Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

WIP: Scavenger Survival World

Discussion in 'General' started by Sofa, Jan 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

*sorry for necroing* I really want to know what has happened to the project

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Clunas Junior Engineer

This needed a necro desperately.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. grant.ivy Apprentice Engineer

Is it possible currently to make abandoned mines? Because that would be awesome :)

4. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

Why not? voxel changes get saved, and you can place stuff underground aswell

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

I hope Keen take note of this and do something involving random/procedural wreckages in the future.

By procedural wreckages I mean, take a pre-made ship and randomly apply damage/loot/debris to it, in a non-retarded way. :p

Looking forward to playing your map @Sofa!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

They could do that. But it would be easier to take the same ship, smash it into a planet a dozen times, then just add loot to blocks that can hold cargo and survived the impact.... then blueprint your favorite ones and make them part of the game.

7. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

So I ran a little test and set the refinery speed in the .cfg file to 0.001

It seems to work.

I'm thinking on a scavenger world to allow for resources like ore. But if you turn the refinery speed down to something insanely slow, players will be more apt to scavenge for what they need than to wait all day for a handful of ingots. However, leaving the refining option on (but slow) creates some more dynamics in game play.

My thought is to slow down refining to a point where it's not effective to refine uranium using reactor power. You'll want to scavenge it or if you really need some, you'll create a solar powered set-up. Uranium driven vehicles will be possible, but the cost of operating them will be pretty high.

Ore farming would be very time consuming, require lots of solar power, and multiple refineries to yield meager results. I haven't tested this yet on oxygen generators, but I suspect they are simply specialized refineries and would produce oxygen and hydrogen slowly as well.

I'm thinking of possibly taking over or creating a fork in the project with my own spin.

I'd like some help though. Here are the things that I need.

1. A person to locate a suitable desert type planet.

2. Someone who knows a little about planets who can help me remove ice from the surface and possibly add ice deep within the planet. I'd still want the other ore types at or near the surface (see above).

3. Someone who knows his or her way around mods so we can replace all of the cargo ships with custom models. I'm thinking that we create whole ships that are armed, with beacons, that fall from the sky but not as frequently as they currently do. If the beacon survives as well as a reactor, the beacon will draw multiple players to the crash site. This should be an interesting dynamic... cooperation? conflict? The rate should be slow so that every ship counts and that the server doesn't bog down with ships that do not get salvaged and slow the server down.

The majority of these cargo ships should be pretty tough to defeat in open space (once players get there). Even the wreckage they may still have a lot of active weapons and ammo. Approach with caution.

There will be a handful of smaller ships with no beacons and not a lot of resources. Finding one of these means there's less of a chance of another player finding it... AND YOU. I'm not sure what the balance should be between small easy ships to salvage versus large ones that everyone will be racing to disable and loot. I think we'll have to see how things progress and the level of fun and challenge.

4. Respawn ships. I'm thinking small atmos ships that have enough resources on board to create a medbay, one battery, and one, perhaps two solar panels. Long cool-down times to stop people from spamming respawn ships to build up supplies.

I know how to put in custom respawn ships. I have a mod that blocks the default ones and another custom one that allows me to insert any ship I'd like as a respawn ship.

Granted, this is a little bit of a fork from the OP. There may be some fine-tuning involved. I like having multiple strategies involved. Scavenging means a lot of competition. Farming will require figuring out how to power your refineries effectively and hide/protect them from scavengers. Farming ore might give you an advantage against scavengers who run the risk of getting killed by other scavengers. Maybe a mixture of both for some people?

And well, there's always trying to build up enough resources to get off world to the asteroids before someone attacks you and takes your stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

9. Spets Master Engineer

I like that desert planet, so good for testing vehicles, and very Kharak feeling

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

I've been having a shot at making my own scavenger map set on a Mars type of planet. Having an atmosphere with no oxygen has actually made it quite interesting (and challenging).

11. Farindark Apprentice Engineer

Greetings

Sadly though @Sofa is still active here as recently as yesterday it seems the project has petered out as they have not been back to the topic since Jan 28 after three consecutive days posts with a few pics. Who knows though maybe they have just been working hard on the planet. :(

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I like this one

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=584407944

There are other resources buried deep.

I can just use the voxel tools to carve out some caverns and then replace the space with ice. Maybe even a few other surprises buried underground.

Also, I thought of placing some permanent wrecks on the planet and partially burying them. Basically take a ship and wreck it up a bit. Blueprint the wreck. Then put a merge block on it, then anchoring it to planet and cover it, partially, in voxels. I might want some help on this. Maybe I'll even make it a community project on a private server.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

One idea Id like to see is for the respawn ship, since they are droped from a known hight to basicly be a chair and enough heavy armor blocks to absorb the impact with the ground, and give the player a tank of hydro, a grinder, and a weilder. Anything else go start scavaging. With the speed limet impact speed is always the same

14. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

I have a modified banana-boat for that. badly damaged, and only able to generate a bit of power for the medbay. used as a station i can bury it in the ground and shape some voxels around, violá: a nice stranded escape ship

15. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

These are all good. Where I'm currently at: I'm evaluating different starting planets. Right now, I'm prefering Robert's suggestion rather than my own.

The difficulty I am currently having is placing the planet on the map. I can't get the lander to spawn in the sweet zone for the lander to catch the gravity well of the planet. The lander too often spawns out of range of the planet's gravity or so close that it crashes or yields an unsatisfactory start.

No matter where I move the planet, it's never quite right. I don't know of any way to force the lander to respawn in a particular place nor have I found any guides or information to do that.

Until that matter is sorted, customizing the planet can't be done as moving everything on the planet will probably be pretty difficult.

Any suggestions to controlling or controlling for where a respawn ship starts would be helpful.

16. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

I usually do it like this: place a roid where the ground goes, then fly away until the desired ground clearance is reached, then use the planets "circles" to see if they are behind or in front of the roid. (granted you aligned everything right)

17. StormField Apprentice Engineer

You have PM.

18. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Aha... okay so lay down an asteroid and put a GPS coordinate on it that's an appropriate distance from 0,0,0 then spawn the planet directly behind it.

I'll see if that works as far as the gravity well. If I can spawn 8/10 times in the gravity well, then that will be good enough not to frustrated people when they are stuck in a lander that can't go anywhere.

19. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

afaik, in multiplayer people spawn a few km apart

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Sofa Apprentice Engineer

I haven't had anything too interesting to show lately and also been distracted with other stuff.

Also the game constantly crashes when I try using voxel hands and I get impatient.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 4
  21. grant.ivy Apprentice Engineer

22. Daleks2377 Trainee Engineer

If you can't finish it, how about releasing it so we can help finish it as collaboration?

23. Dumbrarere Trainee Engineer

This reminds me of Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak for some reason. :p

24. Clunas Junior Engineer

sad news is sad. Hope it gets better for you

25. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

So perhaps this project can be merged with the Mars Scavenger project? If so, then we'll all go over there. I have no problems with that.

I've been kicking around game play ideas.

So far:

1. Ultra slow refineries. This can be done without a mod. Rollin' your own will take an incredibly long time. So scavenging is much faster but more dangerous.
    2. MOD NEEDED. I want a mod that affects a few critical blocks. Reactors, batteries, and refineries cannot be built but still work. So if a cargo ship or exploration ship drops from the sky, has one, and it survives the fall, you can cut it out of the ship and then move it to your base or ship. This will take a bit of actual ENGINEERING to figure out the best way to remove the blocks in tact and then join them up with another ship. So people will be competing over crashed ships not just to grind them down, but to rescue useful blocks from them.
    3. Should cargo ships and exploration ships have ion engines? Having them fall in your lap means being able to leave the planet. How this would affect gameplay of forcing people to concentrate on the planet, I don't know. But I'd like there to be some sort of space element.

I'm still pondering the dymanics of the server.

@RobertmxD If you want me on the other project since you're already contributing over there, I'd humbly go.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Daleks2377 Trainee Engineer

I think this is a fun idea, I would definitely try that server out. though with dantus as main planet so we fight over ice all the time and to keep the planet populated, perhaps their can be two factions, the less advanced in tech ice raiders that live on the planet and an invading force that comes from another planet, I would like to see the outcome of that.
    Edit: I really think a mod should be made that locks your tech to a certain degree based on your faction, like the planet dwellers can't make ion thrusters and certain advanced tech like gravity generators and they can't make advanced tools, while the invading force can use most tech for except rocket turrets. plus building a rocket would require ice, if you have hydrogen then other planet dwellers would probably attack you.
    Edit2: I am loving this idea, I hope this is possible.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  27. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Well there won't be any pre-defined factions or tech-levels. The focus of the game will be on using your own mental skills to survive and overcome. I'm developing a narrative. There will be crashed ship sites, buried cities (rather small due to game limitations), and even an area called "Battle of Kharek Pass" where there will be land based vehicles smashed up and half buried as the aftermath of a long ago desperate battle.

There will be a quest with clues around the planet for finding the underground lakes of ice.

Refineries can be set to fractional refine rates of less than 1.0. So slowing down the refining process so that generating uranium ingots from uranium reactors is a net loss (better use solar instead). You can scavenge, you can attempt refining, each has an advantage but a lot of draw-backs. Not being able to build reactors and refineries should be a great twist as you must scavenge those complex blocks from crashed ships. That means cutting them out and figuring out how to haul them away, and placing them in your own base (probably best to use merge blocks).

Ships that are falling from the sky will have beacons that are well within the ship and protected by interior turrets. So when a ship crashes, the beacons will attract other players from all over the map. What happens when people compete for the same resource? Well the human condition will play out: kill your competitors, work together, betray each other after the heavy work is done? Try to haul off big chunks of ship to grind down at your secret base? Sneak in like a ninja and just take the most important resources as fast as you can? Build up the crash site with defenses to ward off other players?

It should be really open-ended and challenge players to create strategies.

28. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

i see a problem with no refining capabilities: you won't get a lot of power cells. they require a lot of nickel and they can't be scavenged

29. Silenthunter Trainee Engineer

I know next to nothing about modding but it seems that it could be done by making all reactors, batteries and refineries require powercells to operate and mod the powercell to require an inconceivable amount of platinum to construct. Since powercells in batteries are turned to scrap when ground down (and I'd guess it would happen with anything with powercells in them) it would be next to impossible to build but still allow them to be in game.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

on thing i did on selfmade scavenging maps (boring, i know) was extract the batteries as a whole and then attach them via crane and mergeblock

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.