Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Why do custom games still have 2015 definitions?

Discussion in 'General' started by ShadedMJ, Aug 8, 2019.

1. ShadedMJ Apprentice Engineer

TL/DR : The custom games "Crashed Red Ship" "Alien Planet" "Earth Planet" (probably the rest too) have assemblers with capacity of 1000L which is the 2015 definition of the assembler. Current assemblers are 4000L. Why are the old definitions still used?

I've been playing the Crashed Red Ship custom game and added two more assemblers. When checking inventory, I saw the capacity wasn't the same across all three. Loaded up other custom games and found the 1000L assemblers on those as well.

Why is this a thing?

I've been designing a save game that was intended to check the various settings of most blocks to note things that don't look right, to detect potential problems like refineries overproducing now. This concept is useless if the block definitions change but the old definitions are still kept in builds, unless I completely tear down every test case and rebuild it every release.

2. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

You don't need to rebuild anything. Before you load the game, just go into advanced settings reset your cargo capacities upward to 3X or 5X or 10X.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

If you report it over at the support site (https://support.keenswh.com/spaceengineers) I am sure Keen will get around to updating the files.

Is probably a simple oversight on their part.
    Good job in catching it!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. ShadedMJ Apprentice Engineer

--- Automerge ---
    The custom games have 1000L assemblers and they are stuck that way. New assemblers I place have the standard 4000L.

What I don't like is that a single game can have old and new assemblers in the same game. This should not happen.

5. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Well, then, I guess I misunderstood the problem. Disagree away...

6. Calaban Junior Engineer

maybe its just an old wreck, and the assemblers were from an earlier era.

We Von Neumann machine biological tool-using clone printouts have been spawning and building "per specifications" for billions of years now. Its understandable that we may encounter other divergent galactic fractal paths with differing component specifications in our travels.

I mean, we bio-printed engineers really cannot claim to know or understand- much less design the specifications for the blocks we place. We just Build. And Build. And Build. If the code drifts this way or that over the eons, we would never know.

There may be some truly sad divergent paths Out There where the design specs for their pistons and rotors simply detonate at random, due to the degradation of the source code. Those poor souls simply continue to Build. And Build. And Build to this day. only with many, many more explosions- never knowing that rotors and pistons arent really supposed to explode like that.

So feel fortunate, or unfortunate, that you caught a glimpse of the true horror of our situation here.

Dont fret though. If you or I or them Over There have little problems here and there, in the big picture, the Plan is an astounding success. The Von Neumann design of medbays and assemblers (building more medbays and assembers) has proven a successful design, as there are engineers building. and building. and building. -in literally every single star in this galaxy, and the 12 other ones off thataway. Who even knows where the Source Point even is at this time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

What he said...

• Agree Agree x 1