Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Why we (at least me) want programming and batteries.

Discussion in 'Survival' started by xwhitemousex, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. xwhitemousex Apprentice Engineer

2. Vermillion Senior Engineer

... Why?
    Marek already confirmed Programming, and batteries is a "Possibly".

3. Beezilbub Apprentice Engineer

I like the idea whitemouse. (a little off topic) I did some tests last night with solar panels just to see what they were capable of. The only real thing they can do is act as a backup in case your reactor runs out of uranium. A couple of panels will power a cockpit (for suit recharge), a couple of spotlights and a beacon. So at least you can keep the most essential systems going.

One thing I don't really understand about them is why they take so damn long to build/disassemble. Given that and their minimal utility, it almost seems like the devs are trying to discourage players from using them.

4. extraammo Senior Engineer

Yeah, their build time and component sizes need to be dramatically decreased. I know the idea was to discourage people using them as replacements but the low power output was enough to do that. Having them build super slow just discourages use period.
    Also, batteries are a fantastic idea.

5. Kayson Trainee Engineer

I think your idea is fantastic.

6. Stonewolf Junior Engineer

Only people with not enough imagination can come up with only one use for solar panels. Batteries are a good idea. Why bash solar power for their expense. Your gonna want both.

I use solar panels for lots of things. Batteries would be good for the walkman playing sounds in my helmet cause space is supposed to be quiet? When did that happen? (Ok. I did not just say that? :rolleyes:)

Mostly I wonder why is this topic in Survival Mode Discussion? Nothing against OP or the idea, just leave the solar panels alone already, OK? They are gonna remove them cause people did not know how to use them if this keeps up. Is this when everyone gonna be happy? (Answer is: no, there will be something else. Always is.)

7. xwhitemousex Apprentice Engineer

8. Ash87 Senior Engineer

Also I heavily doubt they would remove solar panels, given how much use they have already. People just seem to be operating under the false impression you can power your whole station with solar power.

I agree with whitemouse, I'd like to see batteries be implemented so we can have solar charging stations.

Why what? Confusion.

9. Vermillion Senior Engineer

Why post this thread?
    The order at which power is consumed from which source is already implemented. Batteries, if added would be fitted into the order in the same way.
    Programming doesn't come into it at all.
    At best, there would be a "Use first" or "Reserve Power" function in the ship/station Control Panel to determine whether you drain power from the batteries when initiating any power-consuming function that exceeds the excess output of the solar panel array, or whether you drain the power from the batteries when you run out of uranium/have reactors destroyed/power consumption exceeds 100%.

10. Stonewolf Junior Engineer

Im with Vermi on this, I don't see the point of this topic.

Would not be the first time I misread or understood something :D But let me color something that confuses me.

I agree Ash. I'm merely trying to make sure there is no mistake that solar panels are important. Agree about batteries too, would be a great addition.

If I could get whitemouse here to agree that they already have "much use" and have "lot of function" in the game. (maybe not to him) Tho there is still the possibility that I'm misunderstanding something, if that's the case I apologize and will exit stage left :cool:

On my earlier post I fear I may have said too much, I have a bad habit of throwing a joke on my postings, Just to lighten everything I say. It should not ever be taken too seriously. People will think you are crazy anyway if you tell them you were talking to a stone (especially if you tell them it talked back :p)

11. xwhitemousex Apprentice Engineer

12. BiZZ Keryear Apprentice Engineer

I second batteries.... (asap) so you could finally use solar panels as emergency energy
    since the grav gen update all what my ~30! Solarpannels do is generating power for gravity and that even though I reduce the size of the field to minimum and the strength to 0.2g.

13. douglasg14b Apprentice Engineer

Batteries or some way to transfer power are necessary for solar panels. Since stations are kind of set in their orientation it would be necessary to have solar panels on a rotor that can be adjusted to face direct sunlight. The problem is that power cannot be transferred back through the rotor....

14. OneAmongOthers Apprentice Engineer

Batteries will be as useless as the solar panels are. At current you cannot reach the maximum output of a solar panel simply because of the way the blocks are placed. You cannot get them to face the sun for a station. The produce barely any power. 5kw for a large panel?? Really? That pointless unless you are going to use them for remote beacons. Charging stations are pointless since you can just charge your energy in a ship.

They need to buff panels to at least 50-100 kilowatts. This way the still don't compare to a single small reactor, but in large numbers you (like a solar farm set up) you can at least power gravity generators, medical bays and the stations lights. The reactors will always be needed for your refinerys and assemblers.

15. xwhitemousex Apprentice Engineer

http://www.theecoexperts.co.uk/how-much-electricity-can-i-generate-solar-panels

Solar Panels in-game are 3x2 blocks? One block is 2.5m.

So 6 blocks x 2,5m = 15 m2 x 1000W/m2 = 15kW per large panel. Since we are in 2077, and in space with no atmospheric interference, we could probably add an efficiency ratio of 1,5 .... so 15kW x 1,5 = 22,5kW per (large) panel.

Provided they are 2 x 3 blocks in area.

16. Virakotxa Apprentice Engineer

Plus it's sci-fi... Photon particles combined with gravity generators could yield 10 times that, if they so wish, for playability reasons. Thing is, the stuff is not yet balanced. (This is madness... No. It's Alfaaa! thump*) But if we want to read more into it... Find a conspiracy around solar-panels? Hardly... It was a nice implementation that came from passionate community feedback.

17. Ash87 Senior Engineer

Well it would be an alternative to solar panels. Also, my primary interest in it, would be that it could be traded and sold to people as a good, so they do not have to spend untold amounts of time working on building solar panels which are time consuming to build, and very expensive. Instead people could provide batteries for cheaper. So you get solar power battery factories, and factories like that provide a clear purpose for station/stationary large ship construction, that would cost a Lot to maintain and construct.

I see batteries being an alternative to solar in that way, something you can use without sticking solar panels all over your ship to perform a similar function, but more importantly provides a much needed station specialization.

18. xwhitemousex Apprentice Engineer

Make charged batteries portable, i.e. you can have them recharge in a base or on a large ship aimed at sun.. then grab the full batteries and install them on your ships :)

19. Uhm Apprentice Engineer

Pretty much

Batteries are gonna make life easy if they get introduced.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.