Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Worth building with light armor?

Discussion in 'General' started by Howitz, Nov 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Howitz Junior Engineer

is it worth building a huge ship with light armor given the fact that heavy armor might come in in some next update? will there be a way to turn my huge ship light armor blocks into heavy ones? or will i just have lost my time?

2. GeneralApathy Apprentice Engineer

Got the same question as well - might be more appropriate for the Devs to answer, but who knows.

3. Corban Trainee Engineer

I'm going to assume that heavy armor, if it comes in, will have some serious draw backs to it.

4. hrdrok Apprentice Engineer

There is no way to know for now. I would plan on not being able to switch armor after you have built it. This is alpha release so always plan on losing time. :p

5. GeneralApathy Apprentice Engineer

You can already activate an early version of heavy armor and see for yourself.

I'd imagine that someone will eventually make a mod or some blueprint functionality to help change block types, but that won't be for a while.

In the meantime, I'm just going to keep on building. Nothing else I can do about it.

6. Kamoba Senior Engineer

What he said...

I saw you posted this in someone else's thread, you've not really wasted your time...

Firstly... This is early access alpha, there is no guarantee that we can use what we have built when the final release comes out, there is the possibility of it, but assume the worst and use this open playground to improve on designs....

You made a heavy fighter using light armour?
    How easy does it handle?
    How well does it accelerate?
    How well does it fly with three small vessels docked on it?

Because it won't do half as well with everything made from heavy blocks...

My advise, don't worry about this one build too much, and prepare yourself to either upgrade your ship so that when heavy armour is available you can just replace armour in key areas...

Or

Improve the design in a second build.
    Figure out more secure locations for the ship innards.
    Work out a back-up system for if your ship was hit at its most important parts.
    :)

7. jcl78 Trainee Engineer

I am definitely not getting too attached to my designs as I too believe that we might not get to carry over our ships after major design changes.

I do have to say, I am wowed by some of the community creations (bacon comes to mind) and how much time has been invested by them.

I think heavy armor will be perfect for cruiser / battleship designs, but not for the outer hull. I am thinking key areas such as the bridge, reactor room, etc. Sure they can blow away some of the light armor, only to expose heavy armor around key areas.

8. Kamoba Senior Engineer

Exactly! If you had heavy armour everywhere...
    Well you'd not get very far very fast...

9. ZioMatrix Trainee Engineer

But you'd also be significantly harder to destroy as opposed to a ship made of light armor.

I'm probably going to restrict using heavy armor for bases/ships designed to be slow. If it's designed to take a beating, I don't care how slow it is. So long as it does it's job, I can be patient.

10. Falidell Apprentice Engineer

a light armour block takes 25 steel plates to make
    a heavy armour block takes 150 blocks to make.
    thats a 600% increase in mass.

so if your ship is ~6,000,000 mass atm. then it will now be ~36,000,000 give or take due to not all mass is armour

further note
    each steel plate is 20mass and 100 integrety
    25*20=500 mass each light block
    150*20=3000 mass each heavy block
    25*100=2,500 HP each light
    150*100=15,000 hp each heavy MUCH STRONGER

at least these are the figures thats within the game files that are currently under development

my suggestion is maybe limit the use of heavy blocks. ex. a light cruiser will have hard points where it's preferred attacking face is. if deals max damage when the side is facing the enemy then place heavy Armour near important areas.
    if you are building a heavy attack cruiser it's acceptable to be slower and less maneuverable then the light cruiser. so it's fine for it to be entirely made of heavy armour

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.