Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Without procedural worlds, it won't last. I love survival mode, but i gotta be honest!

Discussion in 'Survival' started by Baleur, Mar 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Dracoslayer16 Trainee Engineer

While what you say is true that Uranium deposits are finite, the amount of uranium in a single asteroid is quite large and would last for a very long time. Especially if you start a map with 7 or more asteroids.

2. Crazy Joe Trainee Engineer

Resources in general being finite creates a problem for the whole 'survival' aspect. If you wanted to play like people play Minecraft survival, you would want to attempt to live as long as possible. Currently, this game literally has a hard cap on how long you can sustain yourself and build structures. This hard cap is significantly reduced when you introduce more players via multiplayer. It doesn't really matter how the developers do it, but for a game involving 'survival', it absolutely has to have infinite resources. Otherwise it's not survival, it's 'how long can you make a predetermined amount of uranium last'.

I'm not complaining, mind you. I'm simply making a point. I'm willing to wait as long as it takes and I'm certain I will support how ever the developers decided to implement this kind of thing. Infinite resources, procedural generation or otherwise, is a requirement for this game to stick around and have a relevant 'survival' mode.

3. DJB Systems Trainee Engineer

Heres what I'm thinking.

You start a game of survival as normal, your sector gets asssigned a code at the start, eg: 4422

Then, once you have enough resources, build a Stargate as previously suggested.

You can travel to other sectors by punching in their code into the stargate panel.

This way you can access public servers (that distribute their code to everyone), and restrict access to your own sector by only distributing your code to friends and allies.

4. MadPhil Trainee Engineer

I like that idea a lot - makes me think of Hypergrid as used for Open Sim environments.

5. DarkGhost Junior Engineer

Don't forget it's still an alpha. Before the survival update, there was NO CHOICE at all about the numbers of asteroids. It was those set in the map and kthxbai. Isn't that an improvement compared to before ? Next step would be to simply generate them dynamically while you play, either when you change sector as suggested above, either at a "natural disaster" event triggered by "this or that".

6. brainsuker Apprentice Engineer

You know, when I played the survival mode, I feel like a person who have been punished with an uncureable decease, wait to die, and the Uranium is my pills to prolong my life. Well, at least until the solar system come to play and I haven't try it yet.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.