Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Where is magnesium most abundant?

Discussion in 'Survival' started by maliqua, Jan 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. maliqua Apprentice Engineer

I find it very sparse on asteroids what's the supply like on moons and planets i havent been able to find any yet but they are vast so i assume they have some somewhere..

since the planets are all hand crafted are there any regions anyone in particular has found a good supply in?

2. Devon_v Senior Engineer

Resource distribution is procedural, so there's no fixed lode. Your best bet is in an asteroid because the volume should be much greater if you find any.

Resources in general are very random. Aside from iron and ice which are everywhere, the others only have a chance of spawning per asteroid/lode. On asteroids the area chosen for the resource also needs to overlap a solid chunk of the asteroid but if you keep scouting you should eventually find a 100-300k lode of any given resource.

3. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

Magnesium is relatively abundant in space. Or at least, if you check enough roids you'll find some surface deposits that are accessible and that should keep your guns full for a long time.

4. CreepyOwlGuy Trainee Engineer

I know that they're procedurally placed but I seemingly always find it in the mountains . Might be because the darker spots are easier to see on the snow.

In space just look for a load of veiny blue stuff.

5. ThatDutchIdiot Trainee Engineer

On planets, I find it everywhere. You got this little black patches that indicate ores on planets and litterally half the areas I scout contain Cobalt & Nickel & Magnesium. I'm in the desert / savanne area on the Earth planet. Not sure if that has any influence

6. Ame Trainee Engineer

I'm in the same area, but most of the ore deposits seem to be Magnesium, Sillicon, and Uranium for me.

7. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

If practical try driving around a large grid ore detector. Some areas have one ore (say iron) 30m deep them another 80m deep in the same area.

8. jandraelune Apprentice Engineer

I'm in a roid field and I find it VERY annoying that the amount of Mag to be found is VERY rare. Like 1 out of 15 roids checked have any at all. With the increased amount of things to shoot at now with Cargo Ships and moving SPRT working again. The amount of ammo that gets melted out your guns.

9. Veritas Apprentice Engineer

I tend to find it in large quantities in mountain regions on Earth like planets, as well as decent amounts in the equatorial savannah.

10. Bahroth Apprentice Engineer

Nicest thing about Mg on planets is that its part of the tier that is closest to the surface.

Ice lakes are by far the easiest to mine but make sure you either set up a good base there or have a reliable way to get up/out of the lake area.
    Also rocks are amazing, though not reliable the abundance of them makes up for it to a point.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Concetta Parsons Trainee Engineer

Magnesium is present in Earth and found in large deposits of magnesite and in mineral water.

12. Sirhan Blixt Apprentice Engineer

And in "Milk of Magnesia." For some reason.

13. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

It does seem to be somewhat rare in roids, plus the ratio and refining time. I found 2 roids with mg, and one became a base.
    But it is somewhat plentiful on earth. I wonder if that applies to all planets? If so, I might end up with bases whose primary purpose is mg refining and blasting it into space.

14. ViroMan Senior Engineer

That is the reason i switched to using laser weaponry and gravel to ingots mods.

15. MegaMiner Junior Engineer

In space, build a fast small ship as an ore scout. It makes scouting out ore deposits less of a pain, and small ships are very cheap, making them much better in the early game. I find a lot of magnesium, and not much cobalt or uranium. So its mostly the RNG and the area yous spawn in.

16. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

If you don't mind a bit of piracy then consider grabbing the Mining Carriage. It sometimes has around 3-5k of mg ore.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.