Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Will eye adaptation ever be fixed?

Discussion in 'General' started by DragonShadow, Oct 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. DragonShadow Apprentice Engineer

It's probably low priority given it doesn't prevent the game from running or anything, but it is intrusive during gameplay...

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Tigerstripe Apprentice Engineer

It is kinda, well... backwards from reality, a bit.

Addition of the Purkinje effect to wash out the colors toward blue & monochrome in very low light would also be a great effect, if I may make that suggestion... though emissives and normal light sources should cut through the effect.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  3. DragonShadow Apprentice Engineer

Quite literally backwards, yes, haha. It seems like it's really good otherwise buuuuuut...

4. Oskar1101 Apprentice Engineer

There is no eye adaptation effect in SE. What you can see is a simulation of ambient lighting that game is trying to figured out basing on player position, because there is no local ambient lighting and game must to calculate it dynamically and change it globally.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. auge Apprentice Engineer

Well, I reported that as a bug in late 2014, so its probably a feature or very low priority.

6. DragonShadow Apprentice Engineer

Oskar1101, you just described eye adaptation...

7. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Eye adaption would be like this:
    You are standing outside in the sun. Through the door of your spaceship nearby you can see it is dark inside, and you can't make out the interior except for some control panel blue and equipment light green soft glows (emissive textures). Outside there are normal bright areas, and a shadow of the ship which is greyish but you can still see things. When you step inside the ship, at first you see the darkness, but then your eyes adjust and you can see passenger seats in shadowy light. Turning around, the area outside looks brighter than before when seen from inside. Dark areas are dark until you enter them.

SE is currently more like this:
    You are standing outside in the sun. The interior of your ship seen through an open door is the same greyish visible level of light as the area outside your ship that is in shadow. Other things outside are bright. When you step inside the ship, it starts to get darker until you can't see anything. Turning around, the area outside has also become darker when seen from inside. Dark areas only become dark when you enter them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. abrtn00101 Trainee Engineer

I tried to fix this by toying around with the shaders a couple of months back. I got to the point where shaded areas were darker when you were standing in the light and slightly brighter when standing in the dark, but I had issues with the specular reflections becoming really messed up when you walked into dark areas. I meant to try to fix it later, but I didn't have the time.

After not playing Space Engineers for several months, I ran the game last weekend after the patch to see how it looks like now. Keen still has a lot of work to do to get everything okay. I did some shader adjustments to get it back to the way I like it (they changed some things and now the nights outside in the open are far too bright for my liking), and I noticed that Keen has some new eye adaptation code that isn't in the backup of the older shaders that I keep.

So Keen might actually be working on the feature, but I don't know when they'll be done or if they will even get it working correctly. I did try to put in the modifications I made in the past to try to replicate the behavior I managed to get when I first got the shadows to darken when standing in the light and vice versa, but they don't seem to affect lighting the same way (dark areas still get lighter when standing in the light even with my modifications to the new shaders).

9. Malware Master Engineer

I can confirm that there is no eye adaptation in SE. This is indeed ambient light simulation, which works opposite, just like @Oskar1101 states. I know this for a fact for two reasons: Firstly, there are (were) settings to disable this effect in the debug menu. Said nothing about eye adaptation. However there was also a second setting for eye adaptation, but which did nothing. This is rather telling. Secondly and most importantly, I asked the devs about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.