anything without having to walk/jet... only turn. I REALLY want to be able to drag-drop between containers soon.

Also: Getting rid of stone is tedious as hell. Bad enough to drag-drop four grinders (60kL) through a 400L backpack, but when you have to drop the 40kL of it that is stone in 400L boulders... Grrr....

I will also rebuild my ships to fit into custom docking slots in that nexus for the same reason. Getting ore out of grinders is taking too long.

After that, I dunno. I'll probably wait for a patch that contains some more content and then play again with that.

3. Guardian Trainee Engineer

I started with the Crashed Red ship, and cut off one of the engine nacelles/pods to convert it into my own personal escape / survival ship.

4. Stonewolf Junior Engineer

My AFK deaths were more of the type of someone started to talk to me and I forgot I was in the game, till it was too late :D Cockpit is a good place, if you need to go AFK tho.

Lately I've been learning to survive in the meteor storm. Starting with the little yellow ship, finding a location and building a small base. Figured this was a good way to learn basic base building. Which I still lack a lot. Never did much base building when we only had creative.

5. Vermillion Senior Engineer

Busy searching for bugs with the newest update. So new, much win, many bugs.

6. aboredteen1 Junior Engineer

you lucky son/daughter of your mother

7. nilloc93 Trainee Engineer

Working on the Solar/com array and the hangers of Freeport 47

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I will admit I was blessed with this asteroid (see second pic) which has a uranium core, I have over 900 uranium ingots stockpiled (and the gatling turrets to defend them so piss off)

8. Ash87 Senior Engineer

Right now I am 3 others are working on building a massive shipyard. Our station already sits on a rich asteroid, but what we want to do is get our station developed to be a shipyard and dock. We have a long way to go on the bay (Which is truly massive) especially since once the proper bay is finished, we need control towers, support structures, and a slew of other things that haven't even been placed yet. As of now I'm still trying to get the floor of the bay finished, it's going to be 2 deep of heavy armor blocks. I'm on layer 1, and I've been working on it for probably 6 hours.

9. Aurenian Apprentice Engineer

I'm currently working on a mobile space station. The idea is I'll just copy-paste it between saves as the game updates.

So far I've got the basic frame of the main hanger done along with 6 thrusters and a gyro to keep it stable. The primary control tower is about half done, then I'll move on to other sections.

I'm waiting for conveyors to be implemented before I work on the industrial sections.

10. nilloc93 Trainee Engineer

that's a pretty cool idea Aurenian.

Is the station made of big ship blocks or station? does it have to be moved via copy-past or could it theoretically move on its own?

11. Aurenian Apprentice Engineer

It is built as a large ship that looks like a station. I'll copy-paste it between saves as the game updates, but within a world it will be able to move itself around.

The thrust to weight ratio will be pretty crap, but it'll get where it needs to go.

Currently I've got it parked in a map with minimum asteroids to keep loading times down, and to test how long it takes to actually exhaust the resources of a small map.

12. minionsoldier Trainee Engineer

I basically building cheap on material mining ships with the ability to connect to a larger carrier/refinery ship. I'm just waiting for conveyors before I put it in a survival map.

13. xwhitemousex Apprentice Engineer

Its still alpha so of course game isnt fleshed out and feels somewhat barebones.

I am hoping for:

Additional sectors to explore.

Implementation of rare resources, eg water, noble gases etc for use in upgrading tools, building improved refineries and more.

More dangers added to heighten focus on survival.
    Meteor showers is good start (just make them able to come from any direction not just from sun, also give us limited defense capabilities and/or detection and warning systems).
    Other dangers could include;
    systems that might malfunction, eg thruster explodes or stops working, reactor overload, etc.
    Explosive gases inside asteroids which might cause blowout during mining.
    Expand on current cargo ships to have defenses.
    Add AI and combat ships to act as pirates defending ships, bases or asteroids with rare resources or gases.

For survival to really be survival there needs to be an everpresent sense of danger. You should never be 100% safe. Without the dangers and risks, whether they are environmental, AI or PVP, the survival mode ends up being a packrat mode where you stockpile resources and wonder what to do with them and what to build next.

As some rightly pointed out, once you got Uranium you effectively 'won' the current Survival mode since there is no risk besides our own clumsiness (eg forgot energy, jumped out of a ship at 104m/s with dampers off and got slingshot into a rock etc). There is a sense of satisfaction in building things since they take time and resources to complete, but that isnt really about survival at all.

Again, game is in alpha and there is lots left to do.

But for survival to truly be survival we need more features in the game that constantly threaten our situation and our creations.

14. dragonslife Apprentice Engineer

I hijacked a Mining Hauler and changed/adapted it to my own liking. I have adapted the hangar bay on it to have an hangar door that can open an close (with a rotor) move the refineries and added assemblers, added a medbay and made the cockpit out of glass. Now I'm slowly working to get every block on the ship replaced with heavy armor.

I have build a small mining ship and a fast-exploring ship to support my Mining Hauler.

Once that is done I will search for an asteroid where I can build a nice space base on. From there I will gather enough resources to build an even bigger ship, about 5 times the size of my Mining Hauler.

Edit: I'm still looking for nice co-operative players to assist me in my plan :)

15. Skeloton Master Engineer

Building a gunship then im going to fill a refinery and 2 assemblers with ores :)
    [​IMG]

16. Grim Apprentice Engineer

Finishing up my blockade runner.

17. Ash87 Senior Engineer

I am currently (And have been for 12+ hours) working on my servers first dedicated large ship warship. It's a 0.6 Mkg patrol ship, in my Duck series of ships. The name duck is because the Duck series came about because of an open top mining assist ship I called the Jon Boat. When I upgraded the Jon boat to have have a roof, I named it a Duck boat, after DUWK boats. The duck series has gone from a personal transport, to being scaled up to create Duck Mk II, which is what I am working on: A ship that can be a transport, a patrol warship, or a cargo vessel, with some minor modifications to it's interior. It is designed to hold a few large ship guns, with the possibility of also containing 2 or more turrets (Manned or unmanned)

18. TheBlackPumpkin Trainee Engineer

Currently im making a large carrier in survival, the final weight is around 15mkg. Ill try and figure out how to post some screens, if not ill just post links to steam

19. Maul555 Apprentice Engineer

20. Uhm Apprentice Engineer

surviving

21. Spanners Trainee Engineer

It's ugly, and weighs over 3,000,000kg but it's home :p

[​IMG]

22. tango Trainee Engineer

So a friend and I have been working on a ... slightly... larger refinery / mining support vessel.

I present: The Typhoon class...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At this point I am kind of scared of adding the fist cockpit. So far we have 3 small hangars, 10 refinerys, 2 large reactos and roughly 50 small thrusters. Still to come are 16 large cargo containers, main engines etc. Currently she comes in at 150m in length... weight unknown :)

Cheers,
    Tango

23. Spanners Trainee Engineer

24. muffins Trainee Engineer

Started a new survival game (red ship crash start). Converted a Civil Sail into a factory ship with ore detector, conductor system, spotlights, beacon, gravity generator, refinery and assembler.

[​IMG]

25. muffins Trainee Engineer

I built a miner with 26 drill bits. This being my first survival game I didn't realise that the build would take 14 hours. I even ran out of iron very early in the build and had to use the miner when it was only 15% complete.

I ended up building a wielding ship to speed things along.

[​IMG]

Had to use it in this condition. It just had a frame for the drills, a cockpit, ducting/storage, scaffolding and temporary scaffolding thrusters lol

[​IMG]

26. piddlefoot Senior Engineer

Just hiding from ubers, noobs, and griefers usually.....

27. Nip Trainee Engineer

I'm at work and don't have any screenshots, but I spent a good chunk of the day yesterday making a massive solar array. I'm up to about 500kw but need to get to 1mw to sustain my gravity gen and refinery. I'd like to have my primary station operational on solar without having to keep turning systems off to spare my uranium.

28. spacedMatt Apprentice Engineer

I tried this it takes ages and you will need so many it will probably lag your game, I suggest having your refinery on a different power source.

29. Nip Trainee Engineer

It's not too bad. I built a really effective welding ship and I just leave the welder on. If you put the welder right in the center of 4 solar plates and leave it on, you can leave the ship and do other things (like mining mass quantities of silicon for solar plates) while it's welding. I have about 120 solar plates already, I'll need about 250 total.

30. muffins Trainee Engineer

I built a fighter for attacking NPC ships. During the build I managed to accidentally cut the thing in two. I had run out of magnesium so couldn't arm the fighter after it was finished, so spent the rest of the day mining with my new miner.

I'm calling it "Mavis"

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.