Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version [Extra] --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.
  3. Apologies for enabling the dark skin as the forum default. This was unintentional and the light theme that we've been using for the last couple of years will remain the default.

For anyone who hasn't noticed:
    We've enabled a dark skin on the forums called Keen Software House - Dark. It's not perfect but it gets the job done for anyone who doesn't enjoy white backgrounds. Go to your preferences page https://forum.keenswh.com/account/preferences or click the skin name at the bottom left of any forum page to switch

Wheeled Vehicles Jerk Hard Right or Left (Dev 1.72 Win 7)

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by elkdragon23 2, Feb 8, 2017.

1. elkdragon23 2

I've noticed two vehicles I've built in this latest build of space engineers. Will right heavily to the right or left for no apparent reason and it will keep up this jerking motion left or right. Which can cause you to flip when you go at much higher speeds. For example I'll be on flat ground, and I will not hit any keys to turn right or left just going straight and my vehicle will jerk right or left on it's own. So high speeds are very dangerous because of the friction on your tires the sudden jerk left or right will flip you. Before any of you ask I have checked the power on all of my wheels to makes sure they were all even, and even taken some vehicles from the workshop as well to see if this was just purely a building error.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Forcedminer

Yes I've been experiencing that as well.
    at first i thought it was just wheel friction so i set it really low but then i was unable to turn effectively.

My solution was to build a gyroscope and just lock its override so the ship can't turn.

I've heard many players saying gyroscopic turning is best for high speeds...
    wheel turning is best for low speed turns.

a friction too high will make the ship nearly topple over with each turn.
    a power too high will make the ship violently bounce around.

I find having 10% power and friction to be the most useful.

I would like acceleration and power as a different setting but...chances are thats a no.

3. elkdragon23 2

Alright I'll give that a try, but I can deffinally say this a bug for sure. Because a couple of builds ago this was never an issue for me. On top of that the wheel suspension seems locked to it's lowest setting after you reload.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Forcedminer

yeah a remember a few updates bad wheels were pretty badass.
    then an update came along and then an issue with ships sinking into the ground happened. see the video.

that put me off wheels for sometime
    the fancy new block update came along and fixed it.....
    but now wheels take a long time to slowdown while breaking and as you're experiencing violently jerk left and right.

as i said give 10% power and friction a try with a gyroscope for high speed turning.

5. kittle

ive seen the same behavior. The problem seems to be much worse on small grid vehicles vs large grid ones.
    my smallgrid vehicles bounced a lot, and pulled to 1 side. the large grid ones didnt bounce, but still pulled to one side.

Messing with the friction and power -- if its too low, then my vehicle wont even move. 40-50% seems to be the min. If friction is too low then it wont climb even very gentle hills. 40-50% also seems to be the min for just basic functionality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Forcedminer

whenever i can't get up a hill i up the power a small amount until i get over it.
    small amounts rather than road rage 100% :p

7. elkdragon23 2

That seems to be the magic numbers for my settings to. Otherwise everything ends in a catastrophe. The Gyroscopes help a bit, but I still experience a lot of pulling it isn't as bad, but it makes piloting the vehicle very interesting. But, it makes somewhat manageable. Still this needs to be fixed using gyroscopes isn't something I had ever needed in the past to make a ground vehicle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Forcedminer

I'd still consider it something useful to have.

what do you do if you get some air time and are going to land badly but due to that gyroscope you were able to self right?
    [and still the ship shatters like glass into sand voxel.]

9. elkdragon23 2

That's true I've used on some of my vehicles when I've wanted to go really fast, and do jumps like I do on the motorcycle. But, usually I am not going fast enough to jump is where it kinda gets me. I feel it's to risky to do jumps in my early game survival, but I do add gyros in my mid to late game survival.

10. kittle

I get mixed results with gyroscopes. For fine maneuvering - aka 'parking', its a crapshoot, sometimes i can rotate the vehicle in place, other times nothing happens, and still other times, the gyroscope's rotation snaps back.
    For steering while actually driving, its actually worse. If I try to steer with the WASD keys it only uses the wheels to turn which works once in a while. instead I have to use the mouse to steer in order to get the gyroscope rotate to happen, but that also seems to snap back at random times. which causes the jerk left/right issues

11. elkdragon23 2

I've seemed to have some luck with the directional keys.

12. NikolasMarch

unfortunate bug, though it shows they are trying to make wheels work better with voxels as i think they were originally designed with driving on grids in mind, as they do perform a lot better and the friction setting works a lot better when the wheeled vehicles are driven on a grid

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Forcedminer

Agree'd I have yet to build like a small wheeled drone that i can remote control and drive around my base. like a wall-e unit or something...or an r2d2 astromech droid. :p
    could give it cliffs tiny assembler and a small payload of iron so it can create parts which can then feed into a tiny wielder...also another mod.

like role-play a repair droid on a damaged station...good campaign idea.

but yeah speaking of wheels on grids i do remember a pretty sweet mod that added like race track sections an engineer could build a track or even a simple road.
    sadly it appears purple now...still works as expected.
    wheeled ships do feel much better on those.

edit:
    also i do believe i've heard somewhere if you set the voxel quality higher or lower thats ment to have some effect....
    part of me strongly believes setting it lower would help because it would reduce cpu usage allowing it to focus on a mobile wheeled ship or that dead useless piece of junk ship floating though space eating the sim speed.

14. NikolasMarch

i think voxel quality is just visual, though am not 100% sure...
    changing the PhysicsIterations either up or down might affect wheels in some way, lower = less cpu used but less accurate physics, up = more cpu used but more accurate physics

15. Lawd_Potato

Just thought I'd throw in that I'm also experience this jerking and pulling to one side on small-grid rovers. This is a bug, and is one that wasn't present before current patch. I'm playing on "stable".

Haven't tried large grid as yet, but small grid rovers are unplayable as they're too unpredictable and wreck a lot.
    --- Automerge ---
    Large grid rovers also affected for me.

16. dave_pilot

Have the same issue...can't drive properly, cause it jerks left and right... So wheels are broken atm for me...

It wasn't like this some updates ago...

17. Forcedminer

wheels were great..then they sunk into the ground and exploded[bug fixed] now they're fancy and break slow down really slow.
    the jerking left and right doesn't bother me as much.

try doing this:
    set friction and power to 10% and add a gyroscope.
    set the damping and strength to 50%
    set the wheel height ***"SLOWLY"*** for the love of god if you snap that thing to 20% or 80% depending on your wheel settings
    your rover will Rocket into the sky from the violent wheel movement that SE has yet to do something about.
    set susppension travel about 80%-75%
    whenever you want to drive straight set the gyroscope to override controls so you can't rotate while thats ON.

use the wheel turning for small low speed turns and use the gyroscope for high speed turns.

if the friction is set too high the vechicle is violently jerk,bounce and many even topple over.

if you ride on a grid the friction is much better....but what survival master has the time and steel plating to build a fancy road for a rover?

18. Lawd_Potato

While there are workarounds that allow you to manage the issue (and thanks for the above tip), it doesn't negate the bug's existence.

Judging by what i read in the update forum, you still can't drive in a straight line.

19. Forcedminer

I'd prefer jerky wheels to this fixed bug every day of the month. O.o

I'm not saying we should put up with it.....but.....a bit of wheel shakiness is better than no ship at all

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Lawd_Potato

Lol, yeah, that clip sucks. Honestly, still just as unusable: Instead of drifting through the ground, now it's a random jerk to the left or right and you flip into a murderous roll. I'm on dev now and it's still messed up.

21. Forcedminer

have you tried setting wheel friction to around 10%?
    and add a gyroscope for high speed/mid-air control?
    you can also set it to override controls if you need to go in a straight line.

this and the long breaking distance is the only two things wrong with wheels right now and to be honest i kinda prefer these to my video. :p

wheels also seem insanely tough now...I got some serious air time on mars.....landed like a cat wheels first but the wheels just sunk into the ground..didn't explode but it was stuck in the voxel.

22. Lawd_Potato

Yeah, they become somewhat manageable, but like you said, braking time is very poor especially with 10% friction. I'll stick to the air until they're sorted :tu:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Forcedminer

flying though the air is the best way of avoiding wheels issues. :p
    but it does drain quite alot of power.

Like i was quite amazed that a single small ship solar panel can run a 4 wheeled rover.
    both forms of transport have their advantages.
    hopefully wheels will someday have a better advantage other than being a ground mode of transport and being extremely power cheap. :)

• Like Like x 1
  24. Lawd_Potato

This! This is exactly why I want my rovers fixed ;)

:carlton: cannot wait to put my primary base-of-ops on wheels.