Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[1.186.5] All lights flickering when you move the camera

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by druppi, Jun 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. druppi Apprentice Engineer

When you moving around lights flicker and turn on & off all the time makes the game practically unplayable

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Zhiila Tester Staff

Hi,

Can you upload the blueprint and post your graphic settings? We know about some flickering but I don't think I ever saw it as much as in this case.

Thanks!

3. druppi Apprentice Engineer

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tamagotchii Trainee Engineer

I am getting the same problem as well

Video settings Low preset
    Nvidia 1080

--- Automerge ---

Is there a a fix for this? a work around? mod or anything? I mean I would just take them out but the head lamp only shines so far and spot lights are doing the same thing.

5. Spaceman Spiff Apprentice Engineer

I have had the same thing occur when I moved and pasted a large module to a grid (just a day or two ago). Only in the pasted module do the lights flicker and, yes, it’s pretty annoying, although far from making the game unplayable. It’s a weird effect to be sure, but sort of fitting for the scenario that I’m building, so I don’t yet see it as a detriment.

6. Oskar1101 Apprentice Engineer

I also have exact same problem. For me it's over a year since one of performance major updates. And it's just a limit of light sources visible on screen(even if such lights are behind walls, voxels or few kilometers away), nothing more. It's really anoying because this limit is stupidly low and you can't light up even medium sized base.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Plongo Trainee Engineer

Have the same problem, been around for awhile.

8. druppi Apprentice Engineer

well after some recherche I noticed that it seams like keen is not "considering" this as a Bug there is a maximum cap of how much light sources can be rendered at once the problem is its waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy to low think its just like 200 light sources and this includes thrusters.
    Unfortunately the Cap is hard-coded. So we just can pray and hope that Keen will lift the the Barrier in the next update and adds a option in the graphics settings to let the user deicide by him self how much Light-sources his GPU can handle, from 100 to infinite.

The best way to avoid problems at the moment is to create Light-groups and turn them off in rooms when they are not needed. also this mod can help, caus it can disable the lighting effects on thrusters:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1354870812

And using less light Sources of-course, You can push down the Amount of used lights by increasing the radius of them:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1315286685

9. Spaceman Spiff Apprentice Engineer

Yeah, the grid I'm on has over 200 light sources. I'm gonna let 'em flicker...they add ambience.

10. Malware Master Engineer

@druppi, what you're showing really must a bug and while it might be affected by the light number restriction, the problem isn't the number restriction itself but seems to be how it selects lights to render. The system should always select the N closest lights so you shouldn't see that kind of flickering.

Also... as an aside... "Just" 200 light sources?!? :p I have a hard time believing there's anything "just" about having to consider 200 light sources at the same time when rendering a scene.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.