Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

AX-1 Bluehawk

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by artistx, Nov 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. artistx Trainee Engineer

Started out with me trying to make a decent circle using a combination of slopes and ramps but I ended up building a medium sized ship with the result... I may scale up the concept in the future.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've seen alot of really good super huge ships so far so I think I'll focus on more stylish mid-range ships....

Steam workshop
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=191579205

2. bacondeity Apprentice Engineer

Looks nice, but from a design standpoint, you should take into account where the astronaut is in regards to window orientation. ie; in the last picture, the windows near the bottom, they're pointing down. I think it's safe to say that the only way those windows would be useful is if someone was standing on top of them looking down. You should reorient them to look parallel to the floor, that way, when people are passing by, they could see outside without much effort.

It's the little things like that, that when they are done right, go unnoticed, but when done wrong are an eyesore.

3. Arcanine Trainee Engineer

Very nice! Well done. It reminds me of the serenity.

4. artistx Trainee Engineer

Well I never really considered them "windows" from my design perspective they look more like "vents".....

5. eelikay Trainee Engineer

Mid range ships are my favorite, I dont like all the gigantimungus ships that people are making! Also could you upload your ship to steam I would like to check it out! :D

6. OMGTheMuffinMan Moderator

I like your design on that a lot. looks really good.

7. Admiral Yuki Apprentice Engineer

Very nice. It looks both practical and sleek.

8. bacondeity Apprentice Engineer

By definition a window allows you to see out from within (although I do use them in a unique fashion like stairs like you do). Hell, that's not a bad idea to use them visually as vents... But if they're vents, what would they be venting in this particular situation?

(Actually, these look more akin to heat sinks. Putting those around engines to cool them. Because there's not really much to vent...)

9. eddyrob Trainee Engineer

yeah it does look alot like serenity from firefly... did you use that as inspiration?

10. Admiral Yuki Apprentice Engineer

You can also use them to "armor" important ship components. I will sometimes use them to cover the exhaust end of thrusters and for reflector lights etc. I doubt it will actually do much against weapons, but it gives you a nice debris barrier. Also, they make better stairs than the stairs block lol, as you might have noticed.

11. bacondeity Apprentice Engineer

That's a good idea too, Yuki. Totally. I'll take that into consideration. *CAWFF CAUGH* To protect certain thrusters, I've been using a really interesting shape technique around the thruster to be able to put them IN the body of the craft but still make it look like it's a functional piece of the ship and not just a thruster block that I needed to put in to have better acceleration (I'll post up some pictures soon, when I finish my behemoth of a ship... gawd). And yeah, they're good for short stairs. I still use the stairs block when I have enough room.

12. artistx Trainee Engineer

I know I said I'd focus on mediums but I actually had a good idea for a larger ship... and I've been a bit obsessed with it.

here's a preview...
    [​IMG]

I'll upload the bluehawk if anyone who wants to mess around with it.

13. eelikay Trainee Engineer

Yes please! :D

14. bacondeity Apprentice Engineer

Sweet, that's pretty menacing. :woot:

15. artistx Trainee Engineer

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=191579205

Uploaded it to steam workshop (Steams File browser sucks... keeps skipping folders.. took me forever to upload screenshots.)

16. eelikay Trainee Engineer

Subscribed and gave a thumbs up! :D

17. Vaskys Trainee Engineer

Yes, it looks very good, but these guns... They do not fit in the composition!

18. artistx Trainee Engineer

yeah the guns were kinda tacked on at the last moment....

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.