Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[01.096] "System" Inventores Overhaul

Discussion in 'Balancing' started by Thales M., Aug 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Thales M. Junior Engineer

Small Ship Blocks

Block type ; Block Volume ; Inventory Volume

Small Reactor ; 1 block volume ; 125L
    125L is the volume of perfect 1x1x1 block cube. Reactor must use most of the volume. Also uranium ingot uses little volume, so overhaul won't create gameplay problem. Its inventory volume should be 10L. So, you will be able to put 192 Uranium ingot in to 10L. 1 U ingot requires 0.052L only.

Large Reactor ; 27 block volume ; 1000L
    27 blocks is 3375L. 1000L is less than one third of it. But I think it is still too much. 300L would be better and will allow us to put 5760 U ingot into Large Reactor's cargo.

Drill ; 7 block volume (approximate size of cargo section) ; 3375L
    Now drill has inventory as big as medium cargo container. This needs to be reduced. My estimate is 7 blocks volume for cargo section of drill block. 7 blocks is 875L. Roughly 900L for drill inventory would be OK.

Grinder and Welder ; 27 block volume (utility part excluded) ; 3375L
    3375L is more or less OK but since it is not cargo container we can reduce it a bit. 2400L would be better.

Oxygen Generator ; 18 block volume ; 4000L
    4000L exceeds block's volume. 18 blocks are 2250L. Also large ship oxygen generator's inventory is same, 4000L. I think you forgot to change its small ship version. I can't say what should be the exact inventory of oxygen generator. But if I get same ratio from large ship oxygen generator, it should be 288L. This will allow us to put 778 ice ore in to the small ship oxygen generator. 288L ice ore produces 187L oxygen gas. Also, Oxygen production speed should be lower than large ship version of oxygen generator.

Oxygen Tank ; 27 block volume ; 4000L

4000L exceeds block's volume. 27 blocks are 3375L. Also large ship oxygen tank's inventory is same, 4000L. I think you forgot to change its small ship version. I think 3000L inventory would be OK for small ship oxygen tank.

Large Ship Blocks

Block type ; Block Volume ; Inventory Volume

Refinery ; 16 block volume ; 7500L + 7500L (ore + ingot)
    16 block is 250000L. So, inventory is only 6% of refinery's total volume. I think its inventory should be larger. In my survival games I usually find it very low. 20000L (ore) + 10000L (ingot) would be better since ore volume 7 times bigger than ingot.

Assembler ; 2 block volume ; 1000L + 1000L (ingot + component)
    1000L + 1000L is too low in my opinion. Sometimes assembler becomes filled up with iron ingot and can't get any other ingot so it pauses the production because of that. 2 block volume is 31250L. 2000L is 6.4% of total volume. Assembler's inventory should be at least 2000L (ingot) + 4000L (component).

Oxygen Generator ; 2 block volume ; 4000L
    2 block volume is 31250L. So there should be some overhaul here as well. And small ship oxygen generator should have same ( block volume / inventory volume ) ratio.

2. McTraveller Apprentice Engineer

I like it. I'm a strong proponent that rules of geometry and physics already provide natural "balance", so if things just followed those rules, "balance" would be a trivial task.

3. Thales M. Junior Engineer

I hope you will add these fixes in 1.097 update.

4. russo_bolado Junior Engineer

These suggestions are great. Coming from a gaming perspective, since your suggestions are very reasonable in terms of block geometry, 288 L is too little for Oxygen Generator. 187 L of air gives you approx. 50 min of breathing. Expand it to at least 1125 L, which gives approx. 3,2 h of breathing.

EDIT: Math typos.

5. Galaxian Apprentice Engineer

The thing about the generator opposed to the tank is you can constantly reload it to continue getting more oxygen, it doesn't NEED to cover you for so long on one fill. If you're going long distance in a small ship, it makes sense that you'd need extra systems to cover the life support for it.

6. Harrekin Master Engineer

You know oxygen can be compressed, right?

7. Thales M. Junior Engineer

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.