Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

WIP: Mars Scavenger System

Discussion in 'General' started by Syncaidius, Mar 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

I was inspired by Sofa's attempt at a map/planet designed around scavenging, so I decided to try my hand at one set on Mars instead of a desert planet.

You can find @Sofa's desert scavenger WIP here: http://forum.keenswh.com/threads/wip-scavenger-survival-world.7378899/

[​IMG]A destroyed outpost. What could be inside?

[​IMG]A pirate outpost.

[​IMG]
    The (very basic) starting pod. It has no reactors and runs off a battery + 1 solar panel. It also has a medbay owned by nobody, so anyone should be able to spawn at it if they choose. I made this from scratch for the scenario, but used the original Keen pod as inspiration. The interior is a totally different layout.

I'm not going to disable any of the respawn ships/pods, but, since the starter planet has been moved, there's no guarantee you'll spawn anywhere near it. Hopefully this encourages people to spawn at the starter pod instead. ;)

It's designed with cooperative play in mind, but I'm sure server admins can edit the map and place extra spawn pods/bases for PvP if they need to.

Since mars has no oxygen (it has ice however), I thought it'd be interesting if some wrecks or structures contained a supply of oxygen. Partially filled tanks, bottles, etc.

And yes! Mars may have snow/ice, but you may run into things like this:
    [​IMG]
    A heavily defended pirate ice mining facility. They cover pretty large swathes of snow/ice.

Or you might find a crashed and battle-damaged cruiser buried in sand:
    [​IMG]

I've also been trying out various types of traps (both lethal and non-lethal), but haven't used any yet. I may use in-game code to randomize some them so they don't trigger in the same way every time. :p

I'm hoping to take it as far as 3 planets in total with a moon or two orbiting each one. The Mars on this map is pretty small to make it feel fuller, but I may make the other worlds a little larger. We'll see.

Everything I've added so far has been specially created by me for the world. But, I'll accept any ships/stations that people have on the workshop, so long as you own them, and don't mind them being smashed to pieces, blown up, edited, booby-trapped or buried in sand. :p

Any mod blocks they include will be removed though. This is created with vanilla parts only.

If I receive enough workshop creations, I'll add a list of credits to the starter base on some LCDs.

So, let me know what you think!

EDIT: I've received more workshop links than I expected. Thanks to everyone who's contributed!

Here's the credits list for ships that have already been added to the map/world:
    Credits will be updated as more things are added. This list will also appear in the starter outpost on an LCD.

Scenario/Map Info
    You start with a crashed drop-pod which was damaged on impact. Don't expect to repair it and be on your merry way again anytime soon!

The supply of starting resources are bare-minimum. This isn't your usual hand-holding "mine some ore and be on your way" scenario. You start with no refinery and just an assembler. You will have to scavenge for parts. You'll find yourself disassembling and converting parts into other parts quite often early-game.

The crashed pod is still pressurized, but has no airlock, so opening the main door will vent your oxygen until you can upgrade/improve it. You may even decide to grind the whole thing down and start a base. The choice is yours!

Without spoiling too much, the kind of stuff you can find is:
    • Shipwrecks - Stuff I've made + workshop submissions by other (kind) players. :)
    • Destroyed buildings - Same as above
    • Armed + active structures and wrecks
    • Bunkers
    • Random POIs (no particular use besides looking pretty/ugly)
    • A few (very few) large, multi-piece POIs. Heavily defended. Contain lots of goodies, but you're going to have to fight for them.
    • Possible traps in all of the above (saying exactly what would spoil it!)
    • Whatever else I've randomly thought of along the way. :p
    At the moment I'm avoiding the spawning of drones. Anyone who's planed MP will know that if they either clutter the area up and lag a server, or tear your stuff to pieces before you can get established. They're also quite easy to farm, which might negate the whole scavenging thing.

I've also been avoiding any use of rotors, pistons and wheels because of how much impact they have on the sim-speed. Not to mention how unstable they tend to be.

The starter planet isn't too big (it's actually quite small). That may be a pro or a con to some people, but I think it allows for more interesting gameplay. You're not going to be spending hours searching before you find something. And you're also going to run into more hostile structures/wrecks than you would on a planet of the same size as Keen's starter planets. :p

Flyers and rovers each have some nice pros and cons on this scenario, but I'll leave that up to you to find out!

My current goal for the map is for two, maybe three smallish planets, each with at least 1 moon. But how far that idea is taken depends on how well the game performance holds up. My desktop is considered mid-range, so if it runs well on that, it should run well for most people.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    • Like Like x 8
  2. Light_gemini Junior Engineer

This looks great so far. My congratulations to you and all other people doing this kind of scenarios. ;)

Maybe this can fit your style. Its an armored personel carrier small ship. Leaves nice debries and hull when thrown to the ground, and has the bad (good in this case) tendency to get all its important blocks destroyed on impact.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=582976486

• Like Like x 1
  3. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

I've got the same ship list for you as was in the other thread.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

who doesn't want a lost garage with a mech inside? my sig has the workshop link
    EDIT: if you leave them complete and for players to use, use the wolf or the crawler, the others are usable, but tend to sacrifice themselfes to clang

• Like Like x 2
  5. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

I have a redesigned military transport Ive been working on you might like. It looks spectacular when you bellyflop it, guts out the main hanger bay and alot of flooring so would work well if you back filled the inside with voxlesand.
    Tryed to keep the outside as close to the orginal as possable, and been working on striping out as much heavy armor as possable with a goal of earth like launch. Still a few days from being finshed but for a crashed ship it would probably work for ya. Ill upload some screenshots when I get home.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

I have a bunch of bubble-hab designs I've been prototyping in SketchUp recently; I don't have the ability to replicate them in-game, but they should theoretically be possible to create if you wanted to...?

7. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

Thanks for all the workshop links guys.

I've been adding a few more wrecks and pirate structures to scavenge/attack.

Here's one of @BlackUmbrellas ships... well, what's left of it. :p

[​IMG]

I've also added the first trap to a different structure. But I'm not going to post any pics of it, to avoid ruining the surprise.

I'll be avoiding the use of too many lethal traps because I know what a pain in the ass it is to respawn 10km+ away from where you died in planet survival.:stare:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  8. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

Oh man, cool!

(Also, wouldn't players have the option to make a mobile medbay if they want to avoid respawning far away after dying?)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Me 10 Jin Apprentice Engineer

That's some quality wreckage right there! Well done!

• Like Like x 1
  10. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

• Like Like x 1
  11. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

Good point.

That looks great. It might actually work as a crashed pirate ship if its left powered and half buried in sand, with some battle/crash damage on it.

Either way, that can definitely be used. :)

12. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

I put only a token amount of items in it, 10 uranium, 5000 ice(or maybe 50000?), 2 ammo boxs per gun, and 20 missiles.
    Im still working on it to make it look better without adding weight or more visual lag, but since it will be wreaked its good enough at the moment. I also want to strip out most of the ion thrusters aside from the 4 on the bottom and add only a modest amount of smalls for space only docking, then add in small hydros for assist when needed, basicly trying to get the platinum count way down. Make it more viable for a world such as yours.

One thing that Ive been wanting to try that might work well for you is the piarate antenna logic, adding in an addional group that calls to a new "drone" that is basicly just a battery with a flat bottom crash pad and a turrent on top, it would spawn in, fall to the ground and start shooting. Pirate guns require no ammo and you wont get much off the battery. I know the files that control this behavior but Ive no idea if the changes can be included inside a workshop mod.

Anyone rember how to pick a color off a block?

13. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

That can't be true. Isn't it possible to exhaust the pirate base's ammunition? I've heard that brought up before.

14. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

They may require ammo present but the dont use it. I can test this when I get off work.

15. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

Make sure to test outside of creative...

16. Sofa Apprentice Engineer

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  17. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

Managed to put a bit of time in this evening.

Here's @StuffYouFear's ship all nicely messed up and carrying the pirate colors. :)

This is also the first wreck I've added that still has power and active weaponry.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Benokt Apprentice Engineer

I'll offer up a ship for this, I've had many experiences where my atmo-ion ships have been doomed by Mars, where neither engine works well enough.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Me 10 Jin Apprentice Engineer

@StuffYouFear, I've been fudging around with pirate antennas and it looks like drones spawn in any "free" area within ~80m of the antenna. However, ships can spawn inside rocks and planets if the antenna is too close to the ground. This means that pirate bases should have spawner antennas at least 30 blocks off the ground. A "stationary" drone falling to the ground might fall ~150m, so it may be in for a rough landing. Making smart drones is going to be tricky.

20. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

......left the insurance in the glovebox.... damnit...

Looking good :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  21. Daleks2377 Trainee Engineer

Hello, I've been watching these threads for awhile, this one as well as this one http://forum.keenswh.com/threads/wip-scavenger-survival-world.7378899/ . Finally made me make an account so I could add some input, I've been working up the drive to try something like this. I do have a few ships in my workshop that might do well. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=478531491 This one as an example. These ideas are pretty cool and I hope to see more worlds that are scavenger based.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

Thanks guys. They look perfect for a scavenger map. I'll take a closer look after work. :)

This is one reason why I've avoided using drone-spawning antennas so far. I might experiment with them at a some point but, planetary drones tend to clutter up the area pretty fast, which is bad for DS/MP. They're also quite easy to farm, which might negate the whole point of scavenging.

I've done a few tests with the armed pirate structures/wrecks though. They make flying more of a risk compared to using a rover. You're much more likely to take damage and get shot down while in the air, which is quite costly when you start with almost nothing IMO. :p

23. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

You just gave me a fun idea for a piggyback tiny camara drone that sits on a rover to recon because a remote block and antenna are far cheaper than a cockpit. Only down side is 1970's scanline tv

• Like Like x 1
  24. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

• Like Like x 2
  25. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

Here's screenshot of half of @RobertmxD's ship. The other half is... somewhere... not close. :p

[​IMG]

Pieces of another (half) of @BlackUmbrellas ships is nearby, along with some of @Benokt's Tapir-class ship.

And of course some pirate defenses.

I wonder what it is? :p

• Like Like x 3
  26. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

Oooh, looks like a salvage operation.

27. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

Wow +1 for partal salvage.

28. Daleks2377 Trainee Engineer

Interesting, Have you thought about makeshift pirate rovers that drive all over the planet? Would be pretty cool to see a spotlight slowly moving across the desert at night.

29. Dumbrarere Trainee Engineer

Liking the look of this. Keep the good work going. :)

• Like Like x 1
  30. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

I imagine that'd be pretty tricky to get right, given autopilot can't control wheels.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.