Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

WIP: Mars Scavenger System

Discussion in 'General' started by Syncaidius, Mar 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Daleks2377 Trainee Engineer

I read in a thread awhile back how people made this work, The autopilot just points the rover in the direction of the GPS point and the wheels are set to go forward.

2. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

The only issue with wheels is they hit the sim speed pretty hard when you have too many. To the physics engine, they're just another form of rotors.

I've been avoiding the use of any moving parts so far. The less of them there are, the more I can place in the world.

Right now there's quite a lot on the Mars planet, and the sim speed is still 1.0. But, I'm hoping to have as much as 3 planets with random stuff on them and a few decent things on each of their moons.

Going to need every ounce of sim speed I can get. :p

3. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

If I might make a suggestion?

Using timers, you could probably set up some neat "events". Personally I'd probably focus on a single planet and maybe it's moons for something like this (low resource yields and a focus on salvage lend themselves to staying put and not wasting resources flying through interplanetary space), and events would be best-suited for a more focused scenario maybe, but... what if you scattered some ships around in space, pointed roughly towards the planet, and used long-duration timers to pulse-fire their engines across a range of hours? Or turned on autopilot waypoints to make them land?

Basically, it'd reinforce that this is a scrap world by occasionally dumping a wreck on the planet.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Thermonuklear Junior Engineer

Oh man, can't wait to get my filthy mitts on this world...

5. Mirolog_ Trainee Engineer

3 planets full of stuff? Probably too much. 1 planet would be enough.

And here is an idea:

Instead of covering moon in small wrecks, how about having 3-5 wrecks that contain valuable resources. A lot of uranium, superconductors or something. Most of the wreck will be underground. So players will actually explore moons to get stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SF-1 Raptor Junior Engineer

• Like Like x 1
  7. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

They look pretty good.

What they contain doesn't matter too much, I usually strip out anything insanely valuable out of them (stored items, large reactors/thrusters/ containers, gravity gens, jump drives, etc). That way, when people find a wreck, they don't instantly win the game. :)

But at the same time, I try to leave as much original interior as I can to keep it interesting, as well as loot that fits the scenario better. :p

As you've both said, it's probably better to focus on one planet and a few moons. There may still be a 2nd planet though. I have some pretty decent plans for it if the game allows it (doesn't lag).

So far performance is holding up nicely, considering I have a pretty old GPU (HD 7850) by today's standards. 1.0 sim speed and 30+ fps on med-high settings.

It's hard to say for sure how far the map can be taken yet though. If I get a sniff of performance issues I'll reel back on the plans. :)

EDIT: Updated the OP with some more info about the map.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  8. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

if you need any (small)ships or stations just say something, and i'll get building

• Like Like x 1
  9. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

Man hearing about that broken in half ship makes me want to go find and update my old mp survival ship I got like 75% done with. It would need a few retro fits and the front end finshed, but it was a 1-1-1 server so it had 12 refinerys stacked long ways in 4 groups. It also had a retractable forward facing missle pod, and two retractable railguns. Very very long ship.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

The remains of @SF-1 Raptor's corvette after pirate scavengers had shot it down and stripped it of it's most valuable systems:

[​IMG]

My epic fail attempt at hitting one of the pirate outposts in a lightly armed rover: (not included in final version!)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

Oh, as a possible suggestion @Syncaidius : the Needle and the Railspike, my "vertical" ships, would probably be interesting if they popped up somewhere having crashed bottom-down instead of on their sides. That is to say, if they appeared somewhere as crooked, leaning "skyscrapers".

• Like Like x 1
  12. Me 10 Jin Apprentice Engineer

@Syncaidius, are you converting the wrecked large ships into stations and pasting them into the ground? it's hard to tell from the screenshots.

Also, since this type of project is generating so much interest, I suggest you crowdsource the wreck-making work; just post your guidelines (mass, Pt/U limits, etc...).

13. Daleks2377 Trainee Engineer

Now that I think of it most of my ships are Gravity drive based, The scout saucer in particular since I was expecting gravity drives to work on planets way back when I made it. If you do plan on adding it, I would suggest stripping out jumpdrive and cryopods and leaving a big debris field, Btw do any of the ships have a debris trail to track down? I always find it fun to track debris to its ship.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

I'm not sure if that'd be possible; assuming he wants to place them in the world himself, the damage would be best served as tailored to whatever crash site he places them in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Me 10 Jin Apprentice Engineer

Maybe so, but only Syncaidius knows for sure. I just don't want to him lose interest and abandon the project, and a little teamwork can work wonders in that regard.

16. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

The issue would be managment of the file, as only one person can work on it at the same time, otherwise who ever updated the file last would overwrite any previous changes the other person made.
    Two options would be for people to have asigned jobs;
    -Grids, only make grid based changes, as that would only effect the sbc file, and leave gps waypoints for the voxel team. Another important job would also be resource striping and balancing, as they would be responsible for the amount of loot you would get for a wreak. Last but not least would be boobytraping wreaks or bases.
    -Voxels, only make changes to terrain as that only effects the planets voxel file, would find work assignments via gps waypoints, or could make gps waypoints for a grid to be installed after terrain sculpting.
    Working like this should technically allow two people to work together at different times and avoiding rollback changes.

IMHO all that is just too much a pain in the ass to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SF-1 Raptor Junior Engineer

Beautiful work.

18. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

A couple do. Many have been sanded over though.

I have no intention of abandoning this. ;)

I've survived the constant crashing of voxel editing, which they've fixed in this weeks update (finally!).

However, if (and that's a very unlikely if) I did, I'd upload it to the workshop at some point for someone else to finish.

But at this point, I've put a lot of work into it. So abandoning would kind of hurt. :p

• Like Like x 1
  19. Silenthunter Trainee Engineer

I really appreciate that your are doing this. This type of scenario is exactly what I've been looking for and can't wait to play the finished project!

20. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

i got an idea. how about a non destroyed, high-tech, but heavily defended research facility in the europa crater?

• Like Like x 2
  21. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

You can have a few key wrecks in the game without a big impact. As long as they are converted to stations... which is probably better. Then they can be partially covered in voxel material as if they buried into the planet upon impact or starting to get covered up due to time.

My thoughts (on another thread) is to feed the world new ships by enabling modded cargo ships. These ships should have beacons that are in a near crashproof area of the ship that has a power source adjacent to ensure that the beacon remains powered. The beacon should also be defended by interior turrets making it difficult to grind down without a fight.

The beacon will attract players from all over the map. So cargo ships cluttering up the planet may not be so much of an issue as players will race to grind them down for parts. A little cleaning in Space Master mode or SEToolbox will help out also.

High value cargo ships should also be externally defended (if that part survives)... the reward is higher... so is the risk. Maybe it's a good idea to take down the defenses. Maybe it's a better idea to let someone else do that dirty work and then snipe him... or maybe take the time to find a blind-spot and work your way around the defenses.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

defenses? small ship+camera+rocket launcher= no static defenses. mines would be good

23. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

I had something similar planned to this, but in the opposite direction (vertically :p).

The Mars seed I'm using has a decent mountain on it. Perfect for a heavily fortified bunker. Mount Weather anyone? (The 100 fans will know what I mean)

Annnnnyway. Here's the new spawn:
    [​IMG]
    This completely replaces the previous salvage spawn outpost. It's still pressurized, but some of the container resources have been swapped out for debris. :p

From another angle:
    [​IMG]
    I was messing with an irregular crater due to the impact angle.

IMO it fits the scenario better, but let me know what you guys think!

If people preferr the spawn outpost from the OP, I might revert. But it's also worth noting, this contains almost the same equipment as the outpost did. ;)

(Those thrusters arn't going to get you anywhere. They're toast.)

• Like Like x 1
  24. Daleks2377 Trainee Engineer

Beautiful, What about adding a salvage party that takes some time to get to your crash zone and you have to defend yourself?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

The only issue preventing things like that at the moment is how dumb the AI is. They're most likely to hit a hill or tip over before they reach the player. They also don't handle the planet curvature too well because they like to fly/drive in straight lines toward the player.

SE's AI is basically Leeroy Jenkins right now. :p

26. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

Is it only wrecks? I have a rusted out captured pirate station that would be perfect for this. Don't have the blueprint as of yet, as I initially made it a world. When I play I'll make a blue print with some of the alterations you need like turning off the auto lcds for sim speed, and adding more turrets to make it more off limits.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

I've just finished a pretty large and heavily defended multi-piece site.

Here's the VC sky fortress (not included in the map) after successfully defeating it:

[​IMG]
    It was a heavily armed craft, but most of the guns got destroyed. The bridge is totally destroyed and the refinery section has a huge hole right through it. You can see the sun shining . There's some major damage to a few engines too. Repairing it would be costly.

So for the average scavenger, it'll be a tough site to gain control of. This wasn't really a fair fight since I just spawned in the most heavily armed atmo-ship I had in my blueprint list. :p

Wow, nice base!

I'm accepting pretty much anything as long as they're a large grid and people don't mind changes being made to them to fit the scenario. I usually remove any extremely valuable stuff and any inventories, then add some loot to fit the situation/scenario, since its centered around scavenging. Heavily defended structures tend to have better loot of course.

Some things I've literally cut in half and buried. Others I've partially replaced a bit/most/all of the interior or added traps. Generally, I try to leave the hull unchanged, or just repaint it. It just depends what it takes to make it fit the area. There are plenty that I've made no changes to, besides blowing holes in. :p

Regardless of any changes I might make, you'll still be credited on the thread/workshop and on an LCD at the starter spawn. :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  28. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

If your going to do multable planets there might be a way to work on each planet indaviduly and then paste in the finshed world and combind the sbc files. If you would like me to look into the fesabilty of this let me know, I have some good ideas on how this can be done. I use to run a server way back when before we had alot of the handy tools we do now and have a fairly good idea how the files for blocks and voxels work. In theory anyway, Id just need some fresh practice.

29. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

A couple pics from this evening's endeavors.

Here's @Daleks2377's scout saucer plunged into a hillside. Left quite a mess along the way too. :stare:
    [​IMG]

Someone that had a rough landing:
    [​IMG]

I've also added a few other sites which include traps.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  30. Daleks2377 Trainee Engineer

Traps? Also my ship looks amazing crashed. How do you get the debris to look covered up?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.