Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Windows ... Boring ? (I'm not talking about the Microsoft one)

Discussion in 'Survival' started by Popopabobo, Jan 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Popopabobo Trainee Engineer

Hi all,

I didn't see any recent topic about windows. Personaly, I feel that windows are quite boring to handle with, but maybe I do it wrong.

First of this topic is that there are too few ways to connect windows and other blocks, sometimes the solution simply doesn't exist. Even using a catway nearby. Even if one block below or above is free. Let's take the example of a pyramid of angle blocks, which cannot bear a flat horizontal window on the top. Too bad. I mean, there should be a solution, as long as there is no conflict with any other blocks. Any solution I didn't envisage ?

The boring part of windows, now. I understand that windows have a tinted face and a see-through one. Ok. It means that users have to be careful while placing them. Ok again. But when putting triangle windows at 45° (which is quite boring in itself, to find the right angle), you'll have to place triangles tinted windows below, then normal triangle windows upside down. If you place only tinted glass, the upper windows will be see-through.:mad:

Where is the point to bully the players this way ??? Wouldn't it be possible to keep only normal windows and remove inverted windows, making tinted glass through a mechanism similar to painting ? This would reduce the number of windows (maybe allowing more types of windows) and would allow to make windows more easily, choosing the coated side afterwards.

As a survival player, I also regreat that windows are componed of so many parts that a character cannot carry a 1x1 window alone. This makes a welding ship essential but, as you can't check out what is being welded, it is another risk of failing a window.

Large window parts are quite a pain, in my opinion. Or maybe I didn't understand it well. Could anybody help ?

2. Starman001 Trainee Engineer

Definitly missing : 2 simple 1x1 diagonal windows, no slope.... I have a base with a huge windows row, and the corners just look awful because the set is missing some vital diagonal pieces.

3. MegaMiner Junior Engineer

not to mention that some pieces are dark one way and see through the other, such that you have to have the aforementioned catwalk pieces as a kludge.

4. DDP-158 Master Engineer

You have a very interesting choice of words there, of which I can't particularly agree with feeling bored or bullied. Checking out what is going to be welded is also easy once you know what to look for. Even in placing you will notice that once side of the glass is lighter than the other.

Getting those points out of the way, I love the idea of simply adding our own tint through painting. The idea actually takes out 3 birds with one stone. For starters, there have been a number of players who have requested straight up clear windows so right off the bat it helps them. #2 goes to the very point of the thread where you can tint after placing all windows which saves a ton of hassle in placing. And thirdly, using the color wheel will allow for different tints allowing people to be more unique in ship designs.

5. Starman001 Trainee Engineer

@Megaminer : there is a mod in the workshop that add additional, and also fixed vanilla windows... Not everything is fixed, but most regarding reflection and "looking through".

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=312871871

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=333734238

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
  6. Malware Master Engineer

My biggest gripe with windows is that they are not transparent enough. They are hard to see through when trying to move a big ship in 1st person. I have to resort to a mod and I really don't like to use mods.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
  7. Popopabobo Trainee Engineer

DDP-158, You're quite right. I was kind of ... pissed off after building a very large glass part (at least 1/4th of the surface) of a very large ship (more than 1,500t in light armor only) and in survival mode (yeah yeah, I'm kind of masochist sometimes). All that can perhaps explain that I seemed a bit aggressive, but I remained correct though.

Talking of the idea of tinted glass afterwards, I agree with you. Possibilities would be quite largely enhanced : clear glass both sides, tinted one side OR the other, tinted one side AND the other (why not?), and also colored glass. And this would be made with fewer items. I feel this idea that you clearly improved deserves some attention, cause it seems good.

Thanks for the mod, it can surely help me until some dev work on this idea :).

I also agree with LordDevious that windows are not transparent enough, and it might be useful to solve the subject of piloting a large ship in first person view. However, this is also a matter of tastes. Some like it less, some like it more. I remember in NFSU that the more expensive/HL glasses where the most tinted ones. This has to be taken into account, maybe players prefer more tinted glasses in the end. Maybe this could be solved with the possibility of multiple coatings on the same window. But maybe I'm dreaming if I think this could be easy for the devs. Sorry in advance if so.

8. waterlubber Trainee Engineer

The new system recently implemented in ME would also be great for this.
    I'd still like the paint system though: Saturation controls tinty-ness, or maybe a special "alpha" value.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.