Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

WIP: Mars Scavenger System

Discussion in 'General' started by Syncaidius, Mar 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

They're static/station grids, which can be placed into voxels. The rest is just handy work with the voxel tools to make them look like they're meant to be there. :p

They have the added bonus of being easy on the sim speed compared to mobile grids.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  2. Daleks2377 Trainee Engineer

I've been trying to make normal ships to be non-mobile but when I cover them up and then delete the station support they freak out and explode. [​IMG]
    This ship in particular has a station anchor do I just delete that and it should stay like a station?

• Like Like x 2
  3. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

Stations must be ancored to the ground, if atlest one block is not inside a voxel it will get converted automaticly to a large ship grid and physics will resume on it. One way would be to make a station support coming up and supporting the side that wont be covered up, raising the voxels up to cover and support the other side, then deleat off the tempoary support.
    If the whole bottom will be covered, make the support come in from the top in a "n" shape.

4. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

Made a bit more progress on the world.

Here's @BlackUmbrellas Needlespike transport in pretty bad shape:[​IMG]

One of its nacelles further afield:
    [​IMG]

5. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

How far under can you go inside the needlespikes front half under the sand?
    I think Id have fun trying to squee wheels onto the above ground part, chopping it off at the base, and driving off.

Edit so I dont sound crazy: My military transport I pulled out of a canyon with 3 piston blocks and a landing gear with a skeleton framework above, so like with alittle engineering its totally doable.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  6. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

Hoo boy... must've been pretty bad for them to have crashed bridge-first. Keep up the good work!

7. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

Hehe, yeah. I was trying out a theme of 'broke in half during re-entry' after a battle in orbit. The other half is a few clicks away.

Speaking of battles in orbit, that'll be included in the scenario. So the stuff you find on the ground will actually fit with the stuff in orbit and hopefully make sense, instead of just looking like random space junk spammed around the map. :p

That particular wreck is only 1/2 ship, but there are plenty that are in (mostly) one piece and cleared of voxels below ground, while buried. ;)

Some 1/2 buried ships have a few intact valuables attached to the buried parts, just to make excavating them a worthwhile venture.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  8. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

Nice! I saw a suggestion somewhere about putting custom pirate bases that spawn PMWs in orbit; any opinions?

9. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

How goes this?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

Been poking around with files. I can make a drone that does whats needed, and I can make antennas that will spawn them, the issue is there is no distance check as far as I can tell for the antenna to how far away a player is, or how it handles more than one player.
    What would most likely have to happen is you set max drones for the spawn group to 1 with like a 30 minuet respawn timer. There would always be atlest one drone spawned at all times and you would have to set him up for a "check range of nearest player, if less than X, go after him".
    Theres not a very good non laggy way to do it.

11. Arcturus Senior Engineer

This might be good inspiration for a shipwreck:

Many scavenger wrecks that I see in this or similar threads are on flat ground. What if something flew into or fell partway down a cliff?

12. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

Sorry about the delay, got sidetracked by some things. Here's that refitted pirate base as well as a cruiser and a shuttle:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

Sorry about the lack of updates, I've had less free time than usual this week.

I've been finishing up the rest of the debris trail and crash sites of @BlackUmbrellas railspike transport.

Here's the rear half of it:
    [​IMG]

The interior is pretty much intact, minus some damaged windows to allow sand to flow inside. The large hall/lobby seemed too good to blow up. :p

That huge hole blasted in the side is very deceiving...

• Like Like x 2
  14. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

Sweet. Those will fit right in. :)

EDIT: Woops, double post.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  15. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

Any updates on this?

16. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

*Gently pokes thread with a stick~*

17. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

Hoping to get back to this soon. I just need to find more free time.

The latest update certainly made things easier, now that we can paste ships directly into the ground without editing the blueprints to be static beforehand.

18. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

I figured! Also, if I heard right that even works for small grids? Which I'm sure opens whole new possibilities!

19. Spets Master Engineer

yeah, I thought about this topic also after this last update. It also seems to be way much less lag/freezing when you paste a large ship into the ground

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.