Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Wind turbines are a fantastic way to make planets more attracting.

Discussion in 'General' started by halipatsui, Apr 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Taemien Apprentice Engineer

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. odizzido Junior Engineer

Asteroids are generated randomly right? Why not have it so asteroids spawn with planet only resources if there are no planets?

3. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Why not

4. Acolyte Apprentice Engineer

Can we put power into wind turbines to generate motive force for the grid ? might be a fix for wheels ;-)

5. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Wind turbines can be made so that they work only when anchored to voxels (that are within the correct atmosphere). Rexxar created that dependency with his Shipyard Mod. I'm pretty certain the same logic can be applied.

I like the idea of wind power, but it has to be balanced into the game. The output of wind power should be randomized. There should be periods of time ranging from 0 output (no appreciable wind) to full output. Perhaps the game will calculate a simple timeline for each solar day (default 2 hours) and create a multi-segment map of "wind speed" for that planet over the next solar day. Each planet with an atmosphere should have a variable to control maximum and minimum wind output. That way modders can create a windy planet, one that's just breezy, or one with no wind at all.

Dynamic energy output would keep the windmills balanced, especially if the output is randomized and there could be periods of ZERO output. You would probably want a battery reserve if you're going to be solely dependent on them and trim your power consumption as needed during periods of low generation. You'd have to problem-solve and "engineer the shit out the problem." That would make for good game play.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Maybe, but imo they should have some considerable advantage over solar panels to actually give reason to use them.
    For example stable energy production.
    Or considerably higher energy production.
    They would still be balanced versus solr panels because solars can be used in space too.

7. Me 10 Jin Apprentice Engineer

Here's a brief summary of my hopes for windmills:

1. Their output is based on how unobstructed the area around them is. Their output would take a hit if stuff (voxels, grids) is invading their 'personal space'. If you're going to put them underground, hollow out a few cubic Km plz.

2. Their output drops significantly while moving (in any direction). We don't need to get draconian against troll-mobiles, just make them impractical (i.e: the opposite of gravity drives).

3. Apart from these factors, their output is consistent. To counter wind speed variations, windmills could have flywheels made of handwavium.

• Like Like x 1
  8. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Wouldnt it be cool if you could point a thruster at them to make them spin super fast?
    Just for lulz

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. TwoHedWlf Trainee Engineer

Could be interesting on a lander with some more accurate aerodynamics. Regenerative braking system: Huge drag and power generation dropping through the atmosphere, charge up batteries that can provide power for a soft landing and takeoff?
    --- Automerge ---

10. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

I'm hoping they do something like act like air breaks that slow down moving grids so you don't.....as ViroMan said do troll physics and generate more power by flying.
    a way of slowing a moving a moving grid meaning more thrusters are needed is one way i see of making it so that doesn't happen. :p

illustration of what i've done many times with wind power mods.
    imagine that machine but on a rover...generate power by moving.
    [​IMG]

11. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Stable energy production should be left to the reactor. Solar is free energy, but varies with the amount of sunlight received. That creates a decent balance (besides the shear number). Wind should have similar behavior. Wind, in the real world, is variable. That means turbine speed is a variable. Giving away free power without a caveat throws off the balancing of power sources.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Reactors should just have largest power output/ space efficiency.
    My proposition is not neccessarily completely realistic, but gameplay-wise it would be good reason to set foot on planets and make bases.

Of course turbines might just end up being worse and cheaper solar panel for early game.

13. Devon_v Senior Engineer

It seems to me that turbines will be good for planets because they don't care about the terrain, how much sunlight an area gets, what angle the sun traverses, etc. They don't have to be very good at what they do to be better than solar for a newbie ground base. Presuming they take just steel plates, tubes, and motors, you can put a bunch of them up early and not have to think about it anymore. Ideally they'll function like the moisture vaporator mod and actually have to be anchored to voxels in an atmosphere to work, but their sheer size could also deter using them on all but the largest vehicles.

Since Keen seems to want to move away from the atmospheric lander towards the escape pod with the parachute, it makes sense to provide alternatives to the mountain of components the player currently needs to be provided with to get a base started. One turbine and some form of small ship refinery/assembler (it only needs to be able to make stuff that you need to build a full setup) could provide and much smaller minimum set of resources for a game start.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

could this mean we're going to be getting an environmental hazard of wind?

*attempts to get jack pack off in strong wind but gets carried away*
    *Wilhelm scream*

or will they just sit there and magically generate power from a non-existent force?

Wilhelm scream.....this classic scream we all know and semi-love/semi-hate

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Devon_v Senior Engineer

I have nothing but love for the Wilhelm scream.

16. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Mod is at character dying sound= win?

17. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I just tried it. I couldn't find any info on modding character sounds, so I just tried to wing it by emulating the set-up for "PlayVocDeath" as a mod.

Though, death is usually a grunt, which there are many, and I don't know if I've ever heard the sound (actually a .wav file) associated with the death of my character.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.