Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Whatever happened to that ice-powered "reactor"?

Discussion in 'General' started by Netherspark, Jul 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Netherspark Trainee Engineer

I remember some time ago Keen teased a new power generation block that used ice as fuel, but it never materialized in the game.

Is it still on the table or did it get scrapped?

2. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I think they are still working on it.

3. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

heh

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Malware Master Engineer

Everything not-multiplayer got postponed when they decided to change the way they work to be more totally focused.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Netherspark Trainee Engineer

When was the last we heard about it, wasn't it a year ago now?

6. Malware Master Engineer

@Netherspark Last Marek stream. Or Captain Jack's interview... I forget which.

7. Thrak Junior Engineer

Makes sense it would be shifted to a major survival upgrade.

8. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

Maybe it's finished and their waiting for patent-approval.

9. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

Indeed. The phrase I heard used recently was gameplay upgrade so hopefully not just survival upgrades. Alternate power systems would be a good addition, hell if they want ideas they only have to take a look at the popular mods such as PVE corruption, Reavers, command consoles etc etc to see what would be a welcome addition/change. Even filling in some of the gaps in the available base armour blocks would be a welcome addition instead of having to use mods to do it.

10. Spets Master Engineer

it was teased too Soon™
    but confirmed it is coming... Soon™

11. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

I was hoping it was finished, period.

12. Malware Master Engineer

It's a hydrogen engine, btw.

13. Harlequin Otterdog Trainee Engineer

I remember them teasing wind power along side the hydrogen/ice generators. Be quite happy to have ether as it gives more choices, but those models for the hydrogen/ice generators were pretty damn nice.

14. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

The wind turbine was a nice model and a realistic feasible way one would get power on a planet in a survival situation. Therefore we will never see it as a stock item and the technically challenged ice burning generator that looks like a hot rod engine will be the powerplant we will get. Keen wouldn't have it any other way.

15. Bullet_Force Apprentice Engineer

Well technically its a lot easier to replicate something you already have (the current reactors) and just change the resource requirements and throw in a slightly different model and presto finished then try and add new thing where you have to calculate wind on planets. If Keen really wanted to they could add in 10 more "new" reactors based off the current one without much effort, there are plenty of pre-made models people have made that you can buy of internet market places for prices as low as $5-10.

16. Malware Master Engineer

They don't need to do anything as complicated like calculating wind. Some simple rules will suffice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Actually, the current wind turbine mod produces power based on atmospheric density i.e. the higher you place it, the less energy it produces. Placing additional windmills too closely will diminish the output of all of them. It's essentially a free power block. Unbalanced? Maybe. You can't put the block on a vehicle so I call it fair. There is a geothermal power plant block mod also. Same thing. once it's built it provides power. Neither one works in space

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.