Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Your plans for planets?

Discussion in 'General' started by DasPenguin, Oct 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Sinbad Senior Engineer

@Jumach welcome to the active side of the forum :D
    here is your new members kit:
    1x lifetime ticket to the hype-train (with meal car access)
    5x spare F5 keys for assorted keyboard models
    1x open invitation to post in the 'show off your creations' thread
    1x letter from the mods reminding you to read the forum rules
    1x ignore button (hopfully never required)
    1x like button (for gratuitous over use ;) )
    1x right to claim as many asteroids and planets as 'yours' as you can find.

enjoy!

• Like Like x 1
  2. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

I definitely did not read thst as croissant... Nope... At all...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jumach Trainee Engineer

Thanks for the welcome, and I do intend to share some creations. That likely won't happen until planets as I'm trying to avoid playing until they are released. Trying to avoid the dreaded burnout. I wish I was the kind of person that can get 1000+ hours out of a game... Funny that you mention spare F5 keys, my keyboard literally did come with spares. As for the meal car access, I'm afraid I must decline. I will also be forgoing food until planets drop. Until then, I will sit in the dark, making the most of my F5 keys.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Kira Apprentice Engineer

I have well over a thousand hours logged. I shutter to think how many.

5. Sinbad Senior Engineer

Keen, we have a hunger strike here! lives are in your hands, keen. this poor engineer is subsisting on a diet entirely consisting of F5 keys until planets are released. not even any vitamin D supplements.

also, your Public Relations guy should be warned that i have instructed my lawyers that if i am found dead of a heart attack or stroke either next friday morning or the one following, having expired between the hours of 0430 and 0600, they are to contact you seeking damages. surprises are fun, but consider your demographic...
    just covering all bases. they have similar instructions concerning Gabe Newel and HL3. bethesda came very close earlier this year, but my will to play FO4 was stronger than the lure of the light.

6. tharkus Junior Engineer

What do i plan to do when planets arrive?
    im going to ride this vehicle ive made and explore in the search for those multi-legged bugs ;)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. Dreokor Senior Engineer

Whoa there....hunger strike? I thought we were all going to chain ourselves to Keen's office main entrance and scream "GIVE US PLANETS" until they release planets....I mean....that was the plan....

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  8. TehGM Apprentice Engineer

I have few things I'd like to do. If I do them, it all depends on my mood, lazyness, time etc. But, so far:
    - Crash my own ship into a planet. Even if the ship isn't really finished.
    - Crash Keen ships into a planet. That's a must.
    - Build at least semi-automatic mining facility.
    - Underground rail system, like Black Mesa train system seen in the begining of Half-Life.
    - Orbital gate station - normal space ships could go there, and I could change to a ship designed to travel between the station and planet.
    - TOWER! Every game where you build, you need a tower.
    - Build cruise missile silos partially underground.

And well, that's pretty much it. Rail system is the most questionable as it'd require a lot of time in survival. And in creative too, actually.

.. And then expand...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Demo Apprentice Engineer

It will be nice to actually have a reason for wheels and wheeled vehicles. I prefer ground vehicles in general but they don't seem feasible right now no matter the design.

When planets come gona have to get my rock raider on :p
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  10. Iskaroth Trainee Engineer

First I`ll dig a strip mine for recources.
    After that I`ll use the hole and the minerals I get for the construction of a giant underground base.

11. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

IIRC, w4stedspace actually found out that ore follows slightly different speed rules. Either it can go faster than ships or it builds up some sort of "buffer" of speed; in his experimentation, it went much further than it should have assuming a 104m/s cap.

12. Jumach Trainee Engineer

I just can't wait to build some functional wheeled vehicles. I know it's kind of taboo around here but I'd really enjoy at least a mod that allows for food and water requirements for survival. Not that I'm going to eat anything until planets come out...maybe thsee F5 keys though....

Edit: I also want ladders! Perhaps retractable ones...

• Like Like x 1
  13. thatguywithahammer Apprentice Engineer

Fair enough. Are ore cannons still effective? I've noticed lately that heavy armor has been fairly resistant to collisions from small ships, but I'm not sure if this applies to ore.

14. Aoi Trainee Engineer

I will be making a bomb for my ABA mod and blowing the crap out of stuff I build.

15. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

I've seen some discussion on that; from what I gather, you need to use larger rocks for them to work, since small ones (like those ejected from a connector) just don't have the mass to do damage.

16. Jumach Trainee Engineer

I've seen some pretty intense ore cannon footage. Would love to see something like that able to launch a pod far enough to use standard thrusters to achieve 'orbit'.

17. Caesar15 2 Trainee Engineer

Steel sheets also work.

18. Echillion Senior Engineer

I'm gonna mine the rest of the solar system and build a dyson sphere around the planet!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sasquatic Trainee Engineer

Depending on how the gravity and orbital mechanics work, I want to find a way to launch satellites into orbit without being onboard. Already been testing with spherical generators and asteroids.

20. BardTale Apprentice Engineer

I guess it's time for me to put my two cents in. I'm going to open the universes largest demolition derby. No holds barred. You build it, you drive it. Last vehicle standing wins a lifetime supply of silicone!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  21. Bumber Senior Engineer

New plan:
    Chain ourselves to Keen's office, douse ourselves in gasoline, then hammer F5 until we self-immolate.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Sinbad Senior Engineer

puppies. every day without planets puppies will die. not a threat, just a statement of fact.

(before folks get grumpy, hundreds of puppies are killed everyday across the world regardless of anything I or keen does)

Edit: just thought of a better one:
    For each day that you withold the glory that is planets, the sun shall be taken from the skies for 4 times the average number of hours in an SE gaming session (3). Casting you all into the despair of darkness that you have cast your players.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  23. Mix-martes86 Senior Engineer

Lol, in Spain they're going to tax the power from solar panels (not joking), so it may happen one day across the whole world. :D

Cheers

24. Sinbad Senior Engineer

shhhh! Don't let australian politicians hear that. One of them wanted to tax urban households for collecting rainwater from their roofs. The reasoning was that they were 'stealing' water that would otherwise end up as groundwater. Still waiting on the air tax for depleating the local oxygen concentration (breathing), making oxygen dependant industries less economicaly competetive.

• Like Like x 3
  25. BardTale Apprentice Engineer

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  26. Sofa Apprentice Engineer

I want to see if I can start on a planet's surface and work my way up; establish planetary infrastructure (for my imaginary colonists, I guess... I'm lonely), develop and launch rockets, build facilities and vehicles in orbit, and basically focus around that whilst waiting for multiplayer to be a possibility.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Cruzz999 Apprentice Engineer

Aside from the obvious, starting on a planet with only a reactor and an arc furnace in survival, I will do a creative test. Build an elevated ring around the planet, and cut all supports simultaneously to see if it holds together. If not, add equatorial support. And then add a west-east ring as final attempt before going full Dyson sphere.

28. Sheena85 Trainee Engineer

Being disappointed after all the hype. That's my plan for planets

29. Nacon Junior Engineer

No plan... Just start from the hard way and go from there, face all challenge unexpectedly to test my ability.

30. Reflexus Apprentice Engineer

I doubt I'll plan this, but my biggest fear is:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.