Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Will you please add a pulley system?

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Maverick260, Mar 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Maverick260 Trainee Engineer

I'll be honest here. When I pre ordered medieval engineers as soon as I heard about it even though multiple people around me said I shouldn't.

I've played around with it quite a lot and build some pretty fun things like cranes, minecarts, castles and other stuff.
    There's only one problem. I keep getting stuck when trying to do stuff.
    I always need one thing to continue with my build and that's a pulley. Nothing fancy, just... well a pulley..

I keep wondering why such an essential piece of engineering that dates back much further than medieval times isn't in the game yet.

I hope at least a very basic version of it can be added in the near future. Meanwhile I'll keep an eye at the changelogs.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

I'm not an expert on this stuff.

Can you explain the difference between the current rope drum we have, and a pulley system?

3. Maverick260 Trainee Engineer

Google pulley. Rope drum means connecting directly to an object you want to apply a pulling force on. A pulley takes the rope from the drum and feeds it through a guide .So instead of a direct line from the drum to the point you want to pull on. You can effectivly pull from another point.

Pulleys are used everywhere and are super usefull when applied right you can lift surprising amounts of weigt with so little effort.

4. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

A better question would be, why can't we connect rope chains through the Rope Eye Plate blocks? You can only connect two Rope Eye plates. Once one is connected to another Rope Eye plate with rope, you can't extend the rope through to a third one and so on.

http://www.medievalengineerswiki.com/index.php?title=Rope_Eye_Plate

I think that's what's stopping the rope drum from functioning like a pulley. It's the Rope Eye Plate blocks that prevent functionality of having rope be placed and threaded around corners. (Because they don't actually allow rope to thread through them. You can't create a chained rope through multiple Eye Plate blocks.)

If the Rope Eye Plate blocks allowed a rope to chain through them, you could place them around corners and then have a single rope run through all of them, originating from the rope drum. That would function exactly like the pulley system you describe.

So I hope we can chain a rope through rope eye plates at some point, otherwise it severely limits the mechanical engineering side of things. Plus it is not logical that you cannot thread rope through multiple eye plate hooks - the rope ends up locked connecting from the first one to the second one. It doesn't make sense that you can't connect the second one to a third hook and so on.

Hopefully it's just an oversight and once they get to it (the engineering side of things), they will enable rope to be hooked realistically (through multiple eye plate blocks). After all, that's what they are there for, to act as a conduit for rope pulling through various timbers and other contraptions at various angles. Then you can have your rope drum off to one side and it would make much more sense for it to work that way.

5. sonicthe Trainee Engineer

IRL, rope eye plates would function as you described, @Tenzo, although only up to a certain angle. Then the eye begins to bite on the rope and you can't pull very much weight. A pulley would make a lot more sense in that it would allow the rope to be drawn at almost any angle. Then the eye plates as they are would make sense. You use them to tie the end of the rope off on the thing you are trying to move.

Part of the issue I think is the way that ropes have been implemented in their entirety. You put it quite well, @Tenzo. "Chaining" might be the way it has to be implemented, but I would simply have the LMB attach a free end, or "feed through" the eye plate if it is already connected somewhere else. Then the RMB would terminate the "chain," that is, attach the final time. Then, in the future, a pulley could be added, and the code is already done for its use.

They aren't ropes the way we think of them, especially when attached to a rope drum. Whatever length you attach to the rope drum is the maximum length that rope can have, so the rope drum will wind them up, but can't unwind anything (because it's not there). Graphically, the rope drum never changes (and I kind of understand a little bit why that is), so you can't tell whether there is any rope on it or not.

A pulley system wouldn't be hard, I don't think, especially since most of us wouldn't care initially that it didn't "move". We just want to be able to run a rope around a corner and do something useful with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Cetric Junior Engineer

The "little effort" could maximize in a number of teams and horses to set up monuments, as seen here:
    https://books.google.de/books?id=BA...IPzAI#v=onepage&q=pulley Rome obelisk&f=false
    [​IMG]

I agree with you. The pulley in Medieval Engineers would mean a giant step forward in engineering solutions. It has been requested many times (almost as often as water or horses). I imagine it is difficult to make work like we expect, in terms of programming, though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MorshuArtsInc Apprentice Engineer

I've been waiting since 2015 for this. But before they add pulleys, they'll need to make rope an actual physical entity with collision and such. Although it's pretty convenient to be able to let them just clip through everything, it doesn't make much sense.

8. sonicthe Trainee Engineer

@MorshuArtsInc, that's what I was referring to in my post above. Rope doesn't currently behave like rope.

9. Michael_Loney Trainee Engineer

For what its worth +1 to pulleys!!

I would imagine it would behave like a rope drum, except instead of a handle it would take its rotation input value from a rope connected to it.

So, Rope drum -> rope -> Pulley -> Eye plate. You turn handle, the drum pulls the rope, the pulley sees that as a input to shorten its rope, TADA the thing moves.

Lets leave the limit at one pulley for now, that would be enough.

10. HamBone Trainee Engineer

+1 for pulleys. I wouldn't even care if they provided a mechanical advantage in game. Just being able to change the direction of the pulling force would be handy.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.