Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

What you up to in survival?

Discussion in 'Survival' started by TKG92, Mar 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. ablebaker Trainee Engineer

I like to capture and grind down the AI ships. Here is my fleet for that purpose - from left to right: capture ship has gravity stone thrower, rockets, and 6 forward thrusters. Grinder ship has 9 grinders. Mining ship has 4 drills - I need a lot of stone for the capture ship. Utility ship with one welder and cargo box.

[​IMG]

2. Ash87 Senior Engineer

I just finished the proof of concept of a cargo hauler I designed. Going to make a mock up of it tonight.

Basically it's going to be a multi-purpose hauler, the thing that makes it special, is that it's cargo isn't internal, it's going to be mostly landing gears and have detachable cargo containers that can be dropped at a site and filled. That way, if someone wants to fill one of the containers, they just request a container and then it can be picked up and moved. The containers will be designed to be interlocking for large loads and ease of storage, with each container equaling a single station large cargo container in terms of storage capacity.

3. Nip Trainee Engineer

I'm converting a captured military transport into a massive mining ship. I originally started the large mining ship project to be a single armed long bore ship that would just cut straight through but after I successfully captured an intact military transport, my plans have changed... I'm not finished yet with the 2nd arm and the 1st arm will need to be modified for more drills, but eventually, the two arms will connect straight across. I have a large container in each arm for the drills portion on top and I will have a ton of ejectors that will eject all the drill ore and drop it into the large ship collectors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. merak Apprentice Engineer

5. Pumpernikkeli Trainee Engineer

Finished up my first large ship, weld/grind boats helped a ton (retrofitted that double grinder to welder/grinder layout for quick fixing tasks). Still ended up using something like 200k+ worth of iron ore.
    It's ugly and very slow, but should work for intended purposes. Equipped with survival basics. Refinery, assembler, medbay, tons of storage and small hangar bay. All I need when sailing up to a roid and tearing it down.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next up is re-making my station, since now it's getting a bit too small.
    [​IMG]

I'll have to figure out good ship design for salvaging NPC boats to save some mining time tho... and expand my grinder array while I'm at it

edit: Oh, and should finally do something about that business shipment 1,6mil km away

6. Shortsonfire79 Trainee Engineer

Well I was in the process of grinding down a couple of Haulers and a Mil Transport from the Asteroids scenario... or at least just finished my grinder and then I got this lovely message. This is what I had, though. Not much. Along with the pics from my starter base.

[​IMG]

I started another save with the Asteroids scenario but couldn't really get back into it, just didn't really like the shapes or sizes of the rocks. So I'm thinking of starting with the Easy Start 2 base and blowing it up, then starting from scratch. :D

7. ManofWar Trainee Engineer

Make the easy start scenario with Armageddon lvl asteroids. The easy start station is going to be totaled in a few minutes, you have to really work on it to salvage enough parts from it before it is all gone.

8. gazeebo Apprentice Engineer

I play Lone Survivor on 3-1-1 and I just finished my miner ship and beacon ship (Attached to the platform with solar panels so my beacon never turns off again!)
    Just loaded up my 3 refineries with about 100k of ores and I'm getting ready to build my first large ship ever. No idea where to begin, but I guess that's the beauty of the game eh?
    I really want to get a large ship going that can carry my small ships and is able to function as a mobile platform.

9. joebopie Apprentice Engineer

10. muffins Trainee Engineer

Built a double-ended ship that eats other ships with one end, and craps ships out the other.

[​IMG]

I'm also currently upgrading my converted Civil Sail.

[​IMG]

11. muffins Trainee Engineer

Added a second refinery and assembler, a medical room and a couple of observation passages to my converted Civil Sail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's quite roomy now. Walkways are a great spacesaver.

[​IMG]

12. Shortsonfire79 Trainee Engineer

So I started my new map using the one that pits two platforms against each other and used the SEToolbox to add another 42 large asteroids. :D So I started by deconstructing one of the platforms whilst simultaneously building this grinder, which I later turned into a welder.

[​IMG]
    Using that I started making a grinder platform which didn't really end up working out like I had wanted it to. http://i.imgur.com/pUXp2V0.png I tried putting a gravity generator below it and an artificial mass generator on the end of the ship and just letting the platform munch away, but it would cause the ship to fall over on itself and was much of a hassle. So using the craft above, I turned it back into a grinder and ground down the platform and then built a large grinder to help get the big ships down.
    [​IMG]

I have a lot of grinder work ahead of me. :eek:ops:

13. Wizlawz Master Engineer

well.... i found a roid to start for the uranium. then i found another roid in which i did not have to try and mine out....it has a big open space with a few exits / entrances.

i still have the rescue ship..planning on turning it into a proper refinery / manufacture / landing pad ship (gonna grind it down and rebuild it but keep the base / bottom structure)

captured a couple of non violent ships...using them for Solar power for now ( i turned off the meteors temporary) well i got em set up to use for solar power...haven't connected anything yet...still have to grind it ALL down and rebuild......meh i am thinking it may just be easier to build a fighter ship and become a pirate coz i just do not have the patience for dismantling just to rebuild.

so if anyone wants a pirate in their midst to liven things up just let me know ...it may just be my new profession.

14. JDCollie Trainee Engineer

Just finished building the last of a series of utility ships for my server. We are online together often enough now that one welder ship wasn't cutting it anymore, so I've built one for each player. (I'm not altruistic, I'm just tired of having my welder ship stolen out from under me every time I get out of the darn thing.)

Here's a couple of the ships. The orange and black ones belong to me.
    [​IMG]

After looking at the other ships on this forum, I have realized I am a very minimalist builder . . .

15. soridian Trainee Engineer

I'm building my base which i'm calling my Space Chapel...

[​IMG]

It's a WIP still, and no i didnt carve that cross in there, its what inspired the location of the build though :p.
    It currently has 2 refineries and 3 assemblies which is working well for me so far, it has an underground section but thats not finished at all.

Also, cause i quite like it here's my mining ship i built along with it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Designed it so i can land/take off without any damage to the blocks underneath by having the thruster on the top layer of those wings pointing down:
    [​IMG]
    (example only pic, moved the ejectors off the bottom)

It can mine straight through asteroids, but the cockpit/med container is uncovered so slightest bump and it goes bust, i could fix that easily...but i like it how it is and i surface mine anyway :p.

16. Xellon Trainee Engineer

So what am I up to? Well, there's plenty of work left to do:

[​IMG]
    Here you can see my Station from the Outside, it's partially built inside an Asteroid as you can see. In the Background, you can find some leftover ships from earlier days, when turrets were still un-functional, which will be disassembeled soon. Above the Asteroid you can see a captured military Minelayer, which will be converted into a "Capturing Ship" by completely redesigning the interior and the exterior hull as well as improving handling & acceleration. Therefore, the construction bay must be finished first, which requires the bay's structure to be completed (I want it to look more or less like a ribcage with the Ship inside, using the grey metal beam beneath the ship as the "spine") as well as the storage building left of it to be connected to the main conveyor network. The yellow Ship in the Foreground is a modified rescue ship which acts as a gravitational hopper to collect pebbels from the mining ship. It's docked at the main Hangar which contains two Refineries, two Assemblers and a Maintenance/Construction Bay for Small Ships. (You can't see the Door from this angle)
    Surely you've noticed the hangar door at the Bottom, which leads inside the Asteroid, into a large cavern, which is used as small ship storage.

[​IMG]
    We are inside the asteroid now, with a view on the first deck of the "Small Ship Parking Dock", which contains three of my four small ships I have built so far (there were actually more, but those are the ones who... well, survived). The big yellow one is a Transporter with 4 large containers and a conveyor system, allowing it to load and unload big quantities of allkinds of cargo swiftly. Though not very maneuverable, it's two large forward thrusters allow it to quickly accelerate to top speed and reach even far away regions of the asteroid field quickly. The green one next to it is my current mining ship. It supports only one drill, but it was the first one i've built, so low cost and durability were my two main goals with it. It has two beams of heavy armour on top, to protect it's two small reactors from getting crashed while still allowing quick refueling from the top. Thanks to this, it's completely save to drill deep inside an asteroid without having to fear to smash your own power source. Last in line is an old fighter, which is farly out-of-date and will be scrapped soon.

[​IMG]
    And here we have the second deck of the "Parking Dock", only containing my fourth Ship atm, which is my (De-)Construction Ship. It's more tall than broad, making it kind of akward to fly, but that's intended. I kept the front Part as thin as possible, so it can reach deeper inside sturctures to weld or grind something there. All the thrusters were placed at the back half of the ship, to prevent it causing thrust damage to structures while working inside them. At it's backside, it also sports a small container, which isn't connected to the conveyors and holds the material you need to convert the welder into a grinder and vice versa, so you can exchange the ship's tool "on the fly" (more or less).

17. Polenicus Apprentice Engineer

Currently profiting from acts of piracy

[​IMG]

This is the H.M.C.S. Hyperion. She's an amalgamated ship, made from 4 mining haulers, 2 mining transports, 1 military minelayer, and 1 military transporter. Everything is conveyored and connected together, and being an amalgamated ship gives her the advantage of being extremely decentralized and redundant. 1 huge flight bay for all my auxiliary craft, and a smaller fore bay for whatever hot-rodded fighter I cook up. Unfortunately, both landing gear and rotors are too unstable on our server for bay door to be practical, and auxiliary craft currently violently self destruct when parked even in a motionless ship. But, someday...

Next project is to repaint everything in a cohesive color scheme, and to start to add in heavy armor in strategic places (Exposed cargo pods = bad)

Edit: Here is a better shot, after some painting. Not sure if I'm going to stick with the yellow.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.