Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

White screen

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Dumdoldoor, Nov 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Dumdoldoor Trainee Engineer

No matter what i do or where i spawn, my screen is plane white except for some distant very dull greyish white trees. The blocks i place are there but are plane white and not very visible. Anyone know how to fix this

2. effe Apprentice Engineer

I got a sort of same bug since the last nvidia driver update (last week). i fixed it changing back the video adapter back to intel graphics into the game "display" option AND going into the nvidia panel creating a special profile for ME forcing Nvidia to let the game use his own parameters. The bug still appears if you don't force the game to take the control of the display on top of Nvidia parameters. Performances suck more this way but it's "playable". Now i am waiting for the next nvidia update hoping they ll fix that. To me it looks like a sort of "forced ambiantal oclusion" or something. Hope this helps.

3. Crunchynut Trainee Engineer

I too have the white screen issue.

I have found a rather strange oddity to it in the graphics setting in-game. While in a custom game or a quick start game (after loading into the actual field with houses etc), if I go into the Graphics options and switch the graphics quility presets to anything else except "custom" the background, where the textures are loaded and trees and buildings are, turn from the blinding white screen problem as described to its normal game self as if the problem never existed at all. However, once I exit from the graphics quality screen back into the game it adjusts back into the blinding white screen.

4. effe Apprentice Engineer

Do you guys run nvidia graphic board?

I run nvidia Gforce experience version : 2.5.15.54
    Graphic board Gforce GT 635M
    Pilote or driver version : 358.50

I am positive that the bug of the white screen (at least the one i got) came to me after an update of the Gforce experience software and Graphic Drivers. Now i can only run the game using Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 when i am in the game and need as well to disable the auto selection of the graphic drivers in the Nvidia control panel for ME (else the Gforce nvidia driver takes over the control and reproduice the white screen problem). Any other option makes the white screen reappear and when in the game if i go to custom and choose again my Gforce as video drivers, then the screen turns rapidely into white as if a sort of bad parameters was applied by Nvidia at the ambiantal occlusion. As they have just released a new driver, i hope this will fix the issue.

5. Crunchynut Trainee Engineer

GPU: nVidia GT540M (Laptop) with onboard Intel HD 3000

Intel gpu is disabled with everything run on the nVidia. I actually never had an issue with medieval engineers until I swapped my system. Went from Win 7 to Win 10. But this might not be the issue as other windows systems are having it. I did have to update my driver to as a result of the upgrade. The new drivers could have been the issue.

I just updated to 358.87 (newest Nov 4/2015). Still no luck. I didn't install GeForce Experience because I hate bloatware. Something must be really whacky with the gamma corection or ambient occlusion but heck if I know. So far, switching gfx setting from anything to anything else but custom seems to be a quick fix momentarily until the update que kicks in after exiting the graphics options menu and turning the whole game into a white screen nightmare.

Illustration:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  6. Crunchynut Trainee Engineer

I've found a solution for the problem. It appears to be related the latest nVidia 358.xx drivers. I've downgraded to the September 2015 driver (3rd newest from time of writing this) 355.98. It has fixed the problem for me. Hope everyone has some success with this.

nVidia WHQL drivers:
    November 4, 2015 - 358.87 (WHITE SCREEN)
    October 7, 2015 - 358.50 (WHITE SCREEN)
    September 22, 2015 - 355.98 (WORKING!!) <------

[​IMG]

No more white screen!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. effe Apprentice Engineer

Thanks for the solution. I am going to try that. I confirm the bug isn't fixed by installing 358.87. I have just installed it as well, doesn't fix the problem at all. I guess i am going to try to downgrade. Might take advantage of it to kick out GeForce Experience

"I didn't install GeForce Experience because I hate bloatware" Same here, i somehow got to install this thing in an update together with a new driver but it has been of no use so far.

8. effe Apprentice Engineer

OK confirming that the Crunchynut's way to fix white screen rocks :)

Downgrade your Nvidia driver to 355.98 works perfectly. It looks it also fixed an issue i was having at @Jugbot super mod "mo'voxel 15+) and now the water is perfectly blue. :)

Now i am going to think twice before upgrading my graphic board drivers. :p

9. rsharp6957 Trainee Engineer

Why should i be forced to down grade my drivers, then not be able to play my other games that require the higher driver? I have an idea, fix the issue, that works better.

10. effe Apprentice Engineer

By the time the issue will be fixed, if you don't like to downgrade, and still want to play to the game, you can go for option B : Meaning create a special profile for ME into your Nvidia control panel, specifying that you like the game to use his own graphical options rather than to let Nvidia handle them. Then once in the game go to display and choose intel graphic as your video drivers rather than your Nivdia driver. It's a work around that allows you to play without having to downgrade.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  11. Jugbot Apprentice Engineer

Glad you can enjoy water now ;D

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ysellian_Knight Trainee Engineer

Just Wanted to say that crunchynut's suggestion of downgrading the Nvidia driver to : September 22, 2015 - 355.98 also worked for me (thanks crunchynut) after rebuilding a computer for my son, his specs are Core i5 750, GTX560ti & 8g ram, win 7 pro.

13. fidgetwidget Trainee Engineer

Have the developers said anything about them working on a solution that doesn't require you downgrade your graphics driver?

14. effe Apprentice Engineer

Not that i heard. I have setup another computer lately with win 10 and used the old nvidia drivers to make sure ME works. Could be good to have an update along the way though from Keen as i am not sure we can expect to have Nvidia taking this in consideration. :p Who knows? :)

15. kingtigerpz Trainee Engineer

What options did you actually change. I went into the Nvidia Control panel and went to 3d settings and created a profile for ME, however I couldn't find that particular option. I'd really prefer to not have to downgrade. Thanks for your help, I just bought this game recently and have yet to be able to play it.

16. effe Apprentice Engineer

@kingtigerpz

I got it to work at a laptop as the laptop has Intelgraphix as an additional option on top of Nvidia as "graphical processors".

At the previous OS i was running windows 8.1, an option would allow when setting up special Nvidia rules for a program to choose between 3 options for Graphical processors. This stands as a pull down menu when you setup particular rules for a particular software, in this case ME. On other Nvidia panel the option shows in the list of the options you can setup for the selected software. In both case it's name "Graphical processors" or "Cuda Graphical processors". Wherever this options stands, it should give you three options :

1. Auto selection (default) meaning Nvidia decides and rules as graphical processor depending on the context, software, etc.
    2. Nvidia graphic drivers : Nvidia always rules
    3. Let the software/program use its own setup <- It's the option we look for.

Then once setup, you have to launch the game, go to the graphical options of the game and force Intel graphix as pilot rather than Nvidia. Again, i was able to do so as intel graphix was setup at this laptop. At my current home computer, i just have Nvidia so i am not sure this work around would work. At this time on this machine and when reinstalling it i have used the old drivers version of Nvidia to make sure it works.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers!

17. Glendrine Trainee Engineer

I'm really disappointed with this company's total lack of response to this issue. I found a post in the technical help forum from six months ago that no one has responded to, let alone Keen.

I've found that I can get a temporary fix without juggling my driver software by using crunchynut's solution with one revision: After you change the graphics level, exit that screen by clicking the X in the upper right corner, not "OK". That should fix your screen bleaching until the next time you start the game.

18. kingtigerpz Trainee Engineer

I tried just this on my game and it works. Don't know why but it does. Now if only we can fix the problem for good :)

19. Dan2D3D Moderator

Hi guys!

Someone got it to work today with this trick:
    This white lite problem can be fixed by first selecting a preset (from pressing K in-game) and then clicking on the X to close the window, NOT the OK button. Just a slight mod from LemonyNebula's post above - selecting ESC didn't work for me, but pressing the X to close the window did!
    EDIT: ''K'' menu does not have ''X'' to close so try with graphics option.
    REF http://steamcommunity.com/app/333950/discussions/0/494632506577630068/?tscn=1450405775

Tell me if it works for you too or not.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  20. Rowch Trainee Engineer

This had worked for me. and yeah only with clicking the X button that it stays like that. So thank you Dan for the heads up, definitely did not want to roll back my driver just for 1 game, love keens work but not that much lol. Hoping this gets fixed soon though. Was looking to get back into some ME after taking a bit of a break from it and letting it develop some more in the survival aspect. Think I'll wait till this issue get's resolved before getting back into it again, because I prefer my custom settings over their presets. Keep up the good work Keen!

21. Dan2D3D Moderator

Thank you Rowch for telling, happy to know that it works. :tu:

For the other members in this thread, try this temp solutions and tell me if it's working for you.

22. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

Game is complete white - out, can only see bright white.
    Something is horribly wrong, the only way to get to see anything is make it dark night, were its super bright.
    Space Engineers isn't doing this.
    Again, game is all white, too bright in the extreme. (Nvidia)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Darkest Settings.
    Fog is worse.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hope it helps, I just play in eternal darkness for now, its not that bad. :)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  23. effe Apprentice Engineer

hi,

Ok white screen is back for me too. no way to find the X to close the K windows though. I had to set the game at 3h50 during the night and it works this way. That could be cool to fix it though as apparently Nvidia won't.
    Else i have played about a fews minutes in the small world i made with only a few blocks and the game crashed after that. Sounds got somehow blocked and looping (walking sound). Log file doesn't say much i had to shut down the game via the task manager.

on this PC, i run
    Windows 10 pro, 64 bit
    DirectX : 12.0
    Pilote version 358.91

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.