Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Airtight hangar door - What is that? Hangar door for ants?!

Discussion in 'General' started by Tipiak, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Tipiak Apprentice Engineer

Greatings,

So I just tried the new airthight hangar door blocks, and it was as disappointing as I was expecting it to be while watching the video...

Hitbox size : 3 blocks tall / 1 block wide.

When opened, only 2 blocks tall are "free", while the third is for the door.

So, at max, considering that you're mirroring the door on the other side, this is a 4 blocks wide you can go throught...

And that, you know, really bugs me.

What are you going to send throught such a small gap?! Space Engineers? Well, if you want to feel like a King, go ahead.
    But I bet half if not more of the small ships fighter sized on the workshop won't even fit.

And I'm in that case.

I use a fairly fighter sized small ship (His other creations are awesome, btw) yet, I find the gap too small to go throught.

Of course, I can fly throught. But it's more like putting on an XS glove than an XL one...

I currently have a 12*7 hangar entrance which is not too much when you're in landing approach at +/- 10 m/s.
    So switching to a 12*4 entrance... Nope. Not skilled enough...

In brief, I currently am not able to enjoy those new blocks as they are too damn small for what I'd call a basic use.

But am I the only one to think this way?

I'd simply like to see a 4*1/1*1 airtight hangar door instead of the currently 3*1/1*1 one. At least.
    Bigger one would be so much enjoyable...

Devs should realize that everything they're currently making are either too small or need 90% more size to work efficiently (*cough* pistons elevator *cough*)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2015
  2. DDP-158 Master Engineer

So you can't build a ship smaller than 40 blocks in height? I don't think even my biggest fighter is even a third of that height.

3. WereBottle Apprentice Engineer

I think you mean 20 (5 small ship blocks per large ship block) however your point still stands

They are fine for regular fighters, utility craft and drones.

4. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

To quote myself:

That fighter you linked would EASILY cruise through a space 4 blocks tall.

My tallest small ship:
    [​IMG]

NO PROBLEM.

5. Dreokor Senior Engineer

Use your imagination.

You can place some in vertical and some in horizontal position and still keep the airtight.

Like this:

[​IMG]

Is it large enough?

6. DDP-158 Master Engineer

yeah 20, you're right. Don't know why I was doubling up. Cockpit and large reactor are 3. I usually have one or 2 shielding over that so we'll say 4 for a total of 7. Connector/landing gear added another 1 on the bottom so 8. My last craft had 2 extra on top if I remember right for camera and some thrusters so that puts me at 10. And it had a set of azimuths on the very top so 11. 11 Blocks. Even with a large container being what, 7 blocks? If you keep it skin tight you can still squeeze in a transport.

7. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Those fighters are gorgeous, but they're not terribly compact; for example, the tail fins are nice looking but make them taller than they need to be (on the T-54-1, by a whole meter). My largest hangar -- the deluxe model -- is two blocks tall. If you need more than five meters of space on your smallest dimension to dock a fighter, the fighter needs to be made smaller. The V-9-2, for example, is eight blocks wider than it needs to be -- that works out to two large blocks of hangar width you don't need. The T-54-1 is ten blocks wider than it needs to be.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have pistons (or raaails ... *drool*) that allow for larger openings. But as far as fighter hangars go, 4 large blocks (20 small ones) is pretty good.

My advice is not to try to dock at +/- 10 m/s. That's a more than reasonable approach speed, but it's kinda fast for setting down at. Make your landing bay open to space and as big as you like, and build smaller bays to hold the fighters. That also means you don't have to pressurize such a large volume if you're playing with oxygen. Think Battlestar Galactica: you approach the landing area at full speed, then kill your speed once you're under cover, and dock in a fairly compact area.

8. SpaceLion Trainee Engineer

I feel bigger commercial hangars should be open/not pressurized, too much trouble and resources for not a lot of function. You have to have a full suit to fly out into space anyway :eek:ops: might as well just have an airlock heading out to the hangar floor.

Now, what I have found a use for these doors is my vehicle air lock.. My hangar floor is mostly open being inside of a asteroid, but I have a garage, workshop and cargo bay inside the sealed area. So when I'm welding and repairing ships I load them on my flat bed, and bring them inside through the massive air lock. That is not even mentioning my wheeled drill tractor that I level out floors with..

9. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

It seems functionally identical to just a row at the top and a row at the bottom. Maybe looks cooler. :)

10. Dreokor Senior Engineer

Cooler is better. An upgrade from uncool to cool is an upgrade still.

I need to sleep.

11. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Honestly though this block is the answer to so many of my ideas. My friend wanted me to build a blast door to cover the carriers only windows when in attack mode. Now I can without needing 3x2 blocks worth of pistons to hold 1 block of blast wall to go up one block. And for ages I've been thinking of how to build a ICBM bay door for my space submarine that didn't include a intricate set up of a piston and blocks, or again requiring 3 spaces for a piston to push/pull a door 2 spaces.

12. tharkus Junior Engineer

My fighters tend to be 5x5 in lenght and wide and maximum 3 big blocks in height so, i think the airtight hangar doors works for me but .. yes, maybe later the devs gives us another option, maybe bigger gates.

resuming, for a start, its good enought.

13. Tipiak Apprentice Engineer

Can I see it open?

Because it seems to be still 4 blocks wide verticaly.

Precisions :

• I do not plan on pressurize my whole hangar. Mostly useless. Just having a Hangar door more efficient than a rotor/piston combination.
    • Indeed, I was able to fly through 4 blocks wide. But vs 7 blocks wide, I just simply can't... I like room and space.
    • As windows/other protection, they work really great. Though I prefer blast door toughness.

14. DDP-158 Master Engineer

It's a 4x10 opening if that's what you are wondering.

Edit: It's no different than if they had just stood the one on the ends up like the others.

15. Dreokor Senior Engineer

As mentioned above, it is 4 blocks Tall, it just looks cooler.

Just ignore me, I have a mental lapsus today.

But, I do think it is enough space.

16. Eternal Visitor Trainee Engineer

I don't see how these doors are to small, the two largest small ships I have fit through a 4 block tall opening with no issues.

[​IMG] the shuttlebug, a 20 person transport shuttle with 4 large cargo crates and numerous batteries, fits with a bit of room to spare, but this ship was never meant to be in a hanger.

[​IMG] the Hercules Beetle, my space tank, fits through with lots of wiggle room, though i would still slow down for that approach.

neither of these ships are "to small to be useful", in fact, they're both heavily overbuilt for their jobs, and they're easily the largest shuttles I've ever made.

17. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Yeah that Space Tank of yours is a lot larger than my heavy fighter.

18. Orange_Slime_ Junior Engineer

Space tanks III, The quest for more explosions

19. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Tipiak, I downloaded those fighters you linked, and I can fit them through a 2x5 opening; a 4x10 opening is a huge amount of space, even if you're coming in hot.

[​IMG]
    Heck, you can fit two in there at a time; one is no trouble. That's more space than the hangar of a large carrier I'm working on. Not sure what the problem is. :confused:

20. Ash87 Senior Engineer

You could put the hangar doors on a piston...

21. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Yo dawg, we herd you like lifty things so we put things that lift on things that lift so you can lift while you lift.

Do you even lift bro!

22. Spets Master Engineer

Anyways... I agree, bigger doors will be very appreciated. But I know this is just the beginning, mods coming, future updates, and problem solved everybody happy

23. Volfram Senior Engineer

I fully intend to, thank-you very much. It's about time I got an air-tight door that can give me the kind of entrance I deserve.

WTF ARE YOU BUILDING!? That's not a small ship! That's not even a medium ship, that's a Large ship in Small Blocks! Even most of the Large ships I've built could be fit through a 4-high door.

24. chrisb Senior Engineer

I'm loving the new airtight doors, its a great way to do this. Thanks Keen. :)

25. Tipiak Apprentice Engineer

On a ship, those 4 blocks may be nice.

But for an base inside an asteroid, I CAN'T USE THEM !

Ya know, Asteroids, bases, blah blah, XXL constructions, blah blah... You'll see... One day... Why I found thse too small ;)

26. DDP-158 Master Engineer

As Dwarf pointed out with pictures, 4 x 10 is more than enough for the fighters you specifically mentioned. And if it's 4x10 on a cap ship, it's going to be 4x10 on a station, so looking at the pictures of 2 fighters side by side in the passageway I fail to see how you can't use them. Are you trying to dock the Millennium Falcon?

27. Spets Master Engineer

yeah, what if I want a giant blastdoor for my asteroid base? :bawl:

[​IMG]

28. Far-Seeker Trainee Engineer

OK, so these doors are not helpful for your specific application of putting a huge door on an asteroid bade (presumably to allow you to park your huge capital ship(s) inside). Criticizing the new doors for that is reasonable, but your OP made it sound like they were of no use whatsoever, to anyone. Which of course is wrong.

29. Far-Seeker Trainee Engineer

You use a blast door blocks and pistons just like before? It's not like you have to worry about acceleration on a station...

Edit: Sorry if that came off as flippant, my point was this update only adds to what we can do and some of us are excited about the new possibilities. Also the new hanger doors already allow for airtight passages taller than a four story apartment building and of arbitrary width. I think that's a fairly impressive structural engineering feat.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  30. a2457 Senior Engineer

however...
    i would had more like if the regular player made doors using pistons and rotors could do the job.

one can build a larger door, but it includes a quite clumsy machinery behind it..
    and merge blocks.

got the same issue with it as with wheel suspension block.
    supposedly we engineers should figure out a suspension we like.
    like a live axle, or boogie suspension, or pushrod/pullrod suspension, or double A arm full independent suspension..

same here, nice to have the ability to make airtight hangar doors, but its pre-fab.
    means we can't have folding/rotating/whatever style we find good.
    just this limited single option one.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.