Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

You got a LOOONG way to go devs

Discussion in 'General' started by Master Payne, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Master Payne Trainee Engineer

So I just bought the game today. And at $7 I gotta say it was worth it. Not the game, but that I don't feel too bad I missed the joke Steam's refund window is, at 2 hours.

Why is the Steam window a joke - I played your game using the Lander on a planet setting (sorry, don't have the name committed to memory), and it took me almost 20 minutes just to find a suitable landing spot.

1 hour and 40 minutes left.

Then it took me almost 15 minutes fussing about in the ten thousand control, assembly, inventory and all sort of other panels to decide, yeah I probably should find some iron, just for the heck of it.

1 hour 25 minutes left.

After about 30 minutes of running, 'flying' and digging around, I found some iron deposits. Brought that back to the ship, dropped the lot into a cargo box, then listened in delight as something started grinding away inside. Easy enough, so I decided to find something a bit more exotic. I remembered as I coasted over an ice patch seeing some gold. So I packed up, lifted off, and soon thereafter landed just near a "gold" marker that appeared to be just below the surface of an icy area. And the fun began. Only from the ship for some ungodly reason, and while using the ALT key + mouse, could I see that gold marker. I jumped like a rabbit in and out of the ship almost ten times trying to nail down the exact location of a "Gold 71m" marker. Comically, I dug so far down while looking left, right, up and down almost every meter, that when I finally gave up and tried to get out of that rabbit hole, my flight suit barely had enough fuel left! Let's just say I dug down about 100 meters.

10 minutes left (I spent some time on YouTube trying to figure out why I was not having so much fun)

I thought, this just ain't right. I can clearly see the marker from the ship, but on foot nothing? One more time. Stupid me forgot to recharge the suit fuel. I jumped back down that hole with all kinds of determination and dug sideways and down some more. All pissed off I gave up and decided to just move to another location. Oh wait. Why is H2 showing red? Well now I'm stuck in this hole. But worse yet, I'm stuck with this game because I've been in this hole for almost 20 minutes!

Why? Why is it so hard for you guys to make something in this game that just works? Before posting this, and right after looking through the Steam refund policy, I saw the game was released in 2013. I get it's just now in beta, but you're telling me that people paid you far more than I just did, and only to fuss around while trying to find necessary resources? I can only imagine how bad it was. Sorry, but why in hell would you purposely develop a game that is unnecessarily frustrating?

And lastly, please tell me you plan to fix this nonsense of seeing resources from the ship a hundred meters away, but not when standing right on top of it.

• Disagree x 19
    • Funny x 4
    • Informative x 2
    • Late x 2
    • Like x 1
  2. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

Wow, I bet you're fun at parties. Maybe try the missions or tutorials instead of jumping feet first into a game you know nothing about. Or better yet do that and then not complain that you know nothing about the game. Or better yet, don't play it if you're that unhappy about it.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. ShadedMJ Apprentice Engineer

And have that take up the 2 hour time limit?

When I started to get interested in this game, I made accounts and read all the discussions for 3 months before purchasing the game. I knew pretty much what to expect then.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. shimonu Apprentice Engineer

Because that ship have ore detector? That big one not that tiny one that is put into hand drill. Or was there other problem with it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Timotei~ Apprentice Engineer

The problem here is not in the game itself. It is a design problem in the atmospheric lander. It should have had an antenna equipped to be able to transmit the location of the ore to the character. Hopefully, the incoming next generation of planetary landers will take this feedback into account and have one by default to avoid that confusion.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Gth Trainee Engineer

And yet you didn't pick up on antenna mechanics. OK.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

reminds me of the first few days of space engineers.
    the game has a very steep learning curve and playing on survival does take time serious getting used to and playing to get comfortable in the controls and gameplay.
    [​IMG]
    on the bright side you didn't say anything about a bad framerate so you must have a pretty decent rig.

so instead of instantly disliking and/or shooting you down for saying anything bad about space engineers...how about this.

you picked the atmospheric respawn lander.
    it has a "beacon" which is why it always told you where it was..
    http://spaceengineers.wikia.com/wiki/Beacon
    and it has an "ore detector" which can locate nearby ore......with an ore detector it can tell you were some ore is while you're seated on the ship.
    http://spaceengineers.wikia.com/wiki/Ore_Detector
    if you disassemble the "beacon" using your saw you can then build an "antenna"
    http://www.spaceengineerswiki.com/Antenna
    it functions alot like the "beacon" but is much more powerful and if you have an "ore detector" on the same ship it will tell you where ore is without you having to control the ship.

to find ore deposits look for darker patches on the ground while on a planet...in space you just have to scout out the space rocks to see what ores they have
    [​IMG]

lastly if you hold your hand drill in your hands it has a very short range ore detector which can help you identify which type of ore you'll find.

but if you're exploring a planet with your jetpack ensure you grab a bottle of hydrogen from that respawn ship...it should contain two....reason being on a planet there is gravity your jetpack has to fight against so it uses much more fuel than normal.
    if you're in space i'd rather say just grab a bottle of oxygen since in space you jetpack doesn't have to push as hard because its not fighting gravity.

Space engineers does have a very very steep learning curve...something does keep bringing me back. maybe its the weekly updates..maybe its the modding scene....maybe its the community. maybe all three.

the one thing i can say i do really love is its conveyor system which is what you experienced when you put that iron ore into the cargo container.
    when blocks are connected together they can automatically take items to other blocks like you put the iron ore into a cargo container...the ships refinery detected this and pulled the iron ore into itself so it could refine it into iron ingots....the ships assembler can then request iron ingots when its making parts if it can find the necessary ingots

all that being said i myself have left the game enraged a bunch of times. :p
    its the perfect Sith training program.
    i remember a time wheeled rovers would sink into the ground and explode.....many a time i had crafted a life support rover only for it to do that and ruin my game.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. russo_bolado Junior Engineer

1-post, joined "Today" user. Pretty run-on-the-mill rant post.

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. Me 10 Jin Apprentice Engineer

Which is exactly why Keen ought to pay attention to them. Currently, Mister OP has likely left a negative review on steam or asked for a refund (the 2 hours is only for "no questions asked" refund... with questions), neither of which are optimal for Keen.

A non-insignificant portion of new players will ignore the tutorial and jump in feet first and blame the game's design(ers) for their failure. This is a fact, and no amount of "git gud!" will change it. Wise game developers will account for this; mediocre ones will remain mediocre.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

We should all be praising Clang that he didn't kill himself with his ship welder, or who knows what the next update would change.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

I'm happy he was able to touch down safely without saying his ship ran out of fuel. [here come dat battery bug]

12. halipatsui Senior Engineer

You can build a mining ship with ore detector

13. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

I guess I'd be angry too if I spent $7 on a game that took more than 2 hours to figure out.

Oh, no I wouldn't. I regularly spend more than that during steam sales on games I KNOW I'll never play (and yet, I STILL feel oddly satisfied having bought it)

I also know I wouldn't rely on a 2 hour trial to evaluate an incomplete game.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

Oh hell no, players like the OP who jump right in and ignore tutorials then blame the game for being too difficult or complicated are the reason many games are getting dumbed down.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 3
  15. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

The OP would have my sympathy if he had tried the East Start, or a tutorial. Instead, jumping in at the deep end and moaning the thing is too tricky and complicatred is just plain all over dumb.

Sorry if that offends...but it's my view.

It is a complicated game, and it does take a while to get used to, but blaming the developers for a complex game that someone couldn't figure out is a reflection on the player. Sure jump in at the deep end and figure it out ( can be fun ) but it's gonna take more than 2 hours. If you can't/won't take the time to learn a complicated game, are not interested in doing any research or asking questions, and can't be bothered with teh simple starter scenarios or the tutorials...well...this game is not for you. Get your money back and go play a game that has a lot less complexity.

If you have a bit more staying power, there are lots of people able to help here, and some sensible feedback on how the game can be made more accessible might be useful to the developers. The game isn't finished ( It's an early access title ) and things may well change

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

I'd agree.

keep games punishing and brutal.
    I have yet to die because my ship ran out of power or i died from lack of oxygen.

i usually die more stupid gravity based or glitch based deaths.

if i die due to wolfs or because im trying to dodge bullets far enough

only once i've ever died because my ship ran out of power...it only had a single battery and 2 atmospheric thrusters.....i felt pretty crappy about it but had to accept that one was my own fault for not adding another power block.....then again the battery power just instantly shut off. :p wheres IRL batterys slowly drain of power.

17. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

To be fair if OP had tried the 'easy' start worlds it wouldn't be much better. Whenever i've tried those i've ended up running around like a headless chicken for 2 hours until the base runs out of ammo and then gets slowly eaten by the drone attacks.

It doesn't help that the fighter is woefully unhelpful because the cockpit is right on the front and gets blown out as soon as you get within turret range unless you are strafing like a madman.

18. Roxette Senior Engineer

To be fair, the game *was* a lot more noob-friendly when you started in space, without buggy-as-all-hell-planets, with half a dozen asteroids covered in nice visible ore deposits.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Bullet_Force Apprentice Engineer

Try multiplayer and then you will truly 'appreciate' how 'fun' this game is..

20. halipatsui Senior Engineer

But you still can start from space?

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Roxette Senior Engineer

That isn't as simple as it sounds, because if planets are present the default space spawnships still put you in the gravity well of a planet and need to be flown away from the planet for several minutes before they are safe...

22. halipatsui Senior Engineer

I meant the lone survivor/green station starts

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. crazyrobban Apprentice Engineer

Irony? I've spent about 300 hours in multiplayer and have had a great experience with some of the most fun co-op of my life.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. odizzido Junior Engineer

It's a post covering a good amount of the noob mistakes you can make. Somehow I feel that if you were to just simplify the starting lander so it has no ore detector or anything then people wouldn't get confused. If you know what you're doing you can build one easily enough.

And yeah, steam is a pile of turds. Buy from gog whenever possible. SE is served with turd only though :(

25. Cetric Junior Engineer

Suggest you rename yourself to "Apprentice Payne" then, if you dare honoring us with your prolonged presence in the forum (and the game) to which I nevertheless want to encourage you.
    Accept the challenge. Space is no kindergarden!
    --- Automerge ---
    Yes, he could just choose creative in mid space and have fun. later, when he would become a "master" he still could venture on survival again.

26. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

You buy a sandbox game that's still in development and it's harder to play than Candy-Crush? NOoOOOoOOooOooOooo!

You bought it for $7 and you're angry? All that money could have gone to a Jumbo Jack, fries and a Coke! NooOOoooOooOOoo.

Tutorials. They exist for a reason.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. ViroMan Senior Engineer

lmao @ all the responses...

[​IMG]

successful troll?

28. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

[​IMG]

didn't feed the troll if it was....attempted to educate the user
    *bass dab*

• Like Like x 1
  29. ViroMan Senior Engineer

The first hour or so of my playing this game was just F'ing around seeing what could be done and what things looked like. I did not even bother trying to "stay alive". I did not make the assumption things would be "easy" or even make sense(duh it is a game) I just went with... "Lets poke around before I attempt somewhat logical things."

30. Graewerld Trainee Engineer

I have mentioned in a previous post that in buying the game I first started on 'lone survivor' and kept dieing; start again with "well that didn't work", die again and again and again, yet not once have I even thought this program sucks. I learn from my mistakes - either by asking around (many here have been very helpful), or rethinking what to do next.

SE Rocks! Imho.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.